Fog Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerrorByteFX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7 Liter FlexFuel
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab. I found a super cheap Mopar fog light kit on Amazon. Anyway, my question was in the description it said "you have to have your computer reprogrammed..." to install the lights properly.

Anyone install the original Mopar fog lights have to do this? Kinda bummer getting them so cheap and than having to shell out the extra cash to have computer reprogrammed to work.

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe i have heard something to that extent. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok sometimes you have to have the computer programed but only if you have the factory fog lights or driving lights. If you do not have the factory fog/driving lights installed then you will not have to have the computer programmed.
All you have to do is run the wires like the instructions say. There should be a relay with the kit, a switch and a bunch of wires. And maybe the bolts that hold the lights in place.
When choosing a place to mount the switch make sure you can see it while driving. Wiring it will be simple. There should be a red wire with a fuse in it. That goes to the battery. A black wire with a round connector on it. Ground it to steel or the battery. Now there may be one more wire, either green or blue that should have a fuse on it also. That one is supposed to be connected to either the low or high beam wires coming from the headlights. The rest of the wires should be terminated into a 9006 connector that will plug into the fog light itself.
Link the kit if you can. If it is the one I am thinking about there is no need to program the computer.

Wanted to add this: My truck did not have the factory installed fog/driving lights. I had the dealer option which meant no computer programing needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TerrorByteFX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7 Liter FlexFuel
I know what set your talking about, the one with the little on/off black switch. Here goes the link to MOPAR OEM set I found on Amazon. I have the connector that the seller mentioned in the description and from what you mentioned, I'm good to go and don't have to worry about reprogram/scan activation.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know what set your talking about, the one with the little on/off black switch. Here goes the link to MOPAR OEM set I found on Amazon. I have the connector that the seller mentioned in the description and from what you mentioned, I'm good to go and don't have to worry about reprogram/scan activation.

Ok looking at the description you will require the computer reprogram. Here is the relevant part of the description that I am gonna quote: "AFTER INSTALLATION, YOU MUST TAKE YOUR TRUCK TO A CHRYSLER, DODGE OR JEEP DEALER TO HAVE THE COMPUTER PROGRAMMED IN ORDER FOR THE LAMPS TO FUNCTION. THERE WILL BE A CHARGE FOR THE PROGRAMMING WHICH IS SET BY THE DEALER." The reason I say that is it has the stock switch. Here is a set that does not need the computer to be programmed: Spec-D® LF-RAM02GOEM-APC - Dodge Ram 2002-2008 Smoke OEM Style Fog Lights

The ones I just linked have the aftermarket harness that connects like I described in my other post and are very good. I have a set and seeing as I had the dealer option fog lights they went in without a problem at all. If you want a better switch I would suggest going to Radio Shack and checking out what they have, or go to the dealership and ask if they have the dealer option switch for fog lights in stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TerrorByteFX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7 Liter FlexFuel
MegaMouseGW,

Thanks for replying and sharing the info. The main thing that bothered me was the little switch, I wanted everything to look stock. I didn't even think about switching it out for another. Thanks for the link and ideas, big help!!

First-truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I installed factory fog lights and never reprogrammed the PCM, and its all ran through the factory light switch. Although the fog lights are always on under normal headlight operation(brights, normal headlights, and ambers only), I actually prefer this way. You DO NOT need to reprogram the PCM. don't waste your money.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed factory fog lights and never reprogrammed the PCM, and its all ran through the factory light switch. Although the fog lights are always on under normal headlight operation(brights, normal headlights, and ambers only), I actually prefer this way. You DO NOT need to reprogram the PCM. don't waste your money.

Look at the years of our trucks. From 2006 on the Can-Bus system took over all duties related to electrical. In order for factory installed fog lights to work they must be turned on in the computer when you use the full factory kit. Using an aftermarket or dealer supplied kit you do not need to have the computer programmed because they do not connect into the main factory wiring except at the actual headlights. When the dealer installed mine they connected the signal wire (the wire that tells the relay to let the fog/driving lights turn on) to my driver side headlight harness near the headlight connector. It is a green wire with an inline fuse on it. With factory kits that wire is not there. The signal to turn on the fog/driving lights is handled by the computer through the headlight switch.

My explanation above is why a lot of people will get an aftermarket fog/driving light kit with its own harness and switch. To keep from going to the dealership and having the lights turned on at the dealer.

First-truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Or you could just run a jumper wire from the headlight relay to the fog light relay, therefore any time your headlights are on the fog lights are on. I believe it's pin 23 of the fog light relay to pin 43 of the headlight relay, not sure I remember the pin numbers correctly. But you get what I mean.

OP
OP
T

TerrorByteFX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7 Liter FlexFuel
I just called the local Dodge dealership and they want $129.99 to scan activate OEM fog lights! :disgust: I haven't decided if I should buy the OEM or after market ones yet.

I just didn't want to splice any wires or have an ugly button that looks out of place mounted somewhere. If I want it to look and be done right though, I might just get the OEM ones.