Fix my ride!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Gunn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4WD. I have a Belltech 2"/4" drop kit installed with the Belltech springs and BT Street Performer Shocks. I have the BT track bar relocation bracket installed as well. Control arms are stock in the stock configuration. I've had a few issues with the ride and working through a few fixes. I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who has been through this. Below are my thoughts and observations. I LOVE the way the truck looks and sits but I'm in my truck quite a bit every day and if I can't get the ride quality improved I'm going to put it back to stock. I know that ride quality is subjective but my opinion is that it is not good. I've tried to determine if my objection is to the way the front of the truck rides or the rear. Mainly I think it is the rear. At least that seems like a good starting place.

1. First issue was the truck was riding on the bumpstops, even at rest, so I cut about 1" off the bump stops. That helped some.
2. I was still bottoming out fairly regularly so I installed a pair of air lift helper bags for a Dodge Durango. That helped the bottoming out and I'm still playing with different air pressures but the ride is still not where I want it to be.
3. I've noticed that the suspension seems very sensitive. While it might be ok with me riding in the truck alone, if I put in a passenger or any cargo in the bed the ride changes fairly drastically. I was embarrassed when i took a co-worker to lunch the other day and was bouncing him all over. Once I dropped him off and it was just me it in the truck it seemed much better.
4. Since it is fairly easy, I'm thinking about changing out the BT shocks for another type of shock as a test. I've seen other threads about different shock options. That's confusing too. Adjustable single, adjustable dual, non-adjustable, what size, etc. Is there a shock that would work with the 4" drop or work at stock height?
5. If rear shocks don't help I may change back to a stock spring or maybe a 2" lowering spring. Is 4" just too much of a drop to expect a decent ride quality? Maybe my expectations are too high?
6. Where do the rear control arms come into play? Are they affecting any of this? At speed the truck is stable and drives straight. No wobble or other odd feelings other than bouncing over bumps.
7. After I attack the rear I guess I can then look the front.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

IMG_1501.jpg

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the bell tech 2/4 on my 2016 also. It took a lot of figuring out how to get all the angles correct in the rear end to do away with vibrations for one thing. Second thing is your rear arms are very close to each other and probably smacking each other under the truck. When my 2016 was totaled I went with a 2018 and did a 2/3 drop Ground force kit. Very hard to find, very expensive for what’s included in the kit. Basically it’s two 3 inch springs for the back two 2 inch springs for the front ,rear sway bar relocation for the Link ends and a plate that goes under your transmission mount to make up for the driveshaft angle difference.The ride is much better ,no having to figure out any geometry in the back for a vibration problem. The shocks that came with the system are OK, but I know there are better shocks available.

mert34

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your experience is the same as mine with this kit. Basically on the bump stops in the rear with nothing on them and bottoms out. I have also added the air bags but still the same issues you are having. Will follow this and see if you come up with something. Sorry not much help.

CoreySinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
If you have the helper air bags, cut the bumpstops out completely. Get rid of the metal cup that holds the foam. Get rid of the foam.

CoreySinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Did you get the full belltech kit? It came with bumpstops for the front of a 2wd. They look like what you posted but about an inch and a half thick.
There is no way to put a nut on. The hole is captured by the mount on the frame. Rivnut is the answer there.

I think the control arms will hit each other before they contact such a short bumpstop like you show. Ive never hit metal to metal so far.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have had similar issues. Remember, we lowered our trucks, and put them in an un-natural position for how they were designed and built... Plus thinking about this as well, if you've ridden in any "performance" vehicle, generally they are a bit more bumpy because the suspension is more stiff. I don't think we will get our trucks to a "perfect" ride.

Separate story, I just moved about 750 miles across states. Air'ed up my rear bags to 30psi, and towed 2000 lbs in a U-Haul. No problems whatsoever. Towed and rode flawlessly!

That said, I haven't unpacked my floor jack yet to lift the rear end to air down my rear bags to 15 psi. I can say that in airing them up to 30 before the move was a pain in the butt. It was tough making sure that both bags were pressurized to 30 psi. One bag did not want to deflate completely, but allowed me to inflate...

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my truck used and it already had the BT 2/4 drop on it. I always wondered why it would hammer the back end so hard if I hit a good bump with both back wheels at the same time. I just went and looked and it looks like the factory bump stops are on there. There is maybe 1/8" clearance. I could just cut the rubber part off but I don't see how to get the perches off. How would I get them off of there?

CoreySinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I got up in there with a small 90 degree cutoff wheel and cut the welds to remove the cup. Not too bad. Had the rear jacked up for some room in between the suspension parts.

Riding on the bumpstops will never be smooth riding.

I am almost tempted to trim the front bumpstops on the struts down too. Almost...

ameldorf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my truck used and it already had the BT 2/4 drop on it. I always wondered why it would hammer the back end so hard if I hit a good bump with both back wheels at the same time. I just went and looked and it looks like the factory bump stops are on there. There is maybe 1/8" clearance. I could just cut the rubber part off but I don't see how to get the perches off. How would I get them off of there?

I used a Sawzall. Plenty of room if you have wheel liners and springs out. Just a note if you want to add bump stops to the top: The hole that is already there doesn’t align with the frame above if that makes sense. I ended up eyeballing a different spot, drilling hole through bump stop mount and frame, tapping said hole, and threading in a universal bump stop. Like someone mentioned, if you want a bump stop, it needs to be tall enough, otherwise you’ll just smack the upper control arm bracket on frame anyways if you bottom out. May not be super effective in any case.

8f57f9952d58269338487927bb7166b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
David Gunn

David Gunn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I am without much solution to my issues so I'm going back with stock parts for a stock ride height. I cannot get a ride that I consider decent with my setup and I basically dread getting in my truck every day. I swapped out the Belltech street performer rear shocks for some QA1 adjustable shocks. That made a difference for the better in the rear but still not satisfying to me. It's too bad. The truck sits sweet and I dig the tire size combo with the stance. I LOVE the look, but I hate the ride quality. I'm driving on rough, poorly maintained roads much of my days and my back can't take it. One reason I bought the RAM was because of the ride quality so I'm leaving the lowered life with a bit of a sour taste. I don't understand why the kit isn't better engineered for a similar to "stock" ride. It doesn't seem like that would be hard. This is my first experience with a lowered vehicle and maybe I am naïve to think I could have had a stock quality ride with a lowering kit. Maybe it is possible but I haven't found it. I know that ride quality is a subjective thing and hard to describe but I just know by feel that I don't like it....so, if anyone wants to take a crack at it themselves message me and I'll make some good deals on a very lightly used (less than 1000 miles) Belltech 2/4 drop kit (coils, shocks, etc.), two QA1 rear shocks, and a Durango air lift bag set.IMG_3024.jpg

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bump. David is offering a very good price for his kit... I’m in Canada so shipping and exchange killed the deal, but I strongly suggest shooting him a PM if you want to drop your 4x4