Fuel filter change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I just replaced the 2 fuel filters on my 2017 Cummins for the second time since we bought the truck.
It went quite a bit faster this time. It took longer to drain the front filter than it did to actually change out the filter.
The rear one was still a PITA! There's almost no room to get your arm between the drive-line and the DPF to disconnect the electrical plug.
The other thing that bugs the crap out of me is that you always get a shower of diesel when the filter is removed.
I've tried removing the sensor after draining and got the shower when the sensor came off. I tried draining and removing the filter with the drain still on and still got the diesel shower.
Anybody figure out a better way because I'm not paying the dealer $400+ to do it.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Isn’t there a drain on that rear filter?

OP
OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You obviously didn't read my post. I did say I drained the rear filter first. It doesn't drain the filter completely so there is still a showers worth of fuel still inside the filter.

Stacey Power

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
I was just going to post asking the same thing?? There must be a way to do it without the mess!! Anybody have any ideas/tricks?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Anybody figure out a better way because I'm not paying the dealer $400+ to do it.
Use a gallon sized Zip-Loc freezer bag and unscrew the filter inside that. I don't even drain the fuel filter on my EcoDiesel and the bag catches it all.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Use a gallon sized Zip-Loc freezer bag and unscrew the filter inside that. I don't even drain the fuel filter on my EcoDiesel and the bag catches it all.
Good idea!

I just did both fuel filters on my 18 Cummins last week. I used a hose to drain what I could with the drain on the bottom, so it went into the pan w/o pouring on the driveshaft first. Then once I got the filter broke loose, I put my smallest oil drain pan between the drive shaft and the filter while unscrewing it the rest of the way. No mess on the driveway at all. And ice cream bucket would probably work too.

I didn't have any issue getting at the sensor wire plug. It's pretty wide open on mine.

Stacey Power

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Did mine yesterday! Let fuel drain from bottom, then started to remove filter, more fuel came out. So just went slowly and I did undo the filter into a gallon bag.....no mess!!!
Thanks guys!

OP
OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks, I'll give that a try in 15,000 miles. :favorites13:
I use the gallon baggie method when removing the oil filter and have never spilled a drop of oil.

vjjack04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'd like to tag onto this one....I am going to change my oil, oil filter, and fuel filter this week. What's a preferred oil, how many quarts, and then also preferred filters? Thanks for any assistance. (6.7 diesel)

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I'd like to tag onto this one....I am going to change my oil, oil filter, and fuel filter this week. What's a preferred oil, how many quarts, and then also preferred filters? Thanks for any assistance. (6.7 diesel)
It's a Cummins in a pickup, they're all 12 quarts or 3 gallons.
Personally I switched to Amsoil 5w40 because it was easy to get and is known as good oil.
Oil Filter is Mopar from Walmart. Fuel filter has to be Mopar from your cheapest source, they're not cheap but I've seen tear down tests of the cheap amazon chinese filters and they're not good.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD

Fuel system

Yours is a lil different than 4th gen, you're lucky that the rear is a cartridge system vs. the oil filter housing like ours.

The front, put on a longer drain hose that will reach a container on the ground. Open the drain "plug" and a small amount will drain out. Then crack the top and the vacuum will release and the canister will drain the majority.

For the 5th gens, the rear should be about the same. The 4th gens are a total PITA! The drain, crack and drain theory is the same, but trying to get something on that filter housing is the bear.

I use Fleetgard(Cummins) fuel filters vs. Mopar. I save about $60 on the filters themselves. I get them from one or the other of 2 Semi shops.
Front fuel filter "cartridge" MOPAR-68157291 Fleetgard-FS5300 (5th gen might have both with the same cartridge)
(4th gen)Rear Mopar-68197867 Fleetgard-FS20089

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
For oil filters my first choice is Donaldson DBL 7349, Fleetguard LF16035 and my last choice for oil is Mopar LF5083285AA one of the better places to buy air & fuel filters is Genos garage https://www.genosgarage.com/, do not use aftermarket fuel filter as they are c rap they do not use the 3 micron nanonet filter media to keep your HPCR pump from going to he ll and not void your warranty....

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What's a preferred oil, how many quarts, and then also preferred filters?
Cummins recommends the Valvoline Premium Blue and for your '22 it comes in 5W-40 which can be ran year round even in below 0°F temps. If I remember correctly Ram recommends T6
You can't go wrong with any of the big name diesel oils, Rotella T6, Amsoil, or Mobil Delvac either. With the supply chain issues nowadays, watch for what's available and pick up 3 gallons even if your next oil change is months away.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thought the 5th Gens were using 10w-30?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Thought the 5th Gens were using 10w-30?
The owner's manual specs 10W-30 but to switch to a full synthetic 5W-40 when the weather drops below 0°F. The previous generation Cummins also stated to use synthetic 5W-40 when the outside temperature drops below 0°F. I've read quite a few owners just running the full synthetic 5W-40 year round. Also read people living in warm climates and hot shot driver's still running 15W-40 in the latest gen Cummins.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Owners have been using 5w40 full synthetic year round in the 6.7 since 2007, if you use 5w40 make sure is not semi synthetic or synthetic blend... My self I would not recommend using 15w40 in the newer 6.7 with hydraulic lifters even though I have read of a few who do...

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I run 5w-40 Valvoline year round in Commiefornia. Thinking of running 15w-40 during the summer or hot months than switch back for the colder months.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The other thing that bugs the crap out of me is that you always get a shower of diesel when the filter is removed.
I've tried removing the sensor after draining and got the shower when the sensor came off. I tried draining and removing the filter with the drain still on and still got the diesel shower.
I think and this comes after several rear fuel filter changes, the diesel shower does not come from the filter but from residual pressure in the fuel system. When the filter canister is loosened, it exposes the ball-lock in the filter housing allowing fuel to shower down until the filter is threaded far enough out to allow the ball to seat.

Yep, the gallon zip-lock is likely the best option.

vjjack04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hey guys, all good info. I found on my '22 it was easy to pull the air tube that comes from the filter box area. Was able to get in there to the filter, easier.

Last edited: