Fuel/Brake System Flush -Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Opinions and thoughts desired —- took my 2020 RAM 1500DT into my dealer for 50K oil change and tire rotation today. E-torque , 5.7 HEMI, so I change oil/filter every 5k -7k depending on usage. They (the Dealer) have been real good and I trust them to do right. Today they recommend a fuel induction service and brake flush as preventive maintenance due to the mileage. I’ve seldom if ever have done that service to other vehicles I’ve owned (right or wrong) without any consequences. So, based on that, I told thanks but not today. However, this is my first RAM so Would like you more experienced and knowledgable folks opinions on the value and benefits, if any, to this recommended fuel and brake systems flush, regardless of who does the work. Thanks all.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Brake fluid change is an easy thing to do. Takes maybe 10 minutes if you have a helper, 15 if you do it solo. I do my vehicles every 3 years or so. Brake fluid draws moisture, lowering the boiling point, increasing stopping distances. It's one of those things that will never be a problem until it's a problem but I've never wished for a longer stopping distances or more brake fade.

Fuel system cleaning is more on the snake oil spectrum, IMO, unless there's carbon build up from lousy fuel or some other issue. I know some guys here like to pour mechanic in a bottle in every orifice on their truck, but use quality gas and oil and there's not much need for it.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Opinions and thoughts desired —- took my 2020 RAM 1500DT into my dealer for 50K oil change and tire rotation today. E-torque , 5.7 HEMI, so I change oil/filter every 5k -7k depending on usage. They (the Dealer) have been real good and I trust them to do right. Today they recommend a fuel induction service and brake flush as preventive maintenance due to the mileage. I’ve seldom if ever have done that service to other vehicles I’ve owned (right or wrong) without any consequences. So, based on that, I told thanks but not today. However, this is my first RAM so Would like you more experienced and knowledgable folks opinions on the value and benefits, if any, to this recommended fuel and brake systems flush, regardless of who does the work. Thanks all.
Save your $$ on fuel induction service that is just extra $$$ for the service dept, you would be $$ ahead to use a $6.00 bottle of Lucas injector cleaner once a month, for the break flush its not needed unless brake fluid is real dark or over 8 years old, even then it can still be good...

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
Typical dealer nonsense. As written just use toptier fuels so there's plenty of additives keeping system clean. And Brakes don't need that now. Handle that at a later service of Brakes. I usually do Brake fluid when I have to replace hoses etc. and open system anyway.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My last two trucks lasted me 35 years. I changed the oil when it called for it, and I put on new brake pads when the current ones got thin (which I think was a total of twice for both trucks). No fuel system/brake system flush, and I think I did a DIY quick coolant flush on my last one at about 80,000 miles. Never had to change bearings, brake lines, fuel filters, etc. Save your money and just take normal care of your vehicle.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
As stated above, brake fluid flush *should* be done around the 100k mark. I've bought plenty of trucks that had way more than that on the factory fluid, it's just one of those "it's a good thing to do" things. As for the fuel system flush, that's a typical dealer upcharge. Just go to the parts store or WalMart and grab a bottle of a name brand fuel system cleaner once or twice a year and throw it in right before you fill up. I use B12 Chemtool but Lucas makes a good one too.