Found out sugar water was put in my gas now it wont start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmyR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
So I ran my truck out of gas. Put about 2 gallons gas in my truck. It started sputtered stalled a couple backfires then stopped and died. Wouldn't start again. Found out someone had added sugar water my gas I don't know how long it it been in there. Drop the tank cleaned it out really good didn't notice any sugar in the fuel pump. Put the tank back on everything else and it sounds like it wants to start but it won't what can I do now?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Depending on motor and year, you need to see if it will actually run. Feed gas direct into the throttle body or spray in something combustible, preferably NOT starting fluid. If it fires up, you ahve a blockage between the tank and the engine. Start with the easiest, remove and replace all filters. Sugar does not disolve in gas so it won't get to the motor suspended in the gas, but it could clogg a gas filter pretty fast.

OP
OP
A

AmyR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
OK I will try that. It's a 2002 1500 5.9 L 360 eng8ne.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
WD-40 is what i spray into gasoline engines that are stubborn when it comes to starting

OP
OP
A

AmyR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
My husband tried gas in the throttle body and still didn't start. Was told it sounded like timing was off or timing belt was broke. Also what is fuel sync and does this apply for my truck?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Not to sound rude, but you don't have enough basic knowledge to solve this problem. You aren't providing clear enough symptoms for remote diagnostics and from your follow up questions it is clear you don't know how to apply the suggested fixes and steps. Gas that is not in aerosol form is not going to travel through most throttle bodies. Your truck does not have a timing belt. Running out of gas does not affect the engine timing. Take the truck to a shop, they will most likely get it going in under an hour.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pouring some gas in the throttle body on a 5.9 usually won't do much as it will just sit in the bottom of the plenum.

Fuel sync shouldn't be an issue unless someone moved the distributor.

OP
OP
A

AmyR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Well this reply is for Dean2. Duh ! Yes you're correct I don't have that much knowledge about the whole thing that's why I'm asking questions. I'm sure you didn't start out knowing everything either. I tried what I know and before doing anything I wasn't sure on I asked. I debated on even getting on and asking in the first place. However getting different info from people I thought this was the best place. Thank you to everyone else for trying to help. ONE MORE THING I KNOW HOW TO CHANGE AND FIX NUMEROUS THINGS ON VEHICLES. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME DEALING WITH THE FUEL SYSTEM.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You can get as pissy as you want, it isn't going to solve the issue. I did try to help you, I was the first to respond with suggested solutions. I have no idea how it can be my fault that neither you or your husband know u need an aerosol in the intake or that timing is not affected by running out of gas. You can do a lot of damage to a motor if you have no clue what you are doing. Leaving raw gas sitting in the bottom of the throttle body is a great way to start an engine fire. WAY cheaper to pay a professional or get someone with good knowledge to show u. It is good to learn but there are potential costs to it too.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
When I have a gasoline engine no start I always start (no pun intended) with checking the 3 things a gasoline engine needs to run. Assuming it is cranking of course. Fuel, check the plugs for wetness of unburned fuel or dry with no fuel. As others have mentioned using a flammable liquid sprayed into the throttle body. I use gasoline in a spray bottle to test. After spraying and no start check the plugs again to make sure the fuel reached the combustion chamber. With the plugs out, ground the threaded part and look for spark while cranking the engine. Lastly, put a compression gauge in each cylinder in turn and crank to check for compression.

Still no start, time to dig deeper. Pull the valve covers. If any of the cylinders had a low compression reading I would look at those valves first. Crank the engine and look for "normal" rocker arm movement. Normal is relative to the others. See if one of these things doesn't look like the others.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
AmyR

If you can get a loaner code reader from auto parts store and have someone read codes off of your OBD2 port you’ll know a whole lot more than at noon today.

I don’t want to assume anything
did you check the battery voltage ?
are you the original owner of the truck?

you’ve gone as far as to remove the gas tank and clean it
thats not a small task

it might be as simple as a fuse or as complicated as a timing chain slipping it could be just a sensor.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
So I ran my truck out of gas. Put about 2 gallons gas in my truck. It started sputtered stalled a couple backfires then stopped and died. Wouldn't start again. Found out someone had added sugar water my gas I don't know how long it it been in there. Drop the tank cleaned it out really good didn't notice any sugar in the fuel pump. Put the tank back on everything else and it sounds like it wants to start but it won't what can I do now?

I'm also curious about the sugar water. You state you ran out of gas, put 2 gallons in it, and your problems started. Was it running fine before it ran out of gas? How long of time passed before it ran out and when you put 2 gallons in? When do you think the sugar water was added?

PlainPractical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I read that the fuel pump sometimes goes to crap when you run out of gas - overheats with no fuel running through it (my life expereince goes back to when fuel pumps ran off the cam, so this info is what I *read*). Your focus is on the "after I put in two gallons", but maybe problem came with the "I ran out of fuel". As some others have suggested - crank engine for a good bit, then see if plugs are wet - you wil at least know you are getting gas. As long as you have the plug out, check for spark and then may as well check compression (though that seems a reach). Fuel pump has a fuse - check that too. Sometimes they are tough to see, so for testing purposes swap it out with a same amperage fuse for something non-critical (like powerr window).

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
If sugar water had been put into your tank. It has a long way yo go. The fuel filter was in the tank. It would have been water wet. That needed to be changed.
Second is uncovering the air box and air filter off the top of the engine. Next was checking the Schrader vale by unscrewing the cap and with a rag seeing if you have any pressure at all. If none is evident have a helper jut turn the keep on for 5 seconds at a time without trying to start it. Do that 3-4 times, If no pressure. Your heading back to the pump in the tank by troubleshooting that part of the system. Check fuses and connections as you head back to the tank. If you find the pump is not running you'll know it's either a electrical issue for that pump or the pump itself. Or even that filter in that tank which could be blocked.

Back to first step if you have fuel pressure at the Schrader valve. You have other issues, and more trouble shooting should be done.
You'll find YouTube is a great source on many things by priming the fuel line, testing for pressure, and replacing the complete pump in the tank. Its basic mechanics at this point. Anything beyond this needs a bit more experience and would pay you to have someone with a bit more knowledge to help in person.
Those speaking of putting gas into the throttle body. It would be a mist because pouring gas in is that it ends up at the bottom of the plenum. Not the cylinders. A disposable plastic sprayer should last long enough to work set on wide spray. Probably Trash the sprayer tho.
Using starter fluid directly into the throttle body can blow a head off. Seen a guy do that once. It should only be sprayed out side the air intake before the air filter.

SPORTRAM17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Myself I don't use spray bottle filled with gas, I just use a can of brake cleaner, just don't buy the "non flammable" kind. Or a can of carb cleaner will do too. I feel it is safer than spray bottle filled with gas. Hopefully you get it figured out.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Unless the truck is on level ground, it is possible that 2 gallons isn't enough to get you going. That much can pool on one side or in a corner if you are on a hill. No gas getting to the intake, no start.

Always check the simple things first, most of the time you will find your answer, or at least make some progress.