First Big Tow - 6.4 Hemi w/5th Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is a very similar load to the report Drittal gave a week or so ago except I'm a 5th wheel and he's a TT. And my terrain was quite a bit easier.

Truck - 2014 6.4 Hemi 4X4 CC Outdoorsman w/3.73 gears

Total weight - 18,050#
Truck - 10,100#
Trailer - 7950#

The trip consisted of leaving the Portland, OR area, heading down flat I-5 for about 35 miles, then through Salem and out state hwy 22 towards the coast. Another 50 miles or so up over the coast range (less than 1000' but lots of rolling hills) to Lincoln City on the coast.

Overall, the truck did GREAT. Pulling down the interstate is a breeze, even with this heavy load. The truck seems to really like 4th gear. Once in the hills it's a lot of manual shifting from 4 down to 3 or 2. I find if I wait for the truck to shift automatically it's too late and will bog down in the new gear. By shifting manually I can head into a good hill with the RPMs high and pull it with ease.

The sweet spot for this truck in 2nd gear seems to be about 58mph. I feel like I could accelerate up a cliff at this point. The downside of this truck and the 3.73 gears is at lower speeds on steep winding roads where it hunts between 1 & 2 (see Drittals report). Highway pulling is nearly perfect. I suppose it would be nice if the tranny could shift quicker but it's a minor annoyance while towing near the truck's limits. My earlier thoughts of re-gearing are, at least for the time being, on the back burner.

What I was surprised at is my 5th wheel's "weight problem". The thing has a listed dry pin weight of around 1800#. I knew the load would be close to my 10,000# GVWR but was surprised I exceeded it by 100#. The 5th has the normal pots/pans and bedding but I had almost no water on board. The truck had nothing but my B/W sliding hitch in the bed (200#??) and just myself (235#) + wife and 3 kids (270# total) in the truck. It's hard to believe I added 500# to the pin weight by loading - that would mean 2500# of stuff in the trailer but that can't be since I'd be way heavier than 8K on my trailer axles. Yellow sticker weight of the dry 5th rolling out of the factory was 9040#. So, it seems it is a bit pin heavy and/or the brochure pin weight was not terrible accurate.

In the end, the weight isn't a huge deal. So I'm 100# over 10,000#.... it's not like the tires are going to explode :) Although, I may explore the option of the air bags just to be sure. It is funny though, the sag in the rear end is pretty minimal. Really just enough to level out the truck. A truck with a sagging ass is like a comb over.... two things I refuse to be any part of :)

Mileage wise I'm sorry to say I don't care enough to pay very close attention with gas being 1.80/gallon (and my company paying the bill :)) The best I can report is what the DIC displayed. Cruising down the freeway I could see 10 or more while rolling at 55. It dropped quickly as I increased my speed up to 65.

In the hills it drops quickly as well.... more in the 7-8 range. Even 6 pulling some really long/steep grades. I'd guess for the trip I averaged around 8 with the interstate and hills. My old Duramax hauling a similar weight 5th wheel use to get about 10-11 on the same exact trips. Overall, I'm happy with the mileage. And I'm VERY happy with truck's performance. Granted this is just the first real trip and my opinions and experiences could change but my fear that I bit off more than I could chew with the new 5th wheel are largely put to rest.

:favorites13:

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Awesome reviews, I be glad when I get my 2016 2500 6.4L. The wife and I decided that we didn't need a 5'ver but we are going to get a 28' th 30' Trailer.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've hauled mine over that road and found that it hunts a bit too. But the truck never wavered or failed to perform to my expectations.

I'm curious about your pin weight issue, though. You list a trailer weight of 7950 but then you note that the yellow sticker says 9040. Which is it? Do you have an actual loaded weight of the trailer and have you weighed it just at the pin, say at a truck scale?

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If he weighed when connected the numbers sound right.

Mtofel where are your holding and water tanks on the 5th wheel. If they are behind the axel's of the 5th wheel then having them with water in them would take weight off your hitch.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Assuming the fresh tank is where the inlet is, it would be just in front of the axles. The bedroom black tank is also in front of the axles (catches gray water from the bedroom sink as well). The rear gray and black tanks would be behind the axles. Black/gray tanks were bone dry and fresh tank was nearly empty.

And the 9000# yellow sticker weight included the pin weight as well as the axles whereas my axle weight listed doesn't count for the pin - the pin is sitting on the truck when I weighed.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could fill your grey tank behind the axle to take a little weight off but it would probably not be worth it. Maybe put most of your loaded accessories in the back of the 5th wheel till you get where you are going. Also is your camper completely level when you are connected to the truck?

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think I'm too lazy to mess around with strategically loading water and it's hard to imagine it would make enough difference to matter. I'll likely end up getting some air bags at some point. Although I have stress again that the coil springs hold the weight VERY well.

I just did some research and it turns out my B/W sliding hitch weighs a whopping 287 lbs. Yikes... mystery solved as to the pin weight of the 5th.

In the end I'm happy to be more than 1000# away from the total combined weight of 19,500#. I can deal with a being a little over the 10,000# for the truck.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What make and fiver did you get?

It's a Keystone Hideout 308BHDS. The brochure weight was 9250# but when I found it on the lot the yellow sticker was only 9040#. 9K was the absolute highest dry weight I would consider. Wife and kids loved the floor plan so I crossed my fingers and went for it. I'll likely end up in a 3500 diesel someday but for now I'm pretty happy with the Hemi 2500.

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the review. I just picked up a 2500 to pull our 5'er. First big trip is in June, northeast pa to Nashville. We have a diesel also, but she is getting up there in age and miles and I feel better with a new truck under it.

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I looked up that camper, it's really nice. That's the setup I want but to much $$$ I need something more used lol....

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I looked up that camper, it's really nice. That's the setup I want but to much $$$ I need something more used lol....

Thanks! Don't let the MSRP discourage you.... I got it for 31K. It took some haggling and getting up and leaving once but it all worked out. I still can't believe I paid that much for a rolling camper :) Granted, it's a really nice camper but I really should just make my kids sleep in a tent like I did.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ah...I see now where the weights are coming in at. I wasn't sure which was which there.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Updated - 2nd Trip

I took my 5th out again this weekend and stayed right next to a scale so I have some more accurate weights:

Truck was 7700# with just myself and wife, the hitch, a full tank of gas and a very few other things like coats and kid's booster seats (but no kids this time :)).

Hooking up and coming home today with the 5th the truck weighed 9900# and the 5th axles were 8000#. The tanks on the 5th were pretty much empty.

So, it looks like my 5th weighs about 10,200# loaded (yellow sticker weight out of the factory was 9040#). It's hard to believe I've only put 1150# of gear in the thing. Or, more to point, it's hard to believe my wife has only put that much in it.

Of that 10,200# the pin weight looks like about 2200# which is right in the middle of the 20-25% everyone always talks about.

The truck continues to absolutely amaze me hauling this load. I felt MUCH more comfortable this time being my 2nd run and not having my kids to worry about if something were to go wrong (5 yr old twins and a 7 yr old aren't good company in a roadside emergency to say the least).

I've all but ruled out re-gearing for the time being. I am, however, going to install a set of airbags. Not that the truck can't handle the weight. It just tends to bounce a bit excessively over rough patches of highway. I'm hoping some bags will smooth things out a bit.

Overall, I'm super happy with the truck and 5th combination. After getting comfortable with the setup I'm remembering all the things I love about towing a 5th wheel. It's just so much more stable rolling down the road than a TT.

MPG seemed to be similar to my inaugural voyage - somewhere around 8-9 with a mixture of freeway and mountain highway. Sorry I can't be more accurate but when it's less than $50 to fill up this beast I just don't care enough to pay attention.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Sounds like a great combo. Still have 2 months before I get to use mine..

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Great info on the weights. Is your truck a crew short bed? Also timbrens would most likely help the bouncing. I hear a lot of good things about them. No air lines to worry about.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
MPG seemed to be similar to my inaugural voyage - somewhere around 8-9 with a mixture of freeway and mountain highway. Sorry I can't be more accurate but when it's less than $50 to fill up this beast I just don't care enough to pay attention.

while i agree with fuel prices being down making my give a damn on what my mileage is less and less I still like to keep tabs on it.

I run the "gas tracker" app (fuelly) on my phone. Helps keep track off all of that information. Covers fuel consumed, cost of fuel and maintenance records. Simple and easy. Also hand calculates the mileage vs going off the evic of the truck...

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Great info on the weights. Is your truck a crew short bed? Also timbrens would most likely help the bouncing. I hear a lot of good things about them. No air lines to worry about.

It's a short box 4X4. I've heard about Timbrens and am looking into them as well. I had airbags on a previous truck and liked them but I can also see it would also be nice to have to worry about air.