Full cat back vs. muffler only--what are the benefits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Can anybody explain the extra benefits to redoing exhaust with an entire cat back system, as opposed to just replacing the muffler with something that has more flow and sounds cooler?

I eventually will be installing shorty headers in this truck, if that changes anybody's advice.

I'm trying to weigh my options and I'm really on the fence. Might just be a matter of how much I want to spend, $150-250 for muffler vs. $700-1,200 for full cat back.

My truck is only 7 months old, and I'm having a tough time wondering whether it's worth it to replace all the pipes all the way to the cat and all, but I don't want to go and get a new muffler and then regret it and do the whole darn cat back thing in a year.

My ram has the dual exhaust that comes through the rear bumper.

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you had the single pipe config I'd say yeah, it's worth spending extra on a cat back dual system as that is what I did w/ zero regrets. That said, w/ the OEM dual exhaust... I can't see any tangible performance gain to be had by changing it out for an aftermarket set-up. I'd just do the muffler swap leavng the resonators in place to limit cabin drone.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Factory single exit or factory duals... As a daily driver and a play truck there will never be a difference noticed if you just replace the muffler. You already have stainless pipes on your truck. the only difference may be the quality in the Bends.

JMO

Save you money for other mods. Do mufflers only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Even with the headers, the factory dual exhaust will do well. It's good quality, the bends may be a bit crinkly compared to a mandrel bent system but that won't matter much at the power factor a stock engine will put out.

The biggest improvements with an aftermarket cat back over a factory dual is the crossover pipe and freer flowing mufflers. You can add those easily enough for a lot less than the cost of a full catback.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you had the single pipe config I'd say yeah, it's worth spending extra on a cat back dual system as that is what I did w/ zero regrets. That said, w/ the OEM dual exhaust... I can't see any tangible performance gain to be had by changing it out for an aftermarket set-up. I'd just do the muffler swap leavng the resonators in place to limit cabin drone.

Factory single exit or factory duals... As a daily driver and a play truck there will never be a difference noticed if you just replace the muffler. You already have stainless pipes on your truck. the only difference may be the quality in the Bends.

Save you money for other mods. Do mufflers only

Even with the headers, the factory dual exhaust will do well. It's good quality, the bends may be a bit crinkly compared to a mandrel bent system but that won't matter much at the power factor a stock engine will put out.

The biggest improvements with an aftermarket cat back over a factory dual is the crossover pipe and freer flowing mufflers. You can add those easily enough for a lot less than the cost of a full catback.

Just swap the muffler & keep the factory duals. There is no power difference for the average truck in changing the piping

Thanks guys. That's what I figured. Are there any downsides to using a bolt on muffler that doesn't require welding? A few others showed me a handful that come ready to just be swapped out with OEM without any welding (e.g., Flowmaster Outlaw, etc), because they come prefab with the right fit? Any downsides to this, compared to buying other ones and having them cut and welding back on by a shop?

If there is no downsides, is the install as easy as it sounds?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The only downsides are 1) cheap clamps, 2) good clamps require the pipe to be belled to work, 3) most aftermarket mufflers are shorter than the OEM ones so a small length of pipe is needed to make up the length, and, 4) eventually you will be back under the truck tightening the clamps no matter how good they are.

What I've done is clamp in a muffler to make sure I liked how it sounded and, if I decided to go with another one, it was easy to remove.

If I decided to keep it (them) then I'd weld them in.

BIGMIKE27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. That's what I figured. Are there any downsides to using a bolt on muffler that doesn't require welding? A few others showed me a handful that come ready to just be swapped out with OEM without any welding (e.g., Flowmaster Outlaw, etc), because they come prefab with the right fit? Any downsides to this, compared to buying other ones and having them cut and welding back on by a shop?

