Factory Projector Headlight, moisture inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the actual projector sealed off from the main lens? I have moisture inside the lens in front of the running/turn signal. It's been like this for a few months. I forgot all about it and installed a HD kit. Now I need to take to dealer to have the headlight replaced but wondering how much hassle I'm going to get because I had to drill a hole in the dust cover for the HIDs. Had the same issue on my 2011, non projector obviously and the dealer replaced it even with a HID kit in it. Just need some ammo for the dealer incase they try to tell me is my fault.

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Can you go to the dealer, buy two new dust caps, and take the hid kit off, take it in for the moisture, and re-install?

Seems as that would be the easiest way.

I do believe the projector is technically "sealed" though

OP
OP
K

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it your fault?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it's not my fault. I purchased the truck used in Nov. Noticed the moisture about a week later. Due to the holidays being one of the busiest seasons for my business I was unable to get it in to the dealer. Had a rare Sunday off recently and decided to do the HID kit. Saw the moisture today and realized I should have dealt with the dealer first. I'm 99% sure the dust cover is exactly that, a dust cover and not a water tight seal. The moisture is behind the main headlight lens and not the projector itself.

hinzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Adjust the vent covers in the back until you quit getting moisture

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
x2 - there's a video from Retroshop about that... check out Youtube and you'll find it. He shows how to adjust those caps to help with the moisture issue.

Here's the link....very useful.

Retro Shop

check at about 6:30 for the venting procedure....

Last edited:

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No, it's not my fault. I purchased the truck used in Nov. Noticed the moisture about a week later. Due to the holidays being one of the busiest seasons for my business I was unable to get it in to the dealer. Had a rare Sunday off recently and decided to do the HID kit. Saw the moisture today and realized I should have dealt with the dealer first. I'm 99% sure the dust cover is exactly that, a dust cover and not a water tight seal. The moisture is behind the main headlight lens and not the projector itself.

It is on the dealer to PROVE it's your fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpress14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I'm having the EXACT problem you're having. I let it go and kept saying ehh it's not too bad. Then today the entire headlight was fogged up real bad so I took it out and blow dried the inside and then put it back on and realized it was fogging up by the top perma-seal **** they use from the factory. I tried everything and I'm going to just tell the dealer, I also installed an hid kit but I'm 110% sure that me doing that in no way altered the factory butyl seal.

OP
OP
K

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I'm having the EXACT problem you're having. I let it go and kept saying ehh it's not too bad. Then today the entire headlight was fogged up real bad so I took it out and blow dried the inside and then put it back on and realized it was fogging up by the top perma-seal **** they use from the factory. I tried everything and I'm going to just tell the dealer, I also installed an hid kit but I'm 110% sure that me doing that in no way altered the factory butyl seal.

Did you try adjusting the vents? I watched the YouTube video that was suggested and it seems like an easy fix if it works.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The dust cover being compromised is the reason for moisture. Seal the hole around the wire. It is a dust and moisture barrier sealed with an o-ring.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think that most dealers are going to give you a problem with the fact you drilled the hole in the dust cap. As far as they are concerned, that's why you have condensation in there. You might get lucky and have a service manager who will "take care of it" for you just to make you happy and keep your business. It's a crap shoot.

turboguy327

Reaction score
The hole you drilled is letting moisture inside the housing and causing moisture. At least that's how the dealer will see it as you can't prove they where foggy before the HID install. They will see it as your fault unless you get lucky and have a guy just wanting to help you out.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now, about the condensation. If you did a search on the internet, like I did yrs ago when I first got the condensation in my OEM projector headlights, you would find a bunch of threads on this topic. One of them that I started on this website....see the link below. People have had the headlights replaced under warranty only to have the condensation appear in the new headlights. Most of the time, Chrysler will deny the claim saying it's "normal". Hell, it's even in the owner's manual talking about how condensation in the headlights is "normal". At the end of the day it's just a ****** design which creates condensation from time to time in the right conditions.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/condensation_oem_headlights_fixed-58901/

Ox1500Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now, about the condensation. If you did a search on the internet, like I did yrs ago when I first got the condensation in my OEM projector headlights, you would find a bunch of threads on this topic. One of them that I started on this website....see the link below. People have had the headlights replaced under warranty only to have the condensation appear in the new headlights. Most of the time, Chrysler will deny the claim saying it's "normal". Hell, it's even in the owner's manual talking about how condensation in the headlights is "normal". At the end of the day it's just a ****** design which creates condensation from time to time in the right conditions.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/condensation_oem_headlights_fixed-58901/

This.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat