Found this in my oil.......??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffrey Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
First oil change @ 4500 miles and I found a rather large piece of metal in the pan when I drained it! Anyone know what it could be? Concerning? Thanks

A7EC424A-9DC3-4641-8F36-BD3D04E77D3E.jpeg

1CB96B0D-697F-4C2F-8320-79C33DCC2C92.jpeg

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Weird. What kind of metal? Magnetic or not? Sounds like maybe you dropped the pan to change the oil or just to see what may be in there? If it were me, I'd be looking for the source for sure. Good luck.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Looks like it’s painted on one side and or coated on the other?
It might be a piece of the hole punched from stamped metal from the oil pan drain plug before it is welded into hole and the piece wasn’t de-burred?

How large is that plastic bag is it quart or gallon ?

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Yeah my first thought was some sort of cam bearing metal or something but not sure. I agree it looks painted/coated on one side.

You 100% sure your pan was free of all debris before dumping oil into it?

Keep an eye on your oil pressure to see if it seems low.

dale197338

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi
Well dude hasn't been back sooooo

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's no way that came out of the drain plug too big, maybe it came out of filter, its a strip of powder coated sheet medal.

OP
OP
Jeffrey Clark

Jeffrey Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
I’m an aircraft mechanic so yes my pan was clear and I wouldn’t post on here if i knew what it came from.. def competent on oil changes and the process I’m almost 40 and never trusted the dealers because they all suck!! Just want to know is anyone else had anything like this... don’t be a smart ass

OP
OP
Jeffrey Clark

Jeffrey Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
It’s a tad smaller than the drain plug btw.. I’d take a pic side by side but it’s kinda in the truck again..

OP
OP
Jeffrey Clark

Jeffrey Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
You sure it came out of the drain plug and didnt just fall from somewhere else into the drain pan?

sure I wiped it out thoroughly before the change I wanted to see if anything came outta the engine that’s why I did it and not the dealer...

OP
OP
Jeffrey Clark

Jeffrey Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Gonna show this to the dealer and it was a quart size zip I wanted to save it.. for show and research prob just dump this truck not very trusting of the build quality with the other issues I’ve had..

OP
OP
Jeffrey Clark

Jeffrey Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
By myself enjoying the time doing productive things so no rush and very attentive thanks

83BB8D64-9894-4AE6-A5B7-DC18804EDA97.jpeg

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I’m an aircraft mechanic so yes my pan was clear and I wouldn’t post on here if i knew what it came from.. def competent on oil changes and the process I’m almost 40 and never trusted the dealers because they all suck!! Just want to know is anyone else had anything like this... don’t be a smart ass

If you're referring to my post about maybe you have a practical joker friend playing you, that was in a serious vein, not being a "smart ass". And your last photo was a much better one, that piece is definitely a problem, maybe a valve train part. But I won't waste any more time with an ego/attitude like yours, adios mister "aircraft mechanic".

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
To be fair, most of you guys are giving this guy quite a hard time...

I'll take the OP at his word that everything is as he says it is and share in his alarm...I'd be pretty worried if I found that too. I'd like to say the best explanation may be what someone mentioned earlier and this may be a leftover from the stamping of the pan itself that held on until final assembly. Does it look like it's the same material as the oil pan itself?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk