Front Camera, is there one aftermarket or OE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Since lifting my 17 1500, Ive had trouble gauging my allotted distance and could benefit from a camera. Has any found one that is worth the cost and did it work with 8.4 UConnect?

cyclopsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m having the same problem judging distance. I am considering adding Fensen Wireless Parking Sensor ($150) on the front after Christmas holidays. I would prefer a front camera but this may be more economical approach

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would also love a front camera built into the Uconnect. Ideally it would switch on automatically when the park sense sensors detect something in front, so in theory it would only come on when parking.

OP
OP
JRam5.7

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sensors are an option but only if there is an object in front of you. I always stop like 3-4 ft short of the line and leave my @ss sticking out lol.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Look into LockPick, CustomTronix, PAC, Crux, NavTv, etc for front Cameras and interfaces/modules to add extra cameras.

I'm using the Customtronix RAx on the 8.4AN with my own eBay camera (in the ram head)
but I'm still on the v16.x radio software... v17.x doesn't work with the Customtronix and LockPick yet then least time I checked (maybe PAC, Crux, NavTv, too)

M² Mods.

dirter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The latest lock pick works on the latest radios. It's the air HD and it just became available in the last couple days. The fellows were waiting on a shipment of new processors and I guess they finally came in. I just ordered it for my new ride. I had an older version on my 09 with front cam and we also have it in my sweetie's jeep with cams on all sides. Really works well. The fronts come on at 8 mph auto or any time with a couple button pushes. Highly recommend.

Hey grimm, any chance you have a link to the eBay cam you got? There's only about 2800 listings that come up when you search. I haven't settled on what type I want to install yet.

OP
OP
JRam5.7

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The latest lock pick works on the latest radios. It's the air HD and it just became available in the last couple days. The fellows were waiting on a shipment of new processors and I guess they finally came in. I just ordered it for my new ride. I had an older version on my 09 with front cam and we also have it in my sweetie's jeep with cams on all sides. Really works well. The fronts come on at 8 mph auto or any time with a couple button pushes. Highly recommend.

Hey grimm, any chance you have a link to the eBay cam you got? There's only about 2800 listings that come up when you search. I haven't settled on what type I want to install yet.

Do you have a link? I just tried a Google search with no results.

dirter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
https://www.coastaletech.com/uconnectairv2.htm

I've gotten cameras from Camera Source. Top quality but also top price. Not sure what the difference is between a $15 eBay cam and a $180 EVI camera source cam but they do work nice. I'm just not completely thrilled with the options for the front. I currently have a Limited with that new style RAM grill and hate it. On top of being butt ugly there's no real good place to mount a cam. I have a honeycomb grill on the way which should help. I had the cam tucked in close to the center pillar in the combs on my 09 and it was invisible.

Last edited:

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
The lock pick seems really reasonably priced for what you get. I'd like to get one with a front camera and the ability to mirror my phone in the near future for sure. Anyone have feedback on what setting one of these up is like?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Here's the parts I used to make my own...

$17.50 emblem
-http://www.ebay.com/itm/321564881626

Edit:
I'm told by another member that this one on Amazon doesn't have the water intrusion issues mentioned below. Same size and slightly less at the moment.

- $15.96 BW Front Car Camera (only one that fits. 19mm vs 21mm)https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AYGKEVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_M0SEBbBN7ZK1E

The drill bit that came with the camera was duller than a butter knife and trying not to scratch the chrome was very difficult (tight clearance).

Fully adjustable and less than $36.

Ref:
$17.80 camera (orig. 19mm = water issues) >> not recommended
-http://www.ebay.com/itm/272254899836

Downside is that I have replaced the camera 3x in a year due to condensation getting inside the camera after it rains. Takes 2-3 days to clear out. Tried sealing the edges with epoxy and it only helped a little.

** I've been trying to get feedback from people about the official Ram's head front camera from CustomTronix and it's ability to keep out water, but haven't gotten any replies. (Blacked out version also available) http://customtronix.com/webshop/emblem-camera-chrome/

I also have one of their Sony Front Cams Zip tied into the grill for testing (Came with the RAx Jailbreak Silver kit), which is great quality and waterproof, but I like the look of the Rams Head cam the best.
http://customtronix.com/webshop/chryslerdodgeram-icos-rax-jailbreak-silver/

Here's mine ...
** Get a 12v wall wart power supply to power it up and hook it to a TV's analog video input to "pre-align" & aim the camera before install **
** Use masking/painters tape on the chrome to protect it while drilling... there is almost no clearance to avoid scratching it! **

8a3a3e2d8823fb032784ce5197f89d96.jpg
eae32c58525d94325dacd4a2c2d4b58f.jpg
02f41f90811d72107f14b41255622acb.jpg
5254459cf20ec9d60e0fd2e6a8a9bc59.jpg

cee07a23c9a36671d6557df64ee8038e.jpg

M² Mods.

Last edited:

dirter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice. Looks identical to the cams on the turn sigs of our jeep and they work nice.

OP
OP
JRam5.7

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Ram Fan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Limited
Engine
EcoDiesel, GDE tuned, 3.55 axle ratio
I'd like the front camera as well. Also I have a wireless camera on the back of my travel trailer with a separate monitor that mounts on the dash. I would LOVE to be able to integrate that into my 8.4 Uconnect display - does anyone know if that's possible and if so how I would go about doing that?

OP
OP
JRam5.7

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'd like the front camera as well. Also I have a wireless camera on the back of my travel trailer with a separate monitor that mounts on the dash. I would LOVE to be able to integrate that into my 8.4 Uconnect display - does anyone know if that's possible and if so how I would go about doing that?
See previous post. Follow link.

dirter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As soon as you click any radio links on OEM it takes you to infotainment. They used to be OEM Auto Parts and they are the ones I got my 2009 1500 rig from and the radio in wife's new Jeep. Good outfit. That front camera that goes over the RAM emblem has the same picture as Camera Source. I think they must all be buds because they all recommend each other. All good stuff though so it works out.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Dang, how many names does OEM Audio, Infotainment.com go by?

PS: I have made one adapter harness for plugging in an aftermarket camera (ie on a trailer) into the factory wiring at the Tailgate connector. Check the M² Mods vendor page for a picture and check back with me at the end of January once I'm moved/caught up on orders if interested.

M² Mods.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know what resolution the 8.4 screen is capable of? I don't want to spend money on a 1080P aftermarket camera if the factory screen cannot support that resolution.

OP
OP
JRam5.7

JRam5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Any recommendations on an OEM looking Front Camera button for a clean install? And where have you seen them installed in the truck?

Ive seen one button but it says its for a FJ Cruiser, I'm waiting a reply from manufacturer on applicability. Ill most likely install it to the left of my other buttons in the console switch panel, I think the far left is vacant for this purpose?

View attachment 116853

View attachment 116854

Last edited: