Focal and JL Audio Stealthbox System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteMamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is my first official post about my truck and I had some issues researching Focal speakers and little to no information on the JL Audio Stealthbox for our Rams. Please feel free to leave comments on how I can improve my post so it can help as many people as possible. I had the Kicker CS 3.5s and 6x9s previously in my truck after I blew my speakers driving home from the dealership and had to compete with the rest of the family that all run Focal level speakers.

In the front doors and dash I installed the Focal K2 Power 165KR that are on sale at Crutchfield since they just rolled out their new K2's. With custom black baffles, the speakers fit perfect with about a quarter inch left before hitting the window when rolled down. In the dash, I placed the tweeters with matching black baffles to replace the 3.5s and keep the soundstage high and a factory appearance.

In the rear doors, I installed Focal Integration 6x9s for their easy install and a decent rear fill. For their price tag, I would have rather installed these instead of the Kickers because when they are amp'd, they sound ten times more clear although they do not create as much bass if you don't have a sub installed like I did at the time.

I installed wave breakers and double layered sound deadening on the front doors, single layer on the rear doors with no wave breakers, and did a small section around the tweeters to prevent any vibrations against the plastic dash. I also did a layer in the cargo bins that I would be setting the Stealthbox on top of. For those that do not know, our Rams have a thick foam layer under the carpet that helps reduced vibrations and road noise.

For the Stealthbox, I removed the covers to the cargo bins and the box fit like a glove. I bolted the box down to the frame of the seats where the bins were attached to help keep the box down and prevent easy theft. I ran the wires through the carpet underneath the box to give it a clean look when I lifted the seats. The box sits low and has bumpers and grills to prevent the seat from hitting the subs when people sit, but as my pictures will show, there is plenty of room to spare.

I hooked all of the speakers up to a Hertz HDP5 amp which slightly underpowers the speakers but after listening to setup, I'm glad I did not spend the extra $500 to get the best matched amp. If this amp ever fails me, then I might go get the better amp if I'm feeling my wallet is too thick... lol. I made a custom amp board that I wrapped in a color matching carpet to help keep that factory look and keep the function of the air vent under my drivers seat. I installed the amp there from a video on YouTube from Sonic Electronix and the easy access if I need to make adjustments. I put the bass knob by my shifter knob and cup holders since I keep my hand on the shifter like it's a manual and I'm not having to reach to change the intensity, which I mainly keep the boost on 0 since these subs shake everything in the cab including the steering wheel.

Finally, everything was ran too my old and reliable Kenwood DNN990HD that I have had for many years and in many trucks. I love the gauge features and all the extras that the iDatalink feature allows. I usually keep the volume at 31/35 when jamming on the highway and the headunit can go up to 33/35 before sending a slight distortion to the speakers depending on the song.

I hope the pictures, video I will tag, and information helps people during their research for speakers in their Ram. I will try my best to answer any and all questions on this thread about the sound and installation process. The video was taken on my iPhone so the bass does not come through very well but you can see how much it shakes the truck. The Focals do sound nice in the video though lol.

https://youtu.be/nksbi77cS90 (Link to Video)

Attachments

• IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3202.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3203.jpg
    IMG_3203.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_3205.jpg
    IMG_3205.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3207.jpg
    IMG_3207.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_3209.jpg
    IMG_3209.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 195
OP
OP
WhiteMamba

WhiteMamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
More Photos of Speakers

Attachments

• IMG_3212.jpg
    IMG_3212.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_3213.jpg
    IMG_3213.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3211.jpg
    IMG_3211.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_3206.jpg
    IMG_3206.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_3221.jpg
    IMG_3221.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 217
OP
OP
WhiteMamba

WhiteMamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry that the photos break your neck, I dont know why it uploads that way in the thread

Attachments

• IMG_3216.jpg
    IMG_3216.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_3218.jpg
    IMG_3218.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 183

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So how much watts you have going to the JL subs? That's what I will be ordering and running a 900/5 so 500 watts to those subs. I am curious if the bass is good as well? I have only done W7's but these trucks don't have the space.

OP
OP
WhiteMamba

WhiteMamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm putting 550 to the subs and 60 to the doors. The subs are pre wired for 2 ohms which helped a lot. They sound terrific for how small they are, they might not hit as hard as a pair of W7's but it was the best sounding option for my setup. I'm a college student who drives with the windows down a bunch if that helps give you a preference on loudness lol.

