From 2015 Sierra to 2016 Ram Rebel. My thoughts so far...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
I whent from an 2008 Avalanche 5.3 Z71 and the G80 locker worked good, so did MDS.

The MDS on my 2015 RAM feels like it hangs on about 5% to long, the car starts to vibrate/shiver a little before disengaging the MDS.

The low beam is about the same, vill go HID soon!

The ride was smoother in the Chevy then in this RAM 1500, this Ram I feel every rock on the road. Will try to go Bilstein b8 6112 in the front and Bilstein b8 5160 in the rear later.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know about the newest model Rams with MDS, but the 08-14s anyway are having cam problems. My buddy is a mechanic in an independent shop, and in two weeks time he had three Rams in for a miss on #5 cylinder that turned out to be a bad cam. They were not high milers either, all were under 150K, one was around 110K and he said looked very well taken care of, inside was clean as new. It's not a cheap fix, it's labor intensive and there is a healthy core charge for the cams, which they get from Mopar. He said they want every cam back, which tells me they know there is an issue there and they need the cores to regrind. He said the average cost of the repair is in the $3000 range which to most of us is a lot of jack. He's done GM's with MDS for lifter problems too, his advice to me was 'buy old, before the MDS on any of them'. Not a problem for me, that's all I can afford!

Hmmm...if this is true, then that's all the more reason to get the FCA Lifetime Max Care warranty! I did so for my '16 Rebel and I'd say on these sophisticated tricks, it's a must!

TXCOMT

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I am glad I am not the only one that thinks wheel wells should match the wheels, round... :)

Yea, they completely F-up the look of the GM trucks in my opinion

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
What going away from the square fenders, dang just after they made wheels and tires to fit. lol :)

View attachment 120253

ROFL, LMAO!!!!!! agreed, thought they were hideous on my Silverado.
Also the hood and fenders were so thin, I was afraid I'd dent them just by leaning against the truck

It had been several years since I owned a Chevy truck, but unfortunately the same bugs still plague them. Interior rattles very early on and often, etc. I thought they'd be better after the bailout, but it' the same gm junk as before, at least in my experiemce

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks. Also, forgot one more: The Sierra's automatic climate control allowed the A/C to be on all the time if you want it. The Ram will not. Winner: Sierra.

I don't understand your point.
If the Ram needs it to reach the desired cabin temp it turns it on. Theres no reason to run a compressor if its 20 degrees out unless you want to waste gas and horsepower.:shakehead:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the Ram needs it to reach the desired cabin temp it turns it on. Theres no reason to run a compressor if its 20 degrees out unless you want to waste gas and horsepower.:shakehead:

Well, running it will remove humidity from the air....but the trade off isn't worth it.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned two 2014 Silverado's before buying a Laramie back in 2015 and they were both vibrating ****boxes. When I test drove the Laramie I drove it 30+ miles at all speeds and on all kinds of road surfaces to make sure there were no vibrations. The headlights were much better on the Silverado and the fact that the cruise stayed on all the time were the only two things that the Chevy had going for it. If you think the throttle in your Ram is slow to respond drive a GM truck and you'll change your mind real quick. I had to drive my dads 2008 Silverado the other day and watching the hood constantly flex while driving down the freeway was tough not to mention the serious lack of power.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
ROFL, LMAO!!!!!! agreed, thought they were hideous on my Silverado.
Also the hood and fenders were so thin, I was afraid I'd dent them just by leaning against the truck

It had been several years since I owned a Chevy truck, but unfortunately the same bugs still plague them. Interior rattles very early on and often, etc. I thought they'd be better after the bailout, but it' the same gm junk as before, at least in my experiemce

They have made interior improvements but they still have work to do. I dont know why, at least on Cadillac, they don't get serious. The CT6 and Escalade have cheap plastics every where. But all those cars cost your life savings. The 5th gen Ram Limited had a nicer interior than any of those Cadillac's I just mentioned. And it is cheaper.
I owned two 2014 Silverado's before buying a Laramie back in 2015 and they were both vibrating ****boxes. When I test drove the Laramie I drove it 30+ miles at all speeds and on all kinds of road surfaces to make sure there were no vibrations. The headlights were much better on the Silverado and the fact that the cruise stayed on all the time were the only two things that the Chevy had going for it. If you think the throttle in your Ram is slow to respond drive a GM truck and you'll change your mind real quick. I had to drive my dads 2008 Silverado the other day and watching the hood constantly flex while driving down the freeway was tough not to mention the serious lack of power.

The Ram's cruise good. Even my 2500, cruises great on the highway. This HD is more relaxing and easier to drive on the highway than my 1500 Silverado was. The steering is much better too. More precise and has a solid accurate feel. Sometimes cant believe it's a HD truck.

