Fuel gauge reading backwards??????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I'm guessing that I hurt a wire somewhere under the dash when I lifted the dashboard and dropped the steering column to check the heater core. I know that I had about 1/8 of a tank of gas when I disconnected the battery and did the heater core check. I got it all back together and started the truck (2001 1500 Off-Road 4X4) and everything was fine except I watched the gas gauge slowly move to full. I looked for loose or broken wires under the dash, around the steering column, etc. finding no evidence of damage. I drove the truck to town and filled it up and now the gauge reads empty(!) and I have the low gas light and alarm. So the gauge is totally backwards. Maybe I lost a ground connection? I wonder if I pulled the copper conductor apart inside of a wire so I can't see the open circuit, but I don't know which wire is which, going to the fuel gauge. I imagine I will be pulling the gauge cluster to see the back of it next. Any ideas anyone? Ever seen this before? No, I'm not drunk or on drugs---really!