Front brakes don't work after panic stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paramax55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The title pretty much says it. It's a 2006 3500 6-speed. As I turned my head in a parking lot, I thought I saw a car's bumper out of the corner of my eye and I stomped the clutch and brake pretty hard. Now the first inch or so of the pedal is soft and the front brakes don't engage. I feel some sort of feedback in the pedal like I'm hitting a spring or something and, if I push even harder, it tries to disengage the rears (scary when you're coming up on traffic). Is this the master cylinder causing this? Was it going bad and I blew out the front cup seal or something?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything wet under the truck? Check the brake lines. Maybe you had a rusted one that blew when you stood on the brakes.

OP
OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing blew like that and the fluid level is fine. Besides, if that were the case, fluid would just be pumping out every time I touch the pedal and the reservoir would be empty.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like they need bled. And the rear adjusted ,

OP
OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A little air in the line would make the brakes go from completely normal to absolutely non-functional fronts with one press of the pedal?

OP
OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not saying that's not true, but what would that have to do with this problem?

OP
OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, it's time for me to eat a little crow... it was a brake line.

So, I bought a new master cylinder. Before I left, I checked to see if it was the right one. By now, I had driven the truck a little more and I noticed brake fluid on the old master cylinder. I got someone to press the brake while I watched under the hood and there was the smallest fog of a stream coming from the front line where it exited the master. It wasn't enough to empty the reservoir, but it was enough to STOP the front brakes from doing anything.

So I took the old line off, bent me up a new one, reused the old fittings, bubble flared the ends and put it on. Slowly tightening the fittings while pumping the brakes - just enough to where it quit leaking - had the added benefit of bleeding the air out of the lines at the same time. Now everything is back to normal.

I've never had a brake line rust through like that. Of course, I've always vowed to never buy a vehicle that had been up north. But this truck was too nice at too good of a price. Now I'm stuck dealing with rust. I'd like to replace both lines before the back one goes out (my new one isn't exactly routed like the factory one). Where do I get just those two lines? The rest look to be in decent shape. Is the stealership the only place?

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I've always just bought the length I need with the fittings on the ends and routed them myself.