Frame welding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cowboy1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
Right now I'm looking to buy a 2001 dodge ram 2500 4x4 longbed and I went an looked at the rig today and the guy told me he had the front part of the frame right inside the wheel wells in front of the shocks reinforced because he was told that part was weak on this truck. Now ive never heard of a weak frame so I just wanted to know if this guy is messing with me and this truck had front end damage or he's tellin the truth.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have never heard of this area being a point of weakness. It is very likely the vehicle has been 'fixed' from something.

Unless it's a good deal (ok, GREAT deal) or you can tell the frame under the 'patch' is unmolested. RUN AWAY!

OP
OP
C

Cowboy1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
108xxx want 6500 for it and no rust sounds like a good deal but still the frame is a big deal if it was screwed up

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like a decent deal. I would inspect the area more.

Is the truck lifted?

Look closely at the frame rail on the other side. See how the top / inside of the frame rail looks from the engine bay. both sides should look identical.

Also look for obvious signs of the fender being replaced. (the nuts under the hood having paint chipped off etc).

If it looks like it's had the frame pulled, I would personally walk away.
I don't believe in the practice.

OP
OP
C

Cowboy1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
Im trying to upload the picture ive never seen this before but its all orange like sombody tried to paint it and the front of the truck look fine no scrathes or anything on the hood or fenders or body itself acctually really clean truck the only thing missing is the plastic piece that goes up in the wheel well on the left front side of the truck. the photo is attached

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 293
OP
OP
C

Cowboy1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
This is the truck

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 288

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
I don't see a "patch", I see the upper a arm mount to frame BUT I also see what looks like a cracked frame that has been welded. If you know a body man I'd have him take a look at it.
Personally the price of $6,500 with a frame in question would have me walking away but that's just me.

Rollincoal420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Oh6
Engine
C
Subscribing to c what other people say. I personally wouldnt worry about it. If it was a concern of strength, i would reinforce it. But...it looks like a gas truck? Price seems alittle high if u think it is a crack or damage repair

Samsung SCH-I510 tapatalkin 2 u

OP
OP
C

Cowboy1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
yes it is a gas truck been looking for a diesel for months just cant seem to find one, and yeah i think im gonna walk away from this one just because i dont know if this guy is telling the truth or if hes feeding me BS and i dont know a body guy that could come with me look at it, thanks for all your help.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To me, that looks like some idiot hit the frame with orange paint.

The factory welds on some of these trucks (on anything) are downright pathetic.
This looks fine to me. The lack of deformation around holes makes me think it's not bent / torn.

Not that I'm in anyway an expert, but I'd clean it really well, and hit the whole frame rail with semi-gloss black, and enjoy that badass looking truck!

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
i would have the truck inpsected if your are seriously interested. the frame is way to important to go with a "well it looks fine in the pic" its worth spending $50 for an inspection to save you thousands in a truck with issues...