Flowmaster or magnaflow???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello gentleman! I absolutely cannot decide between the Flowmaster 50series HD or a magnaflow 14 (i guess). Help me decide! I have an 06 1500 mega cab with hemi. I want it tipped out the rear. I want it to sound real good, but I don't want to have to yell to my wife or kids while driving. I want it to be deep and smooth and mean! I have listened to the clips, and watched lots of videos on YouTube. I'm leaning towards the Flowmaster. My exhaust shop recommend the 50 HD cause of the performance benefits, so will the magnaflow offer me those same benefits? Thank s for your help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Never had a magnaflow but my truck came with a FM 50HD catback and I've always loved the sound. Just had the shop install another one after my header install.

One guy on here says his fell apart inside and rattled. First issue I've ever heard with a FM

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
More insight-I bought my truck in few, and whoever had it before me installed true duals with a pair of the fake Flowmaster 40 series dumped before rear axle. Needless to say it sounds like ****. At WOT it sounds similar to a v6 vortex with dumped exhaust!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never had a magnaflow but my truck came with a FM 50HD catback and I've always loved the sound. Just had the shop install another one after my header install.

One guy on here says his fell apart inside and rattled. First issue I've ever heard with a FM

I had a 2000 durango 4x4 a while back that had a FM 40 series on it when I got it, one of the baffles and rusted and rattled. I had replaced with with a super 44 that sounded awesome. But I didn't remember that other one rusting out until you just mentioned that. I'm not sure how common of a problem it is though.

Brazilian04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Would recommend a Gibson performance exhaust. They sound super aggressive and have a nice deep sound without it being obnoxiously loud. Not to mention you can feel the difference as soon as you get it installed on there. But if you are still wanting to choose between Magnaflow and Flowmaster I would go with the Magnaflow.

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have a Magnaflow 14" on my truck with them dumped out the back and it sounds awesome. Not too loud and nice deep rumble. The plus side is that it's a stainless muffler. I actually just crawled underneith to check my whole exhaust system and since I had my cleaning stuff for my tips near by I tried it on it and it cleaned right back up to almost new I've had it for close to two years. My next truck (if it isn't a diesel) I will buy another Magnaflow for sure.

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a Magnaflow 14" on my truck with them dumped out the back and it sounds awesome. Not too loud and nice deep rumble. The plus side is that it's a stainless muffler. I actually just crawled underneith to check my whole exhaust system and since I had my cleaning stuff for my tips near by I tried it on it and it cleaned right back up to almost new I've had it for close to two years. My next truck (if it isn't a diesel) I will buy another Magnaflow for sure.

Thats awesome! I'm not really wanting dumped. I've had dumped exhaust for a long time, so I'm wanting pipes again. But since it's been so long, don't tips give it like a gurgling type sound? I remember that from my last tipped truck and I really liked it.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello gentleman! I absolutely cannot decide between the Flowmaster 50series HD or a magnaflow 14 (i guess). Help me decide! I have an 06 1500 mega cab with hemi. I want it tipped out the rear. I want it to sound real good, but I don't want to have to yell to my wife or kids while driving. I want it to be deep and smooth and mean! I have listened to the clips, and watched lots of videos on YouTube. I'm leaning towards the Flowmaster. My exhaust shop recommend the 50 HD cause of the performance benefits, so will the magnaflow offer me those same benefits? Thank s for your help!

You will see the same 'performance gains' (none) from any muffler.
Mufflers are for sound. In the early 90s, when trucks came with a single 2.25" exhaust, there was HP to be made.

If you already have a true dual setup, you won't notice anything but a change in sound.

The 50 Series HD is a quality muffler, it sounds great. Magnaflow also makes a great muffler. Your truck will sound like crap when MDS kicks in, a maggy will hide that better. If you're going to tune that out, then it really comes down to what kind of sound you want.
Raspy = Flowmaster
Deep = Maggy

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will see the same 'performance gains' (none) from any muffler.
Mufflers are for sound. In the early 90s, when trucks came with a single 2.25" exhaust, there was HP to be made.

If you already have a true dual setup, you won't notice anything but a change in sound.

The 50 Series HD is a quality muffler, it sounds great. Magnaflow also makes a great muffler. Your truck will sound like crap when MDS kicks in, a maggy will hide that better. If you're going to tune that out, then it really comes down to what kind of sound you want.
Raspy = Flowmaster
Deep = Maggy

Ok thanks. That clears up alot for me cause I was thinking if I got the mags I would lose performance whatever. I don't have the mds. It doesn't come on the mega cabs. How much louder is the mag 14 than the 18?

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thats awesome! I'm not really wanting dumped. I've had dumped exhaust for a long time, so I'm wanting pipes again. But since it's been so long, don't tips give it like a gurgling type sound? I remember that from my last tipped truck and I really liked it.

Mine are 2.5 duals out the back with tips behind the rear tires. Yes it does give the gurgling sound but I mainly hear it when I down shift coming down bigger hills to use my brakes less. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine are 2.5 duals out the back with tips behind the rear tires. Yes it does give the gurgling sound but I mainly hear it when I down shift coming down bigger hills to use my brakes less. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha! Thanks!

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also I will be getting rid of the true dual. Going back to a 1 in 2 out setup.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really should have took a pic when I cut my fm40 off. Never again will I have a flowmaster muffler on any car or truck I own

That said I have a si/so magnaflow 14" an I love the sound, an the quality it a couple yrs old an still looks brand new. I have longtubes with no cats an it's surprisingly quiet til I get on it.

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ok thanks. That clears up alot for me cause I was thinking if I got the mags I would lose performance whatever. I don't have the mds. It doesn't come on the mega cabs. How much louder is the mag 14 than the 18?

Like I said I have the 14" but my dad has the 18" muffler on his ram.. The only difference I hear is during idle. His is a little quieter but during driving they sound almost exactly the same.

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome. Thanks gentleman. Y'all made up my mind. Magnaflow 14 for me it is! What is an si /so Magnaflow? Thanks for Yalls help.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I have the Flowmaster 50 cat back. I like it.
Quiet at idle, little to no drone or cabin noise and aggressive as hell when you get on it.
Has a nice healthy rumble. Tighter sound than a 40.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a super 40 on my truck. Replaced it with a 18" MF. It's not as loud but has a better (deeper) sound. And there is no way you will have less hp with the MF. MF is a straight through muffler where FM has chambers inside.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put a turn down after my 18" MF today.
I should have done this long long ago. This sounds almost magical!

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a fan of the Flowmasters, specifically the 10-series 1-chamber race mufflers. I have 2.5" TD's with a X-pipe dumped over the axle.