front end bounce

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLM5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an occasional issue when towing my travel trailer. It's 35 ft, about 8000 lbs. I am using a 10k/1000 e2 WDH. When I first set it up 2 years ago I did get on the scales. It has towed quite well.

The issue is on certain concrete highways - interstates usually - with frustrating expansion joints. I get a lot of bounce. It seems like the front end is bouncing. Changing speeds hasn't really helped. It was terrible for a section on I80 West of Des Moines. The rest of the trip was fine when the road surface was different / decent.

This seems to have gotten worse this year, so I'm wondering if either my bars are starting to bend a bit and the WDH needs to be readjusted to put more weight back up front, or if my front shocks are getting bad. It does seem like the bars are easier to put on. They don't look bent, but it could be a subtle change. Tongue height is correct, trailer is level. My truck just hit 40K, so I suppose the shock could be getting bad.

The last 2 trips we haven't had the dogs (250 lbs worth) with us and had less stuff in the trailer, so I know the load is a bit different. When I get a chance I will definitely be checking on a CAT scale again.

Any additional thoughts? Everything tows well on black top highways, but some of these concrete sections feel like they are made like a sawtooth.

Or is it just how some of these concrete roads are made? Before this year the only time I remember this bad of a ride was a 12 mile section on I29 south of Sioux City.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
250 pounds in the cab shouldn't make much difference, if any. Combined with a lighter trailer, though, and your load has certainly changed.

I'd try adjusting the bars a bit. Given that you are bouncing, you may have to shift a bit of weight forward given your current load. How's the level on the truck with the WDH bars in their current position?

How many miles on your truck? Have you inspected the front suspension? I'd look for a leaking shock.

OP
OP
RLM5150

RLM5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply. I have 40K on the truck now. I have not inspected the suspension, but will take a look tonight. The level on the truck looks good. I am getting new tires installed in a couple hours and the manager is a friend so we will inspect it then.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Bet you have to re adjust your hitch. You want your loaded steer weight to be very near your unloaded steer weight plus your drive axle should have more weight on it than your steer axle.

OP
OP
RLM5150

RLM5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everything looked good when we inspected last night. When I get some time I will check the weight distribution again. I will measure the front and do any necessary adjustments before getting back on the CAT scale. I expect I will need to add one or two washers to change the head angle.

It could also be partly due to the tires getting so bad before replacing them. I'm loving the new tires so far; night and day difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01