Flashing CEL = Misfire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Got a flashing CEL this morning and some research shows it's likely a misfire. I've read a few other threads but have some other stuff going on so I figured I'd start my own rather than hijacking. A couple days ago under mild acceleration around 30mph (so not much wind noise) I heard what I could best describe as a rattling bearing noise. I don't have any vibration like others have described. The CEL only came on once under moderate/heavy acceleration while merging on a long on-ramp. Most recently, I'm hearing more rattling... really sounds like standard engine knock from the days with ******** (or advanced?) timing.

I have a Maxcare Lifetime Warranty and will likely get it to the dealer soon but am a bit hesitant since I have no solid CEL and haven't had one long enough to pull a code. If I can get a noise to occur consistently I'll take it in for sure. From my own experience here and reading other stories I'm pretty sure Ram won't do a think unless my truck is on fire. Just curious if anyone has been through this?

Truck is 2014 6.4 Hemi 4X4, bone stock with 121K miles.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your getting a flashing CEL, there should be stored codes the dealership can pull even though regular code readers can't. For experiences in the past with other vehicles, a flashing CEL should be looked at sooner than later.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Flash means progressive issues such as misfire or other more significant mechanical situation that needs immediate care. The flash is meant to draw your attention to the condition and implies urgency.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As stated above (and in the owner's manual) a flashing CEL means it needs urgent attention and is recommend to stop driving. Serious misfires codes often cause the flashing CEL, but really no reason to guess. Also as stated above you don't need the CEL to be active as the codes are stored in the system and a good diagnostic reader can see historic/stored codes.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just talked to the dealer and it's looking like they want to replace the engine! I'm sure I'll butcher what the service guy said but it's something about a bearing on or near the camshaft and bits of metal getting stuck in some filters. He said it's rare but not totally unheard of. He's seen it +/- 10X in seven years.

They are currently getting approval through the Maxcare folks for the repair which of course makes me nervous. I can't imagine how they could deny me though. Every oil change and maintenance recommendation in the manual has been done at the dealer since new and the truck is 100% stock.

I'll update when I know more.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just talked to the dealer and it's looking like they want to replace the engine! I'm sure I'll butcher what the service guy said but it's something about a bearing on or near the camshaft and bits of metal getting stuck in some filters. He said it's rare but not totally unheard of. He's seen it +/- 10X in seven years.

They are currently getting approval through the Maxcare folks for the repair which of course makes me nervous. I can't imagine how they could deny me though. Every oil change and maintenance recommendation in the manual has been done at the dealer since new and the truck is 100% stock.

I'll update when I know more.
Can’t see you having a problem with max care, but the supply chain issues might be troublesome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
but the supply chain issues might be troublesome.
Yeah... I'm worried about this too. Luckily, I live between two places and am away from my truck until mid-September so the timing is good.

I just poured over the maintenance records on the Mopar site and everything looks perfect.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good news... just got approval from the Maxcare folks and my brand new engine is on the way. Bad news is it's 6-8 weeks out and I honestly doubt that will even happen. I've been a bit nervous that they were going to try and weasel out somehow and I sure don't have 10K+ for a new engine. Not that they really had any way since the truck has literally never been touched for service/repair outside of a dealership and everything per the manual was done. I've been chatting with some friends/mechanics and they guessed the repair at full retail and installed would be around $13K. I looked online and the engine was around $8500 - thinking shipping and labor for the swap at dealership rates has to be at least a few thousand? Any guesses?

I think I'm the poster child of a warranty actually paying off - two transmission rebuilds, exhaust bolts, thermostat, 8.4 Uconnect head unit and now an entirely new engine. All for $2400!

Related Question - Anyone know what all comes with the new engine? As in, do they swap things like coil packs, starter/alternator, etc. from my old engine?

Last edited: