Front drive shaft problems. What do i do!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Hey everyone, I'm hoping i can get this solved soon. Here's my problem:

The other day i went to go through some light mud and i was in 2 wheel drive and i started to loose grip, so i went to put it in 4wd. The 4wd light came on and when i gave it some gas i heard a clunking noise coming from under the drivers seat. It sounded like a bad U joint. Later that day i got under there and i grabbed the front drive shaft and moved it up and down and to my surprise it moved a lot. At first i thought it was worn U joints at the transfer case. Well, today i pulled the drive shaft off and found the U joints have no play, it is actually that H flange thing. How can i go about fixing this?
drive_shaft.jpg

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
If you are asking how to change the set of u-joints in the head assembly (H joint), its no different than changing them on any other part of the drive shaft.

But the more I read in to it, it sounds like you are saying the head assembly is bad. Could you please clarify.

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
If you are asking how to change the set of u-joints in the head assembly (H joint), its no different than changing them on any other part of the drive shaft.

But the more I read in to it, it sounds like you are saying the head assembly is bad. Could you please clarify.

I know how to replace U joints, its the actual head assembly that went bad.

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Funny you should mention this....

http://www.ramforum.com/f77/front_driveshaft_rebuild-pic_heavy-23290/

if the pics don't show up you can find them here...for some reason the forum can't seem to keep them posted.

http://www.ramforum.com/members/okiespaniel-albums-front_driveshaft_rebuild.html

Awesome thread! I may try and rebuild it myself. The local shop said $180 starting point to do it! And i don't want to buy a new shaft for $310. How much did the whole thing cost you?

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
I got it now. Sorry about that. I was reading way too much into it. :waytogo:
No problem! Do it all the time.
Funny you should mention this....

http://www.ramforum.com/f77/front_driveshaft_rebuild-pic_heavy-23290/

if the pics don't show up you can find them here...for some reason the forum can't seem to keep them posted.

http://www.ramforum.com/members/okiespaniel-albums-front_driveshaft_rebuild.html

So if i get this: Precision 617 - Replacement Ball Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts
The seal and new u joints i could just find a shop with the right tools and have them press it all together?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't skimp out and get cheap parts!

Once you do this, you'll not want to do it again. Get quality grease-able Spicer parts!
(Just my opinion)

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Don't skimp out and get cheap parts!

Once you do this, you'll not want to do it again. Get quality grease-able Spicer parts!
(Just my opinion)

I would love to get good quality parts, but 1. I'm in school(For mechanics) and have no money(Spent it all on my tools, haha) and 2. There is only one good parts store in the area, and its still a drive. AND I hate going there because the guys there are A-Holes.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If only you could magically source these parts through some sort of inter-connecting network, a inter-web of sorts..

Sarcasm aside. You can likely get spicer parts shipped to your door for a similar amount as the local "A-hole shop".

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
If only you could magically source these parts through some sort of inter-connecting network, a inter-web of sorts..

Sarcasm aside. You can likely get spicer parts shipped to your door for a similar amount as the local "A-hole shop".

I honestly did think about ordering them. I'll do that then! The only reason i don't like going there is because i used to work there and i dated this girl that ended up being the shop owners daughter.. Its a long story, but you can put it together. haha.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I got most of my small stuff from Northern Drivetrain.

I don't know where you live but even in Farm country someone rebuilds driveshafts. Double Cardian joints ( the "h joint" mr soon to be mechanic) are common in ag stuff.
I ended up buying my u joints at the shop I got the ball pressed in at. It was as cheap as mail order but better than discount crap.

You'll note that I comment that spicer joints are no longer US made parts...but don't buy u joints based on price because you will regret it.

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
I got most of my small stuff from Northern Drivetrain.

I don't know where you live but even in Farm country someone rebuilds driveshafts. Double Cardian joints ( the "h joint" mr soon to be mechanic) are common in ag stuff.
I ended up buying my u joints at the shop I got the ball pressed in at. It was as cheap as mail order but better than discount crap.

You'll note that I comment that spicer joints are no longer US made parts...but don't buy u joints based on price because you will regret it.

Hey, I'm just calling it what the guy at the drivetrain place called it. I am 100% going to get the best quality parts i can afford, which will probably be Moog or Spicer. Its kind of hard to order parts on the internet without a card of some sort! Also, I'm going into high performance engines, not suspension, so I know only the basics when it comes to this stuff.

92greenlx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did it move on the yoke(ujoint area) or on the tcase or front diff? Front diff would be a pinion bearing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
canders13247

canders13247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Turns out the end that goes into the centering ball was completely screwed. New driveshaft it is. $320 from Oreillys rebuild with Spicer parts.