Fog lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrf07d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a problem with the fog lights on a 2015 Ram 1500. I push the fog light button and the light comes on the dash but the lights on the bumper will not turn on. Is there a fuse I need to check (if so what number fuse) or could both bulbs have burnt out at the same time? I just bought the vehicle and this is the first Ram I have owned and have only had it for a week now and not sure if it is a fuse or both bulbs are burnt out.
Thanks for the help and suggestions. Much appreciation.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Are there regular halogen bulbs in the fogs? or did someone put LEDs in there? Do the fogs work with the truck on but the engine not running? Sounds like they are LEDs and it could be the CANbus error correctors or resistors on them.
Starting with the '15 model year, the trucks monitor the bulbs more and are more particular about what's in thereq

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have the headlights/parking lights on?.....make sure your brights aren’t on because the brights turn off the fogs

OP
OP
Jrf07d

Jrf07d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The light bulbs are factory as far as I can tell they are not the LED to cause the CAN BUS system to be affected. I have the headlights on when I push the button for the fog lights and the dash light comes on showing the fog lights are on but when I go in the front of the vehicle the bulbs are not lighting up. I have the hight beams off and it is the regular driving lights on. I tied it set to auto and then manual with the same result both with the vehicle on and off.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Between this and your other issue with the front sensors, sounds like an electrical gremlin. Hope you’re still under warranty

Welcome to the forum................
And GO NOLES!!!!!

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The light bulbs are factory as far as I can tell they are not the LED to cause the CAN BUS system to be affected. I have the headlights on when I push the button for the fog lights and the dash light comes on showing the fog lights are on but when I go in the front of the vehicle the bulbs are not lighting up. I have the hight beams off and it is the regular driving lights on. I tied it set to auto and then manual with the same result both with the vehicle on and off.

You sure the brights aren't on?

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you SURE you are not pushing the cargo light button?? You turn on the fogs by pushing the round headlight dial in the center... just want to ask....odder things have happened!

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel

Are you SURE you are not pushing the cargo light button?? You turn on the fogs by pushing the round headlight dial in the center... just want to ask....odder things have happened!

This.

The headlight switch is also your fog lights. You press the large knob you use to turn on the headlights for the fogs. The little button off to the side turns on your cargo lights.

I'd be willing to bet that's what you might be doing as well.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This.
The headlight switch is also your fog lights. You press the large knob you use to turn on the headlights for the fogs. The little button off to the side turns on your cargo lights.
I'd be willing to bet that's what you might be doing as well.

I did that for the first week I owned my truck. :)

-K

OP
OP
Jrf07d

Jrf07d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok let me start by saying this is my first Ram I have owned ...... Yes I was pushing the cargo lamp and walked around back and they are working fine. I then pushed the headlight button (as suggested) and the fog lights turned on perfectly!
On a side note I did find a blown fuse related to the front parking sensors I will be replacing tomorrow and hopefully that fixes the parking sensor service light. I feel pretty foolish for having pressed the wrong button for the cargo lights thinking it was the fog lights. Thank you guys so much for all he suggestions and fix to my foglight problem.
Yes go NOLES!

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok let me start by saying this is my first Ram I have owned ...... Yes I was pushing the cargo lamp and walked around back and they are working fine. I then pushed the headlight button (as suggested) and the fog lights turned on perfectly!
On a side note I did find a blown fuse related to the front parking sensors I will be replacing tomorrow and hopefully that fixes the parking sensor service light. I feel pretty foolish for having pressed the wrong button for the cargo lights thinking it was the fog lights. Thank you guys so much for all he suggestions and fix to my foglight problem.
Yes go NOLES!

You are nowhere near the only person to do this! Don't ask how I know. lol

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Yes go NOLES!

A friend of mine bought a used 2015 ram. After a few months he told me his fog lights didn't work. Same problem- he was turning on the cargo lights instead of pushing the main light switch. Happens to the best of us. ;)

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes go NOLES!

I love happy endings....welcome to the forum.

Leroy Sipe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welp I guess I have a spare set of fog lights! Thanks for the help solving what has been a fairly frustrating brain fart!