Front left brake line snapped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhawker23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The front left brake hose snapped at the caliper and I’m looking for any do’s/don’t’s or advice on this.

This is a ‘01 1500 5.9 plow truck. My kids left a retractable leash in the yard and when I was snow plowing, it somehow got wrapped around the suspension and steering components and then the tire chains caught it and that was the end of the brakes. I was plowing downhill on a steep gravel driveway and it was an oh ——- moment.

I’ve watched multiple videos but that’s when everything goes right.

Since it has been many days since the line was broken, does that change how I bleed the brakes?

Pull the wheel
Remove old fitting from caliper and remove old hose
Replace hose
Fill reservoir
Bleed
Pray

I have a mighty vac, will that be helpful bleeding the brakes? I’ve never used it. Do I have anything else to worry about with the master cylinder being dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The front left brake hose snapped at the caliper and I’m looking for any do’s/don’t’s or advice on this.

This is a ‘01 1500 5.9 plow truck. My kids left a retractable leash in the yard and when I was snow plowing, it somehow got wrapped around the suspension and steering components and then the tire chains caught it and that was the end of the brakes. I was plowing downhill on a steep gravel driveway and it was an oh ——- moment.

I’ve watched multiple videos but that’s when everything goes right.

Since it has been many days since the line was broken, does that change how I bleed the brakes?

Pull the wheel
Remove old fitting from caliper and remove old hose
Replace hose
Fill reservoir
Bleed
Pray

I have a mighty vac, will that be helpful bleeding the brakes? I’ve never used it. Do I have anything else to worry about with the master cylinder being dry?

Sound like you got it right, its what i would do, a couple of things, the abs system the fluid through it is what i don't know a lot about, but should bleed out fine. I have a mighty vac too, used it a few times, my little issue with it is when you loosen the drain screw on the caliper i see bubbles in my container on the mighty vac, i know this is coming from the threads on the drain screw, the fix i want to put teflon on the threads but i just never did. I like the helper method better, if you have one of those, they pump you bleed, shouldnt have any issues just bleed real good.

Theres another method, coke bottle method, theres a couple on youtube, looks great,but i never tried that one, i might next time i do it.

OP
OP
J

Jhawker23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do I have to bleed all brakes or just the front left?

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do I have to bleed all brakes or just the front left?

Me i would only bleed that one, the fluid should not have been able to exit the other three. Now others might say to be safe do the others, or brake fluid absorbs moisture ( which it does), its really up to your, and how good of a vehicle it is, say if it was just an old extra beat around, might not matter. If its your baby and in great shape, may want to go the extra mile.

OP
OP
J

Jhawker23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s an old plow and farm truck. I was wondering what complications I may have since the line has been open. Would it not drain the mc?

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It Probably did, some, most mc are seperated front section and a rear section, do all your work, replace line, install pads, then fill mc with fluid,(part thats empty) then bleed/vacuum at bleed screw on caliper. Do not let mc get empty again, after it goes down close to bottom, continue to fill, bleed/vacuum again until all air is out of line, this may take several attempts.