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie, 2018 Sport, 2021 3500 6.7, 2014 Sport, 2021 Classic Night Express
Engine
hemi 5.7

Man, I forgot about that one. My foot was to the floor most of the time to get that friggen thing to move!!!

BCA87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
fpdsniper..if you don't mind saying, or my asking, where about in the QC are you? I lived in Moline from like '96-'02. My Father and his wife still live there.

OP
OP
fpdsniper

fpdsniper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I very good mechanic once told me that the key to having fewer a/c problems was to run it all the time. That keeps the seals from becoming brittle and leaking out the refrigerant. The fuel penalty is very minimal. Since adopting this habit many years ago, I've never had an a/c issue.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I very good mechanic once told me that the key to having fewer a/c problems was to run it all the time. That keeps the seals from becoming brittle and leaking out the refrigerant. The fuel penalty is very minimal. Since adopting this habit many years ago, I've never had an a/c issue.

Of course that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.
The a/c needs to be run periodically during the off season to keep the seals from becoming brittle, but that is generally accomplished by running the HVAC system in the defrost mode in the winter time as needed for normal winter driving.
Running the a/c all the time is just stupid.

OP
OP
fpdsniper

fpdsniper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Of course that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.
The a/c needs to be run periodically during the off season to keep the seals from becoming brittle, but that is generally accomplished by running the HVAC system in the defrost mode in the winter time as needed for normal winter driving.
Running the a/c all the time is just stupid.
Almost as stupid as someone that makes a comment without any supporting information for their insulting opinion. i.e.- Buying a Red (insert an color) truck is just stupid.

OP
OP
fpdsniper

fpdsniper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck has been at the dealership for one week now. I had to take time off work to confront them on why it hasn't moved from where it was parked. Had to rattle the service managers cage after a service writer lied about promising me they would "look at it" on Thursday, and didn't. So, they got it in and called me. Air suspension compressor is shot. Service manager tells me that there are 600 of these on backorder throughout the US. Not exactly confidence inspiring news. He will "try to expedite" the new compressor, but even that will take at least 2 weeks. So that will be 3 weeks I got to drive the truck, followed by at least 3 weeks (probably more) sitting in the shop. I blame myself for not checking into this wonderful air suspension before buying the truck. Would have been a deal breaker. Yeah, I'm a bit pissed. I love pretty much everything about this truck. That is when I can actually drive it! I've read nothing that indicates to me that Ram has done anything to make these crap air suspension components more reliable. If anyone has some good news in this area, please share. I'm certainly happy that I paid for an extended warranty even though it's under factory warranty. It appears I'm gonna need it.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My truck has been at the dealership for one week now. I had to take time off work to confront them on why it hasn't moved from where it was parked. Had to rattle the service managers cage after a service writer lied about promising me they would "look at it" on Thursday, and didn't. So, they got it in and called me. Air suspension compressor is shot. Service manager tells me that there are 600 of these on backorder throughout the US. Not exactly confidence inspiring news. He will "try to expedite" the new compressor, but even that will take at least 2 weeks. So that will be 3 weeks I got to drive the truck, followed by at least 3 weeks (probably more) sitting in the shop. I blame myself for not checking into this wonderful air suspension before buying the truck. Would have been a deal breaker. Yeah, I'm a bit pissed. I love pretty much everything about this truck. That is when I can actually drive it! I've read nothing that indicates to me that Ram has done anything to make these crap air suspension components more reliable. If anyone has some good news in this area, please share. I'm certainly happy that I paid for an extended warranty even though it's under factory warranty. It appears I'm gonna need it.

Where I live I wouldn’t touch the air suspension with another’s mans hands. I love the idea and I am sure in California it is great. Salt, ice, cold weather no thank you. Love the Ram though.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L

Agree 100% that's another of many things about my 15 Silverado that annoyed the heck out of me. The stupid ac turned on by itself all the time and I had to keep manually turning it off! Seeing the ac indicator light on all the time when I didnt want it on was extremely annoying and distracting.

Yes the hood flex at highway speeds, absolutely awful 6 speed transmission, lf pdl actuator that always squeaked if it was 50 degrees or less outside, interior rattles that started at 3,000 miles, engine rattled during cold weather cold starts, driver'
Seat bottom that started shifting around at 2,000 miles or so (known problem), very lazy throttle response, had to give it half a pedal just to move, etc.

I could go on and on I grew to hate that truck, especially considering how expensive it was. Same old gm junk as I said before. Any hd guys who complain about our 6 speed need to go drive a 14 and newer gm truck if they truly want to see what pure garbage is like.

I love my ram so far, over a year later I still really like it. Don't miss that junk Chevy at all.

blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
2016 Colorado.....has same problem with hood vibration.
There was a recall of the hood latch, but that did not fix the problem
I have a bug shield on it, tech said that was the problem, I reminded him they installed it/sold it to me, and he changed his tune