Flip down rear seats done!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, I've had this 2011 1500 QC for about a month. I always thought it was strange the rear seat didn't tilt forward, and I didn't like the rear head rests because they really limit visibility. Just removed the headrests. Much better. Is the space behind the seats big enough to store the head rests? So why are there little straps the look like the are intended to release the back seats? I have the split bench in back, and each side has what appears to be a release strap, but of course it doesn't release the seats. I will be doing this soon.

If I'm not mistaked those straps have something to do with a carseat. I don't know for sure because I'm no expert, having no kids, but I think I remember seeing it in the owner's manual. ;)

James_in_Utah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I got it done. Took about an hour. I thought that I should be able just to loosen the bolts holding the seat down and pry up the seat and wedge something under the track in order to release the seat, but that didn't work. I had to completely remove the bolts. I decided to saw off the hooks. I tried cutting off 1 inch, right above the plastic piece that wraps around the hook, but that wasn't enough. I ended up cutting it at 1 and 1/4 inches. That seems to be about right. I would have to say that there isn't a lot of room behind my seats. I keep about 6 reusable grocery bags on the back seat, and I was able to get them in behind the driver side seat. I was able to get my long ice scrapper behind the passenger side seat. I don't think I would be able to get a pair of shoes or a rifle in a case behind the seat. This is on a 2011 Ram 1500 QC.

Reactions: jlb

swanny297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know it's a great space saving idea but altering the anchor points of a seat could be a fatal decision in a serious accident especially if you have occupants belted in the backseat. There's a reason the seats don't fold flat.

James_in_Utah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't foresee anyone riding in my back seat, and even if there was someone back there, the seat is still firmly attached. The seat bottom has to be lifted about half way up before the latch releases. That's probably not going to happen if someone is sitting in the seat. Besides, they would be wearing the seat belt so I really don't see how it's going to be any more unsafe after the mod.

swanny297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just see people cutting/removing hooks and unbolting and rebolting - I worked in the FMVSS group for a little over 10yrs with GM - bolt torque, seat height, seat flushness to the floor, and hooks/latches are all important - I wouldn't alter mine and not trying to discourage anyone I think people see it as an easy mod but don't consider what could be altered from a safety/crash perspective.

James_in_Utah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree, and if I had kids riding regularly back there I probably wouldn't do it. I also removed the rear head rests, which I think would be an even greater safety hazard, but like I said, I hardly ever have anyone in the back seat. For me, the increased visibility out the back with the headrests gone is worth it. If I know someone will be riding back there, I would put the headrest back in. I just wish there was enough room back there to store the headrests, but I dont think there is.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree, and if I had kids riding regularly back there I probably wouldn't do it. I also removed the rear head rests, which I think would be an even greater safety hazard, but like I said, I hardly ever have anyone in the back seat. For me, the increased visibility out the back with the headrests gone is worth it. If I know someone will be riding back there, I would put the headrest back in. I just wish there was enough room back there to store the headrests, but I dont think there is.
4-6 inches behind the seats of a crew cab. My pictures are in this thread.
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=48887

James_in_Utah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice pictures. My truck has a panel of insulation/noise proofing that seems to be missing from your pictures. Maybe that explains why I don't have nearly as much room. Still I'm happy. I can get the grocery bags, a rain jacket, and my Ice scrapper back there.

Crianor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotta agree with caution here. If you ever sell the truck and don't change this back, pray the new owner doesn't get in an accident. Insurance companies look for little things to deny your claim. And modifying the anchor points on a seat would leave you high and dry.

Up here in Canada, you can't even legally use a 5 point harness in your car because it wasn't crash tested. I am pretty sure it's the same reason we can't build kit cars for use on the road.

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lawyers are going to find something no matter what you do, or don't do. We spend far too much time worrying about lawyers.

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
This thread rocks…so thrilled that my rear split bench now folds over…nine washers wrapped in electrical tape on eight bolts and walla…seats fold over…

Thank you guys!

plarkinjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
I used about 3/4" worth of washers under each bolt and it worked perfectly for me. Now I can shove all my crap behind the seats (as seen in the video) and use the new space under the seats for whatever else. Probably nothing new to a lot of y'all but I just wanted to show it off!

Flip down rear seats - YouTube

Thanks for posting this, and ramforum.com in general. Here's my videos demonstrating it... (and a DuHa storage organizer, and a ghetto seat cover to keep dogs off upholstery) {sorry, it's in two parts.}

Dodge Ram 2500 Folding Rear Seat backs in CrewCab - Part1 - YouTube

Dodge Ram 2500 Folding Rear Seat backs in CrewCab - Part2 - YouTube

VTBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
'14
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will be picking up 3/4" bolts tonight to get started on this.

plarkinjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
I will be picking up 3/4" bolts tonight to get started on this.

You reuse the existing bolts, and add about 3/4" stack of washers on all 4 corners. Wrap them in tape to keep them stacked for easier installation.

I don't recall the size, I want to say 5/16ths, but what I did was remove one bolt and carry it in to the store in order to find the right washers.

VTBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
'14
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I meant 3/4" nuts lol long ******* day.

Reactions: jbr

VTBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
'14
Engine
5.7 Hemi
WELL..... This will be delayed for a few days now damn weather!

yesterday

image_zps4cef18b6.jpg

and today

image_zps63985772.jpg

Last edited:

Ruiner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I plan to do this now, thanks.

Anyone know what the original torque specs are on those bolts? May as well retorque to same specs?

VTBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
'14
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I plan to do this now, thanks.

Anyone know what the original torque specs are on those bolts? May as well retorque to same specs?

I saw it here somewhere but I can't find it right now. It was a whole sheet for torque specs

VTBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
'14
Engine
5.7 Hemi
just finished mine, didn't gain a ton of room but it's nice to be able to get back there if need be.
image_zpscb8c90d6.jpg
image_zps0fa5ab72.jpg
image_zpsf3b8e1d7.jpg