Fan not working? 2003 Ram 2500 Quad diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
2003 Ram 2500 Quad diesel, 397000 miles

It appears that I only have a working fan when it is on high. Nothing on settings 1, 2 or 3.

The other day, it didn't work at all until my son banged the area under the dash by the glove box.

Where should I start?

fan
resistor
climate controls?

Thanks, Doug

BoDuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
2003 Ram 2500 Quad diesel, 397000 miles

It appears that I only have a working fan when it is on high. Nothing on settings 1, 2 or 3.

The other day, it didn't work at all until my son banged the area under the dash by the glove box.

Where should I start?

fan
resistor
climate controls?

Thanks, Doug

Sounds like the resistor is shot. Pull it out (its two small bolts) and see if the small metal strip under the ceramic block has come unattached from it.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep, without the resistor you get all or nothing, no throttling lol. Go under the dash, passenger side next to the fan motor. You'll see a plug (not the fan motor plug, to the left of the fan motor). You'll see it, should be held in with 2 screws. Be mindful when you pull it out, a bunch of **** may come with it (******* Mopar for not putting cabin filters in these damn things lol). Clean if necessary, install your new resistor, plug it in and do a function check.

OP
OP
C

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
It was the resistor. Ordered one for $14.00 on Amazon. % minutes to change out. No much junk in there when I took it out. The resistor was corroded.

Thanks for the help.