Fuel filter change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The filters for the fuel have changed between the Gen4 and Gen5 trucks. I assumed they would be the same. Now I have to go out and buy new filters as I had some in stock for my Gen4 Ram.

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So, I purchased a filter set off of Amazon and at first review it appeared the seller was the Mopar store. Everything was packaged perfectly. Replaced the water separator filter first, no issues, then the fuel filter. Primed a number of times and nothing, no start. I pulled the cap off of the fuel filter and no fuel. Thinking what I read so many times about the bogus parts I swapped back the old filter and water separator, primed and started no problem. All markings look perfect I really don't think they're counterfeit just a failed filter. What could really be bad with a filter that it wouldn't allow fuel to pass?
The event also tripped a code for low fuel pressure. After more review the parts were shipped through a parts wholesaler.

OP
OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So, I purchased a filter set off of Amazon and at first review it appeared the seller was the Mopar store. Everything was packaged perfectly. Replaced the water separator filter first, no issues, then the fuel filter. Primed a number of times and nothing, no start. I pulled the cap off of the fuel filter and no fuel. Thinking what I read so many times about the bogus parts I swapped back the old filter and water separator, primed and started no problem. All markings look perfect I really don't think they're counterfeit just a failed filter. What could really be bad with a filter that it wouldn't allow fuel to pass?
The event also tripped a code for low fuel pressure. After more review the parts were shipped through a parts wholesaler.
Yes they are chinese knock-offs. Why would you order that stuff from amazon after reading about so many people having problems?
It's just not worth the risk to save a few $$.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
This is from my owners manual: {The engine mounted filter housing is equipped with a No-Filter-No-Run (NFNR) feature. Engine will not run if:  No filter is installed.  Inferior/Non-approved filter is used. Use of OEM filter is required to ensure vehicle will run.} Ya might fool the rear fuel filter housing with after market but not the front one... In plain words if ya don't use a Mopar or Fleetguard fuel filter under the hood your SOL...

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
There's a few other threads I posted about this with pics of what to look for. The issue I've found personally and with other members here is the rear water separator that has a probe in the center of the opening that is not high enough to open the check ball that is in the housing. It will not allow fuel to get to the secondary filter on the engine.
I'll look for the threads if I can find them and post the links.

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks for sharing the info. I'll check the depth of the valve for the OE to the replacement filter. I bought filters from the dealership and if you compare the Amazon units the packaging and labeling looks identical. I'll look closer and see if I can find differences.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Here are two pics . Top is OE Mopar. Bottom is the fake. Note the appearance in the Recycle symbol. Along with the part number font is off. Lastly the OE top crimp ring is painted, the fake is bare steel.

Screenshot_20231210_205930_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231210_205955_Chrome.jpg

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
You are absolutely spot on, the poppet in the filter is ~ .180 deeper than the known Mopar filter. I don't know if that validates it's a bogus filter but it sure is defective. The only details other than the poppet are labeling on the filter and the box doesn't have a mfg date.

Attachments

• IMG_8933.JPG
    IMG_8933.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8937.JPG
    IMG_8937.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8938.JPG
    IMG_8938.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 5

KC15842

Reaction score