Fuel gauge calibration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raxxter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last weekend I replaced the fuel pump/level unit in my 05 3500. I had to fill it for the first time this morning and now the fuel gauge only reads ¾ full. It’s always been fairly accurate up until now. I tried resetting the gauges by holding the odometer/trip button in while turning the ignition to on and letting the cluster go through the reset cycle. The gauge still reads ¾ full.

Is there some other way to calibrate/reset the gauge, or should I take back the pump unit? It’s an aftermarket (Precision brand) unit.

The truck’s a 5.7L Hemi, 2WD, 4DR, DRW, with the 35 gallon tank.

Thanks!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like you either got a bad one or it might be setup for one of the different size tanks (26 & 34 were also available that year).

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If you have AlphaOBD you can reset it but, if this is actually the correct pump and float for that tank it should be reading correctly. I would be inclined to get a replacement pump.

OP
OP
raxxter

raxxter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, everyone.

Sounds like I’m better off getting another pump.

I did specify I had the 35 gallon tank, maybe I was given the wrong one.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you have AlphaOBD you can reset it but, if this is actually the correct pump and float for that tank it should be reading correctly. I would be inclined to get a replacement pump.
Not in this case, 2005 is PCI bus; AOBD isn't compatible.
Thanks, everyone.

Possible, especially if it was a parts chain store.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thanks, everyone.

Check your parts numbers, the 34 and 35 gallon pumps are not the same.

Precision Fuel Pump Module Assembly - A30466

Part #: A30466 Line: PFP

Fits 2005 Ram 3500
$238.99 Each
Fuel Pump Module Assembly With 34 Gallon Tank

This product has restrictions regarding its warranty

Terminal Type: Blade

Connector Gender: Female

Connector Shape: Oval

Precision Fuel Pump Module Assembly - A30467

Part #: A30467 Line: PFP

Fits 2005 Ram 3500 $182.99 Each

Deliver by Tue, May 23

FREE Next Day Eligible

Fuel Pump Module Assembly With 35 Gallon Tank

This product has restrictions regarding its warranty

Terminal Type: Blade

Connector Gender: Female

Connector Shape: Oval

OP
OP
raxxter

raxxter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll double check the numbers when I get home, but price-wise, I got the correct 35 gallon tank unit.
If it is the correct one, from what I understand, the fuel gauge should read correctly. So, I'll exchange it for a different unit, it that's the case.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You are dead on. AOBD only goes back to 2006.:waytogo:
Not exactly. AOBD is CAN bus compatible only. So yes, that is 2006 in trucks. For the LX platform (in this case Magnum/300), that is very early 2005 MY. Considering the sheer volume and variety of platforms and years it is compatible with (as far back as 1992 with some Alfa Romeos) I tend to stick with what is CAN and not CAN overall.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Not exactly. AOBD is CAN bus compatible only. So yes, that is 2006 in trucks. For the LX platform (in this case Magnum/300), that is very early 2005 MY. Considering the sheer volume and variety of platforms and years it is compatible with (as far back as 1992 with some Alfa Romeos) I tend to stick with what is CAN and not CAN overall.
I did not know Can Bus technology went that far back, but then again, after growing up in Europe, I wouldn't own an Alpha Romeo product on a bet. They were the rough equivalent and rank right up there with Russian made cars like Lada and British Leyland/Austin Morris products for lousy reliability.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I did not know Can Bus technology went that far back, but then again, after growing up in Europe, I wouldn't own an Alpha Romeo product on a bet. They were the rough equivalent and rank right up there with Russian made cars like Lada and British Leyland/Austin Morris products for lousy reliability.
You ain't lying. Every Alfa I've had the misfortune to encounter was an electrical nightmare. Made my uncle's TR4 so much more appealing (and Triumph's, like many British roadsters, were known for electrical issues).

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
It could be the float rod is bent, if you bent it down ,maybe would fix it, but then how much is a 1/4 of a stroke and would E still be correct
Would still have to take it out.
If you still have the old one ,compare the resistance on the coil with a good meter to see if they read the same with float up and down. If the reading when at top, them the gauge will be off.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So Op, was it the correct fuel pump and defective or the one for the other tank?

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4