Found possibly THE one.... what do you think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Stasek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Your leaving ALOTTA money on the table... when they give YOU the price in person, walk out. They`ll come around if they really want to sell you a truck.
I beat the dealer monkies to death on my 2018... $15k off the window sticker. It CAN BE done!
Just depends on how much your willing to bend over for them to screw, YOU!

And DONT BUY all the glam they want to push onto you either, like extended warranties, paint protection, electronic rust protection, its ALL a scam...PERIOD.
You can buy the extended FCA warranty down the road later, for a hell of alot less...! And remember, when they finance you, banks pay them to use their service!
Get financing on your own BEFORE YOU go to the dealer... trust me, you can get better financing than they`ll give you.

Last of all, GO OVER THAT CONTRACT BEFORE YOU SIGN IT.... trust, but verify.
Once your inked, you`re done, no changing anything once you sign it.
The best I’ve seen reported on custom orders is 9% below pseudo invoice + incentives. It’s easier to negotiate a deal on the in stock inventory, especially if the truck has been sitting on the lot for a while. I’m seeing some pretty aggressive pricing on trucks with build date in March and April. No thanks - considering the first year “blues”.

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP
S

Stasek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
40K miles? $34K? Doesn't seem like a great deal or a bad deal.

There's a window sticker link in the ad, https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RR7WT4HS603743&

That says the truck started as "Longhorn" and has the "Limited" package 26V added to it. Plus Ram Box, and air suspension delete. Sticker says $59K, so given the usual 15% to 25% discount, chances are that truck sold new for $45K to $50K.

It’s definitely not a screaming deal. 40k is relatively high for 2017. The air suspension delete is actually a huge bonus - I won’t even consider air suspension. Too many problems with them in cold weather. Still on the fence about ramboxes. Cool idea, but I currently have a cap on my truck and it’s great. Might want to put one on the Ram.

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s definitely not a screaming deal. 40k is relatively high for 2017. The air suspension delete is actually a huge bonus - I won’t even consider air suspension. Too many problems with them in cold weather. Still on the fence about ramboxes. Cool idea, but I currently have a cap on my truck and it’s great. Might want to put one on the Ram.

I don't think there's a way to put a cap or even a hard tonneau on a Ram Box truck. I bought my truck last April and looked into both, and as I recall they all excluded Ram Box trucks. I guess if you have a strong use for those, they'd be awesome but for me they are an overkill solution. A couple Action Packers and a tool bag solve my storage needs just fine, locked under the hard cover.

cbacarisse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Out of curiosity, if your Tundra served you well for so many years, why not look at a new/newer one?

I love my 2014 RAM, but I’m not in love with the 2019 yet. Thought about a Tundra for the next go round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
S

Stasek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Out of curiosity, if your Tundra served you well for so many years, why not look at a new/newer one?

I love my 2014 RAM, but I’m not in love with the 2019 yet. Thought about a Tundra for the next go round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Good question. My friend has a ‘16 CrewMax with TRD package. It’s a very nice truck, but there are couple things that bug me. The interior, while nicely laid out, is a sea of hard plastic. My 12 year old Limited feels much more upscale. Another thing is the MPG - I know - it’s a truck, if I wanted good gas mileage, I should drive a Prius, but somehow getting 13-14 mpg is not appealing to me (I’m getting that with my 4.7). I’m a GC and a RE broker - most of my “work” is driving around, hence the appeal of the V6 Ram.

Last thing is the price of entry - I don’t want a stripped down work truck - I like my toys and creature comfort. Similarly equipped Tundra would be ~$5k more. Sure , you can probably recoup the difference at resale/trade in, but I’m not thinking about it at this point.

Magna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your Truck, your choice...personally, I hate the look of the new front end. Not to mention the billboard they call a tailgate. Those two things and GM finally realizing after 40 years that round wheels look stupid in a square hole, has me looking at the 2019 Silverado/Sierra. I’ll most likely go with a 6.2L as I don’t think I can drop from 5.7 Hemi and not feel underpowered in a 5.3 on Houston highways.

