Fuel sensor failed ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Is it easier to drop the tank or lift the bed? I am debating on doing this myself and would like to figure out a route to go.

1 guy can drop an empty tank by himself using a floor jack,gonna take a hoist or overhead crane or a whole bunch of buddies to lift the bed and slide it back,just my 02,lol

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1 guy can drop an empty tank by himself using a floor jack,gonna take a hoist or overhead crane or a whole bunch of buddies to lift the bed and slide it back,just my 02,lol

This..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

Confirmed. :dogpile: having a lifted truck makes it easy. No jacking involved.

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine threw this code last weekend right around the 1/2 tank mark. The gauge dropped to 0 but returned to full after I filled the tank. I reset the code and have been driving this week just fine, however I’m approaching 1/2 tank. I suspect I’m going to get the same code again shortly.

Looks like fixing it isn’t all that bad if you can drop an empty tank.

vegaskiller73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine threw this code last weekend right around the 1/2 tank mark. The gauge dropped to 0 but returned to full after I filled the tank. I reset the code and have been driving this week just fine, however I’m approaching 1/2 tank. I suspect I’m going to get the same code again shortly.

Looks like fixing it isn’t all that bad if you can drop an empty tank.

I was wondering if I filled up if it would go away. Mine also was about 1/2 tank. I don't normally fill completely up, so I wonder if 1/2 tank fills is what either causes the issue or possibly accelerates it. My truck has 46,593 miles.
Some other posts have indicated Techron helps keep it clean, but I mostly use Chevron w/ Techron gas.

I helped my son change his fuel pump assembly out in his 02 Dakota, so I know I can do mine, but it is under extended warranty. So to the shop it goes. I sure don't want to wrestle with a gas tank again.

vegaskiller73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I added 9 or so gallons, which filled the tank up. Gauge works, no "fuel low" indication on dash or gas pump icon.
Service light did stay on a couple days, but today it went off.
Still taking it in to get changed.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can wait if you want. It will get worst eventually. Mine lasted months after the 1st episode. It’s a slow dance with that needle going up and down at first until it starts happening more frequently before it’ll finally die in full. So you have time to prep and decide if you want to tackle it yourself or let a shop or dealer do the work. Get a new fuel pump and be done with it when ready.

vegaskiller73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can wait if you want. It will get worst eventually. Mine lasted months after the 1st episode. It’s a slow dance with that needle going up and down at first until it starts happening more frequently before it’ll finally die in full. So you have time to prep and decide if you want to tackle it yourself or let a shop or dealer do the work. Get a new fuel pump and be done with it when ready.

It's under warranty, and I have done this exercise on my son's 02 Dakota. It's not hard, but without the right tools and lifts, it is a PitA. It being under warranty, the dealership can do it. If it wasn't under warranty, I would definitely do it myself. It would be easier than my son's Dakota, because the Ram sits so much higher.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is a slightly older thread, but i ran across this video from a mechanic i watch often, wondering if anyone has tried it. I have the exact same code, on a Subaru forester, i've diagnosed it to a malfunctioning sub fuel level sensor. Instead of buying it right away i may try this just to see if it works. I won't know anything for month or so.

I'm not usually a believer in bottle fixes but this guy is pretty good. Worth a few dollars to try.

Matt1983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the same issue, 99,000km
Fuel sensor light on, guage drops, and eco mode on 5.7 doesn’t work anymore. Engine light on. Called service at dealer, they said it wasn’t covered under power train warranty.. anywhere I can bring this to a higher level as we all now know this is a known issue ? Thanks

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been driving like this for at least a year now my gauge never goes crazy and after I burn about a 1/4 tank cel light turns off so I check it with my tuner to make sure it’s the same code every now and then but it’s on the back burner for now

lgj8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Called the dealer today, they said the repair is not covered under the powertrain warranty, and i'm looking at $1200 bill because they have to drop the fuel tank. i escaped the repair of doing the exhaust manifold bolts a few months ago (have a new passenger side head, along with all bolts and gaskets on both sides as a result, all paid by the dealer), but now comes this, ******** it. i'll see if i can put my hands on those wires at the back of the tank, and hopefully touch something that could fix this, worst case i can shut down the stupid cel with Hptuners for the time being while i figure something different, either i grab vacation time to do this myself, or pay my local shop to do it for less money than the dealer, i can't pay the stealer $1200 to replace a $100 part, i sold my JKU due to a similar situation, and here i'm again, $1000+ on repairs to install the same damn piece of chit factory part that could fall apart again in 20-30k miles.

Do we know if there are better parts in the aftermaket? i don't mind forced upgrades if i'm paying for something that will last.
I've got the same problem with fuel level sensor on my 2015 Dodge Ram 5.7. Replacing the sensor is costly $1200-$1600. Instead of dropping the fuel tank or removing the bed, I'm thing about cutting an access hole in the bed and then covering it with a plate when the work is done. Thoughts from the forum? Larry

lgj8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got the same problem with fuel level sensor on my 2015 Dodge Ram 5.7. Replacing the sensor is costly $1200-$1600. Instead of dropping the fuel tank or removing the bed, I'm thing about cutting an access hole in the bed and then covering it with a plate when the work is done. Thoughts from the forum? Larry