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't understands ohms or shall I say the differences. Owned JL audio in most of my vehicles but all W7s love bass but I assume you mean your system is very loud? Haven't order my door speakers yet but assuming I will do the C5s in all 4 doors

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the only thing different i would have done is bi-amp the components to really wake them up. and use the rear speakers off the kenwood power. in all my years of doing setups in my cars/trucks/suv's i have never used am power on rear speakers. since 99% of the sound comes from the front speakers why bother with an amp

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you retain the fold out floor with the stealth box? Would love to see pictures of the deadning job.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I run Focal P165's in the front doors/dash, left the stock center channel, Focal 690's in the rear doors and a JL 8W1V3 in the stock sub enclosure. AC LC6i going to Alpine PDR-F50 and PDR-M65 amps.

Sound is very clean, bass hits, but is not over powering, amps are TINY. Mounted them under the center console storage bin. They don't get hot either.

For under $2k everything has exceeded my expectations. And I've been in car audio, installing professionally from 96-02, for a long time.

Focal is the only way to go for speakers, IMO. Everything else is owned by DEI and is garbage.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that was said with his head in the sand. Focals aren't for everyone and everything else is defiantly not owned by DEI.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I think that was said with his head in the sand. Focals aren't for everyone and everything else is defiantly not owned by DEI.

haha, I agree 100%..Focals are nice, but not for everyone. too bright for me personally. How you interpret sound and whether it sounds nice or not is SOOO subjective with car audio, or audio in general. Some guys hate my Dynaudio set up...which is fine....shut the door behind you

Buckeye2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Cummins
Engine
That's an awesome job... Me personally you can't go wrong with JL audio and focal. I have a JLs 300/4 500/1 and a 450/4 that I need to install in my crew. I had a JL audio stealth box in my old truck and those things rock.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
haha, I agree 100%..Focals are nice, but not for everyone. too bright for me personally. How you interpret sound and whether it sounds nice or not is SOOO subjective with car audio, or audio in general. Some guys hate my Dynaudio set up...which is fine....shut the door behind you

I'm with you the focals are just way to bright. I like the mids but dang those tweets get to me.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I'm with you the focals are just way to bright. I like the mids but dang those tweets get to me.

E, i agree, the mids are righteous...very snappy. But the tweeters were a deal breaker for me. I like to listen to my system loud.
In defense of the Focals, most of my Focal systems I have demoed were passive systems....in Focals defense, an active system with level adjustments would be a huge advantage....tame the brightness out of the highs.
Also at moderate volume, the Focals are great....kinda why they dominated for some years in the SQ competition world...but as you know, those SQ comps are listened to at a ridiculously low volume level where the Focals shine...add a lot of volume, and ear fatigue would get to me....kinda why the laid back Dynaudios fit me so well....they simply do not lose composure, sound very natural, and BEG for more power...
Sorry to jack this OP's thread...I'm sure he'll love his Focals...many, many people do

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Ok, Maxxsonix bought some good ones, turned them to tihs, like MB Quart. Clarion isn't what it used to be after Hitachi bought them. Alpine, Pioneer have been decent over the years. Kenwood still makes nice heads, but their speakers and amps got cheap. Blaupunkt is now PepBoys garbage. A/D/S used to make awesome speakers, now, whole lotta nope.

Dynaudio makes quality speakers. No doubt about that. Guess it depends on how you listen to your music. I like a mid volume with precise sound. Most of my music collection is lossless FLAC or WAV.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I follow ya, when I am just easy listening yep I grab my Ipod that was loaded with Mark Eldridge's music collection and listen at mid volume. But when I jam out I used anything under the sun that has a half decent recording. This is why I chose the speakers that I did.
XBL tweets- very detailed but still laid back and can boogie when the volume goes up and stays detailed without killing my ears(damn hear damage).
Hertz ML1600- can be harsh but again tuning goes a long ways with this but still damn detailed at volume.
Stereo Integrity MagV3- Transparent as any JL or other main stream brand, half the price and can still satisfy my inner basshead when need be.
Focal is a good brand but its hard to say there isn't anything out there that will be as precise.

OP
OP
WhiteMamba

WhiteMamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol thanks for all the replies guys, I just logged back onto the site since most of my forum visits have been from google searches I haven't looked at my notifications.

I appreciate all of those who enjoyed my setup and I can honestly say picking out the door speakers had to be the hardest decision of my build so far. I was lucky to have a quality car shop in the area that allowed me to listen to all kinds of setups in a comfy Sparco seat with different amps, speakers, tuning, the whole 9 yards. I grew up with all of my family having Focal's in their trucks so when I couldn't decide between a couple speakers I went with my gut and chose the Focals. It also helped that Crutchfield was running a sale to clear out old inventory :))) Speakers are different for everyone and since I listen to my music with the windows down about 90% of the time because Texas never has a winter, I enjoy having bright tweeters to overpower the wind in the cab while im doing 15 over lol.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to derail anything, but thats a thousand dollar enclosure is it not? Im sure the sound amazing but I want to make sure its the same box I was considering?