Plus, the company I work for is a GM supplier so we get that perk. FCA uses a different supplier for their brake lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R1200GS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't think you can still buy the Max Care lifetime w/unlimited miles.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a truck very similar to the used one you are looking at. I am waiting on a new one. Mine is being traded unless I sell it first. Too bad I'm in Canada. Mine has 3:92s, LSD, air suspension and sun roof as well as Limited "appearance pkg" but no Ram boxes. I order my trucks so that they are equipped the way I want them. As expensive as they are why put up with something that is exactly right for you. I would look long and hard at the 5th gen in your case.

KDunivanHomes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
After looking at the new 5th gen Big Horns, I think I decided to buy a used 4th gen. Just left the dealer (without buying), but what do you think?

https://www.larryroeschchryslerjeep...ie-longhorn-4wd-4d-crew-cab-1c6rr7wt4hs603743

They call it a longhorn, but it’s actually a Limited, equipped with almost every option I would want (long bed, ramboxes, air ride deleted). Seems like a pretty good deal. I would probably add the longest Maxcare available.

Nice truck. Allow me to offer some advice. I'm not sure if you are a negotiator or not. I didnt look up the KBB price but I assume its retail and they knocked off a little from that. I'd suggest to keep bartering the price. You can easily get another 2k off of the price or at least have negotiate the full extended warranty. The negotiations will go back and forth. As soon as you believe they are at the lowest price, get up and walk away and say you will think about it. Or simply let them know you want 2k off or free extended warranty. In June I bought a 2018 Ram 4x4 Laramie ecodiesel. Sticker was 58k, I gave 44,100 and got tint, bedliner, undercoat, and vin etching for free. My wife just got a 2019 Ram 4x4 Laramie Longhorn. Sticker was 58, 450. We paid little over 43k. It took me a week of negotiating on each and I walked away more than once on each. You work hard for your money, stretch it out the best you can. Good luck. Its a very nice truck!

phreak480

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No they didn’t. They claim they it would become a commercial vehicle and could only reach a certain market. So it never happened.
A 6’4” bed is known as a regular bed. Plus it’s got the rambox
Only 2500’s and up get the option of a 8’ bed unless it’s a regular cab 8’ bed 1500 and those are becoming rare to find.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Off Road.

In 4th gens they didn't but my 03 ram 1500 was a 4 door 8 ft bed monster.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to the car fax it was a leased vehicle.

I’d want to know if it was leased to an individual for a two year lease or was it a fleet vehicle leased to a rental place where people drove the crap out of it.

I did a three year lease some years ago and barely did the maintenance and I drove it pretty hard because it wasn’t my car. I sure would not have bought it knowing what it went through.

I’d have to pass...40k is too many miles for a 2017...should be 20k or less for that money

Just my opinion

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
In 4th gens they didn't but my 03 ram 1500 was a 4 door 8 ft bed monster.

I was meaning the C/C and 8’ bed. Not the opening extended cab.

Common sense is a virtue...

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Not looking for a preowned, but you can send this one to me! I love it!

My 2013 is the same color.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
2018 tradesman, manual door locks and windows. All I need but happy for you. I just wanted that 6.4

MikoMN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a comparison! I bought almost the same truck in 2016. (It was a 2015, I bought it late 2016). Mine only had 18,500 miles on it, and it cost me $37,000. I know every market is a little different. I live in MN, but bought it in Utah because it saved me thousands of dollars to do so.

I have loved every minute of having it. I particularly love the ramboxes, and bed divider.

Mine is not the special edition, but has all the bells as the one you linked plus air suspension (not sure if I like that) and it had the AMP runner boards on it.

If it is a good value in your market and you love it. I say do it. You can always sell it again if you decide differently later.

MikoMN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also... I noticed the description said air suspension, but the pics indicate it does not have it. You might want to clarify.

Arctic RJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m very happy with my 4th gen 2017 Ram Bighorn. Compared to the cost of brand new, it’s a no brainer IMHO.