Front CV/Axle w/ Bilsteins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
I put on a leveling kit like 90k miles ago, and I recently started hearing some weird noise that oscillated from my front right side. So I had a mechanic put it up on a lift and I noticed that the CV axle is like 1/2" off the transaxle spindle, probably causing the noise. So, is there a slightly longer AXLE I should have used when I put the levelling kit on? Could the CV just be bad/worn and cause it to compress enough to come off the transfer spindle?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The retention clip most likely failed from wear. If the output shaft is still good then replace the clip and put some kind of grease in there to prevent too much wear and tear on the splines and retention clip. I need to pull mine apart and clean them and check everything. I’m about 50,000 miles on my truck. 40,000 of that leveled.

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The retention clip most likely failed from wear. If the output shaft is still good then replace the clip and put some kind of grease in there to prevent too much wear and tear on the splines and retention clip. I need to pull mine apart and clean them and check everything. I’m about 50,000 miles on my truck. 40,000 of that leveled.
Uhhh, what retention clip? I was under it last night changing sway bar links and noticed I see BOTH axles not completely flush with the splines, so I was assumming it was normal. What exactly am I looking for?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the actual output shaft has a detent in it that a clip fits in and the cv axle has a detent on the inside that when you slide it over the output shaft they lock together. If the clip wears out or the splines wear out it can come loose

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the actual output shaft has a detent in it that a clip fits in and the cv axle has a detent on the inside that when you slide it over the output shaft they lock together. If the clip wears out or the splines wear out it can come loose
Climbed under there and had someone spin the tire. The passenger side does not have the retaining clip, drivers side appeared to still be seated. Where can I get retaining clip for these, I didnt see on Rockauto. I am planning on maybe just getting the Cardone HD shafts and doing the wheel hub assemblies while I am in there...thoughts?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the clip @crazykid1994 is referring to is inside the CV axle end that slides over the output shafts from the diff, not an exterior retaining clip.

See the grooves in both sides output shafts? There's a clip inside the CV axle that snaps into that groove
4dda76dbe925dce52aae16350be60fcd.jpg

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How tall did you go with your front level and what method did you use?

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the clip @crazykid1994 is referring to is inside the CV axle end that slides over the output shafts from the diff, not an exterior retaining clip.

See the grooves in both sides output shafts? There's a clip inside the CV axle that snaps into that groove
View attachment 516559
I see. Thank you.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Climbed under there and had someone spin the tire. The passenger side does not have the retaining clip, drivers side appeared to still be seated. Where can I get retaining clip for these, I didnt see on Rockauto. I am planning on maybe just getting the Cardone HD shafts and doing the wheel hub assemblies while I am in there...thoughts?

View attachment 516559
Thanks Daniel. That’s what I was trying to explain.

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's not crazy, just trying to figure out if you went crazy with CV angles and it popped them loose or something.
Nah, I remember doing it per this forum. I am still running stock wheels and tires, I just did the leveling kit in front. I bought the rears too but never got around to it lol

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nah, I remember doing it per this forum. I am still running stock wheels and tires, I just did the leveling kit in front. I bought the rears too but never got around to it loL
SLACKER! Lol

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 516559
How do I tell if the intermediate (output) shaft from the diff is too worn to reuse? Can they be easily replaced? My driver's side axle has a little play but is still staying on the retainer clip, the passenger side however, has no retaining clip. The splines don't look terrible but clearly have some wear...

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it’s rounding the splines. When you replace them put some kind of waterproof synthetic grease on the splines to try and keep crap out. I’m going to try and find some way to put seals in them when I do mine. Maybe I can take them to a machine shop and have a small groove cut to install an o ring

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7