First mod???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffawats

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
while reading up on my 18 qc and whats avaiable I am having a bit of trouble deciding what my first mod will be .Visited my local exhaust guru and he will bend a catback system complete with tips for 295 cash but am worried about the MDS sound.looking at coil spacers for front and rear to lift maybe just do 33's.Pulsar looks like a decent tuner option as modifying the stock ecu does not appeal to me.Seems like the Vararam is the intake of choice but I only want something I can leave on year round as this is my daily will probably do almost no wheeling well ok maybe some mild wheeling.Help me spend my money guys.Carlisle All Truck Nationals is this weekend so good time to shop and compare.

GoatRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
My first “mods” were a proper receiver hitch, cb, and nerf bars.
Performance-wise I did a k&n filter and that’s it so far.

2013 Ram SLT 4x2
4.7L v8
K&N intake filter
Readylift level kit
Unknown bug guard
Debadged tailgate
Zombie Response Team badge
Sport grille insert
Tekonsha brake module
Cobra 29 LTD Classic, Astatic mic
Flowmaster 40
Ortego Customs mud flaps
Hadley H00977N air horn system

Fb: Triparish Auto Club
IG- the_sneauxman

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO---
Catch Can
Aftermarket muffler
Pedal Commander
CAI--Vararam is a good choice
If you have a 4x4 then a set of Bil's leveling shocks
Jay

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
while reading up on my 18 qc and whats avaiable I am having a bit of trouble deciding what my first mod will be .Visited my local exhaust guru and he will bend a catback system complete with tips for 295 cash but am worried about the MDS sound.looking at coil spacers for front and rear to lift maybe just do 33's.Pulsar looks like a decent tuner option as modifying the stock ecu does not appeal to me.Seems like the Vararam is the intake of choice but I only want something I can leave on year round as this is my daily will probably do almost no wheeling well ok maybe some mild wheeling.Help me spend my money guys.Carlisle All Truck Nationals is this weekend so good time to shop and compare.

Depends on what you like, really. My first mod was Bilstein 5100's up front to level the truck. I set them at 2.1 and have been extremely pleased with it. Some go to 2.8, but then you'd need to replace the Upper Control Arms to be safe. Don't use just plain (cheap) spacers. They will throw off the geometry in the suspension and cause you major problems down the road. This became an issue on the newer models (2013 or 2014 and up).

As for exhaust, I swapped out the stock muffler with a MagnaFlow 18". Left everything else OEM. I think it sounds good. It's got a growl under acceleration, but pretty calm going down the road... enough that the radio drowns it out.

Tires - 33" are the stock height... just FYI. Most, from what I can tell, go with 34" or 35" when going bigger. 34" you can do without lifting. Some get away with 35's, but each truck is different. My next set will be 34's on the my stock rims.

I don't know about the tuners or the CAI's. If I did do an intake, it would probably be the S&B, as I like the idea of the enclosed box. I'm not a track guy, so the Vararam wouldn't do me any good. I just went with the DIY airbox mod, just to have something to do. I've seen cooler intake temps, but that's about it.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out my sig, most mods are inexpensive, some not so inexpensive, but you can at least start the mod itch

SilverRamguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
I did the V8 dual exhaust sys first.
Running boards
Lower the back 3 inch
And bunch more over the time.

OP
OP
jeffawats

jeffawats

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was all set to go spacers but the bils dont look to be that expensive and I do my own work except for alignment.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah Bils are easy and a nice improvement over stock. Set at 2.8 they will allow you to clear 35s just fine with the right offset wheels.
I also like many others ate running stock a upper a-arms with zero problems.

20180705_202910_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
jeffawats

jeffawats

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah Bils are easy and a nice improvement over stock. Set at 2.8 they will allow you to clear 35s just fine with the right offset wheels.
I also like many others ate running stock a upper a-arms with zero problems.

View attachment 135939
sweet ride! now leaning heavily towards bils for my first mod.Truck is going to bodyshop monday since some idiot ran into on saturday may have a scorpion liner done while its in.

Mopar man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with supreme suspension 1.5 inch wheel spacers, fab fours front bumper, 20x9 zero offset procomp rims and 35 inch tires. Carven competitor direct fit exhaust. Westin HDX drop steps. K&n cai. Pedal commander. All within the first month. Love everything

602263D8-6390-458C-AF40-E161882ACEAD.png

3E034D1A-B06F-4F62-8D3E-BABDBAB404F8.png

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO

LOL, I hear ya. A combination of a ported TB (87mm), 1 3/4 LT headers, 3" Cat-back exhaust system, v6 e-fan/180Tstat and a Hemifever 93 custom tune on top of 4.56 gears pushing 37" tires is what I run. Dunno about 30hp for that Vararan but seat-of-the-pants performance, this truck will thrill you. Vararam is also the easiest install of all CAIs. I have tried K&N, S&B, etc...

fullsizeoutput_230c.jpeg JKfaF4BLRZGfdTzNv%6cwg.jpg

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a bunch of the hottest items for RAM owners
https://gotexhaust.com/c-1183874-ram-owners-preferred-products.html

Pedal Commander and Carven Exhaust are our 2 biggest movers here. So check those out and see if they interest you. Also the Edge Pulsar and S&B intake are very popular.

Suspension all depends on how you need to use it but the Icon kits have been moving like crazy lately.

Mopar man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL, I hear ya. A combination of a ported TB (87mm), 1 3/4 LT headers, 3" Cat-back exhaust system, v6 e-fan/180Tstat and a Hemifever 93 custom tune on top of 4.56 gears pushing 37" tires is what I run. Dunno about 30hp for that Vararan but seat-of-the-pants performance, this truck will thrill you. Vararam is also the easiest install of all CAIs. I have tried K&N, S&B, etc...

View attachment 136149 View attachment 136150
Hey SoCal our trucks look like brothers! Can you post a picture of your grill and where did you get it?

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Hey SoCal our trucks look like brothers! Can you post a picture of your grill and where did you get it?
I saw that, and I like yours LOL! You have great taste.

It's the Smittybilt M1 grill insert. I am actually dropping the chrome shell and doing a color-match (once I cut and paint it). Installing it was a PITA but it is solid and easy to clean. I tossed the M1 badge (not a fan of logos).

CgdSOPnMTN69AV4pJelbZA.jpg

OP
OP
jeffawats

jeffawats

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
pretty sure the lift is goin on first havent driven her enuff yet to know where I might want more power still has jusy over 300 miles

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some good mods listed. I'm not a big fan of K&N filters [snake oil scam]. Pedal commander is popular, but my fear is what happens if there's an accident and they do a scan of my system? Catch can is interesting, I should put one on my Plow truck that has a lot of blowby.

Love the front bumper!!

Last edited:

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Retrofitted headlights were my first mod. Followed up with king coilovers, wheels and tires then exhaust. Plus many many more..

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was all set to go spacers but the bils dont look to be that expensive and I do my own work except for alignment.
I can’t say this enough! Make sure you put the washer underneath the upper strut mount and then the nut above the upper strut mount. The washer does not go with the nut.