First time Ram owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello, We are excited to get our new Ram 1500 Longhorn. We have driven Fords since 1995. We have had the Ford 250 diesel and recently have had the Ford 150 Ecoboost. After watching youtube pod casts comparing Ford to Ram we decided to check it out. The fit and finish of the Ram is awesome and the Hemi is amazing. We ordered a 2021 and can't wait to get it. We will be pulling a travel trailer that is under 9K for about 10,000 miles a year. We pull to Arizona from Washington state every year. The F 150 always did a good job but we are looking forward to making the next trip down in the Ram. We did select 3.92 gears,
mileage may not be great but felt it was the best choice to pull. Any thoughts you may have will be appreciated.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the Ramily from another ford convert

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Welcome, and that will be a beautiful truck! How much under 9000 pounds, and is that dry weight? If so, my opinion only, you are in 2500 territory. Get the best WDH hitch you can afford.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Welcome to RamForum! When you get it home, post a couple of pics...

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the MOPAR/RAM family. Soon the MOPAR or No Car mantra will be in your blood.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Welcome to the group and Congratulations on your new RAM... Also check out our senior forum, A bunch of crusty old farts and many have travel Trailers

OP
OP
C

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks, looking forward to reading and learning from all of you. The trailer I am pulling is a 22FQS Outdoors RV. The loaded weight is under 9K and we don't load it up any more than we need to. I am sure the Hemi with the 3.92 will be plenty of truck. Seems to us that Ram did some home work building this truck.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Thanks, looking forward to reading and learning from all of you. The trailer I am pulling is a 22FQS Outdoors RV. The loaded weight is under 9K and we don't load it up any more than we need to. I am sure the Hemi with the 3.92 will be plenty of truck. Seems to us that Ram did some home work building this truck.

No doubt the engine transmission 3.92 combo will pull that with ease. I looked up the specs on that trailer must be a super soild trailer at that weight(that's a good thing in my opnion) 26ft from ladder to ball will be a great length and dry shows to be just over 10% tw. That's the only area to watch on the 1500s but if you 8500 loaded and 900 on your hitch you should still have some payload to play with not crazy amounts but still some. 1 thing to know about switching from the Ford, ram has coil spring reaf suspension and its soft for the good ride you may consider some air bags. Other than that enjoy that beast of a truck.

OP
OP
C

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thank you for the great advise. We order the truck with the four corner air ride thinking that it will help with the hitch weight.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will be a great truck for sure.

Be careful though with the ORV as they are heavy built trailers with big fresh water tank and lots of CCC.

A good WDH is paramount.

OP
OP
C

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks Marley, we carry just enough water to use on the way and use the equalizer WDH. I do load the bed of the pick up with hoses, sewer, chairs, grill and misc. I am thinking of getting everything weighed when the truck comes in.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
glad to see you bought a ram . we love ours and tow a 6000# travel trailer. the truck pulls great . easy onto the freeway and will hold cruise at 68-70 on most roads. you may be pushing the limits with a trailer that heavy but probably have for cargo cap than our measly 1324#. when not towing it is more fun to drive than the other brands we have tried.