FRONT HITCH 2019 RAM BIGHORN KEEPING TOW HOOKS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking to see if anyone has installed a hitch on the front of their truck WITHOUT REMOVING TOW HOOKS. I have searched but couldn’t find if this is possible. I would like to install a front hitch and still retain my tow hooks. Why? I like the way they look. It will primarily be used for a cargo carrier. Any reason this would be a bad idea also? Will only be used on camping trips. Thanks Dennis

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
For use on roadways and highways? The main negative I can think is airbag deployment if there was an issue.

As for the front hitch, I will ask my Brother, he added one to his. I will see if he had to remove his hooks.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
My brother said no on he tow hooks. Gave them to a friend

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I called this business and they do not make a hitch for a Ram 1500. They do make them for the 2500 and 3500 series which still require you to remove your tow hooks.

Yes you have to take off the tow hooks to mount it but you put them back on at the end. I can send you a picture of my hitch on with the tow hooks connected.

OP
OP
D

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you have to take off the tow hooks to mount it but you put them back on at the end. I can send you a picture of my hitch on with the tow hooks connected.

Interesting but they say they don’t make one for my truck and never have so I’ll just keep looking. Thanks for the effort!

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l

I'm interested in seeing that. I just ordered the same torklift front receiver for my 2021 3500 6.4. I would like to keep the tow hooks too.

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Guess I can't see what you posted.
Don't know why not. Thanks for trying.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
For use on roadways and highways? The main negative I can think is airbag deployment if there was an issue
What does airbag deployment have to do with a front hitch?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
What does airbag deployment have to do with a front hitch?
Not the hitch as much as the cargo carrier. Depending on where FCA puts the sensors it could interfere with the deployment.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not the hitch as much as the cargo carrier. Depending on where FCA puts the sensors it could interfere with the deployment.
Vehicle air bags sensors use accelerometers monitoring multiple axes to determine if a vehicle is in a collision. Even with a cargo carrier on the front of a vehicle, if the measured impact is enough to deploy the airbags they will. Airbags are not deployed based on how much a vehicle is crushed in an accident, if they did the airbags wouldn't inflate in time to keep you from getting hurt. Part of why they say not to snow plow with certain trucks is the airbag system can't discern between an accident and hitting an unknown object with the blade.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Vehicle air bags sensors use accelerometers monitoring multiple axes to determine if a vehicle is in a collision. Even with a cargo carrier on the front of a vehicle, if the measured impact is enough to deploy the airbags they will. Airbags are not deployed based on how much a vehicle is crushed in an accident, if they did the airbags wouldn't inflate in time to keep you from getting hurt. Part of why they say not to snow plow with certain trucks is the airbag system can't discern between an accident and hitting an unknown object with the blade.
oky doky