failed touchscreen 2018 Uconnect 8.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi folks.
Recently the touchscreen on Dad's Uconnect 8.4" unit quit working. It is a 2018 BigHorn. I'm pretty sure you can get just the touch screen glass and replace it correct? I'm just having some trouble identifying which on is the right one for his unit.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well if it is a 18 it's a Panasonic and a screen digitizer combo is around 650.00 for a new one.just a screen is 128.00 but unlike a older harman 8.4 it's held on with sticky goo all over the digitizer and is a pain in the *** to replace.I haven't done it and wouldn't attempt it myself.seikneel bend has some info on it.is it showing a picture and powering on? Or just having trouble with touch commands.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Interested to know the symptoms. Did it quit working completely or does it have a mind of its own?

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Interested to know the symptoms. Did it quit working completely or does it have a mind of its own?
Per dad, it started with it worked sometimes and sometimes not. Now it won't work at all. LCD display and everything else (that you can do without the touch screen) seems to be OK.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Per dad, it started with it worked sometimes and sometimes not. Now it won't work at all. LCD display and everything else (that you can do without the touch screen) seems to be OK.
So the buttons in the bezel surrounding the radio don't work but the touchscreen does work?

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am taking ours in tomorrow just to start the warranty process. I have no delusions of them getting a replacement anytime soon, but at least I can get it documented.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
NO. Just the opposite.
It is the touchscreen that does not work.
It's possible to replace the screen or just the digitizer but not the easiest process for the latter (but much cheaper).

I would first try and reach out to @RamCares to see if they can assist with a replacement radio.

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's possible to replace the screen or just the digitizer but not the easiest process for the latter (but much cheaper).

I would first try and reach out to @RamCares to see if they can assist with a replacement radio.
Hmm,
Didn't consider that. Dad is the 2nd owner so don't know if they would be willing to help.
But could play up the 87 year old Korean War Veteran angle.

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took our truck in to the dealer yesterday but they scheduled me for today at 1:00 pm so we will see what they do about the delamination.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On our 2018 Pacifica we had to pay for a replacement radio when it started crashing all the time. Unless in 3/36 or you have an extended warranty Chrysler won't fix it. Or dealer was was reasonable in the cost though... we paid $650 or so for the replacement.

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On our 2018 Pacifica we had to pay for a replacement radio when it started crashing all the time. Unless in 3/36 or you have an extended warranty Chrysler won't fix it. Or dealer was was reasonable in the cost though... we paid $650 or so for the replacement.
We have a 7yr/100K MaxCare warranty. We had the wiper motor replaced a month ago and MaxCare paid all but the $100 deductible.

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I picked up our truck yesterday and as expected, they are trying to get a new uConnect unit to replace ours. They said they will let me know when to bring it in. I also had them check the driver’s seat because it will rock front to back when stopping or starting off. I wanted to get both items on the same ticket so my $100 deductible will cover both issues. :)

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I picked up our truck yesterday and as expected, they are trying to get a new uConnect unit to replace ours. They said they will let me know when to bring it in. I also had them check the driver’s seat because it will rock front to back when stopping or starting off. I wanted to get both items on the same ticket so my $100 deductible will cover both issues. :)

Your truck a 2018 Sport? My drivers seat does the same thing. And my screen just started delaminating.
Most, if not all the posts I've read seem to be 2018s with the screen issues.

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck a 2018 Sport? My drivers seat does the same thing. And my screen just started delaminating.
Most, if not all the posts I've read seem to be 2018s with the screen issues.
No, mine is just a Laramie. It appears that the delamination issue is a 2018 year spevific. It was the year they switched to the Panasonic units.

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've done some research and it isn't looking good. Lots of evidence it could be just as easily the controller which is part of the LCD assy. Those are priced at $600+ and looks like everyone is in short supply. :(
For that kind of money I would think a nice aftermarket head unit would be in order. But it wouldn't have the heat/air control, or heated seats, etc.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've done some research and it isn't looking good. Lots of evidence it could be just as easily the controller which is part of the LCD assy. Those are priced at $600+ and looks like everyone is in short supply. :(
For that kind of money I would think a nice aftermarket head unit would be in order. But it wouldn't have the heat/air control, or heated seats, etc.
The Tesla style does....dosen't it?

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The Tesla style does....dosen't it?
Yeah, but the brands that are descent (like Linkwell) are $1000+ last time I looked at pricing.
You can find some not so great brands cheaper but seem quality is real hit and miss on those.
Need something that is easy to use and just works for Dad. He is 87 and can't have something that isn't rock solid.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Good luck finding an aftermarket unit. Many of those are in short supply due to the chip shortage and supply chain problems. Crutchfield has none of the mid to top tier stuff with 7" or larger screens in stock. Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, JVC, etc.

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good luck finding an aftermarket unit. Many of those are in short supply due to the chip shortage and supply chain problems. Crutchfield has none of the mid to top tier stuff with 7" or larger screens in stock. Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, JVC, etc.
Yeah, I looked on Crutchfield and to my shock they had nothing in stock except a few low end brands. Wow.