If there is no downsides, is the install as easy as it sounds?
I have the carven competitor series with the 5inch black tips. Awesome sound sound and easy bolt on. I have had it for a year now and I love it. You will need a hand when lining up your tail pipes in the bumper cutouts. I had my wife eye ball it to best fit then I finished final adjustments with the clamp on exhuast tips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok thanks guys. From the sound of it, I can tell I would get irritated by the bolt on types. I think I'm going to do what I did with my last truck and just take it to a shop and have a Flowmaster or Magnaflow or the like welded on.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I did the Mufflex bolt in muffler with their 5" tips also. Loved it!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A muffler kit is the way to go unless you want ABSOLUTELY NO drone. Then the best option is a Corsa catback. Otherwise I highly recommend you look at the Carven muffler kits and if you want the optional 5" tips in polished or black. Muffler delete most likely wont sound well after headers and the magnaflow mufflers are often too tame. The Flowmaster is a lower quality option of all the mentioned ones so far.

check out some of our options here
https://gotexhaust.com/c-1183874-ram-owners-preferred-products.html

You can use promo code CARVEN10 for a discount and FREE shipping in the US!

Message me if you have any questions or need a quote on anything.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Flowmaster Outlaw direct replacement muffler. No worrying about rusting or breaking welds.
PLUS,.......it sounds killer!

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A muffler kit is the way to go unless you want ABSOLUTELY NO drone. Then the best option is a Corsa catback. Otherwise I highly recommend you look at the Carven muffler kits and if you want the optional 5" tips in polished or black. Muffler delete most likely wont sound well after headers and the magnaflow mufflers are often too tame. The Flowmaster is a lower quality option of all the mentioned ones so far.
check out some of our options here
https://gotexhaust.com/c-1183874-ram-owners-preferred-products.html
You can use promo code CARVEN10 for a discount and FREE shipping in the US!
Message me if you have any questions or need a quote on anything.

Nick's the man. I've ordered from him and I will do so in the future.
He's right about the Corsa system too. It's expensive, but it is a top notch product. If I was doing the cat back, I would do the Corsa.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nick's the man. I've ordered from him and I will do so in the future.
He's right about the Corsa system too. It's expensive, but it is a top notch product. If I was doing the cat back, I would do the Corsa.

Thank you!!

Corsa is worth its big price tag if you want a catback. My next catback option would be Borla but like I said a muffler kit will be just fine. Carven is one of the higher quality muffler kits, and if you want something a little tamer the Solo Mach 40 kit is awesome as well!

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had a borla pro xs muffler installed on my sport a month ago. Love the sound and quality of this exhaust. Nice low rumble and no drone while cruising.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Thank you!!

Corsa is worth its big price tag if you want a catback. My next catback option would be Borla but like I said a muffler kit will be just fine. Carven is one of the higher quality muffler kits, and if you want something a little tamer the Solo Mach 40 kit is awesome as well!
Is it possible to swap muffler from Borla to Corsa or vice-versa with either cat back systems?
Say you bought a Borla cat back but wanted to try the Corsa muffler later on without welding in.
Just curious if the mufflers were same length if you could swap out with no issues.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Only real benefit to a full catback system is that you are getting all new piping and most come with upgraded 5" Tips. There are so many bolt on muffler kits and bolt on 5" tip options now though at half the price that the catback kits are starting to become less popular. Mufflex and Carven both make great bolt on muffler options. Carven, and Moe's also offer bolt on 5" tips to complete the package for both looks and sound.

I would recommend sticking to a bolt on muffler instead of having 1 welded on though. Its just nice to know that you can always go back to stock if needed, and I trust the clamps more than I trust the weld quality at most exhaust shops.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it possible to swap muffler from Borla to Corsa or vice-versa with either cat back systems?
Say you bought a Borla cat back but wanted to try the Corsa muffler later on without welding in.
Just curious if the mufflers were same length if you could swap out with no issues.

You can not buy a Corsa muffler, they offer Cat backs only. So you can not go from borla to Corsa via muffler only. If you had Corsa and wanted to swap mufflers it MIGHT be possible to find a borla muffler with the same dimensions and make it work.

I also recommend not to weld the exhaust. The clamps that are provided with the higher quality kits like Carven, Borla and Corsa are very good and if your like me, your truck may have a few different exhaust setups over the years while you own it. Also if/when you sell or trade it in you can pull it off and go back to stock. Then you call sell your aftermarket setup to get some mod funds for the next one!

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
You can not buy a Corsa muffler, they offer Cat backs only. So you can not go from borla to Corsa via muffler only. If you had Corsa and wanted to swap mufflers it MIGHT be possible to find a borla muffler with the same dimensions and make it work.

I also recommend not to weld the exhaust. The clamps that are provided with the higher quality kits like Carven, Borla and Corsa are very good and if your like me, your truck may have a few different exhaust setups over the years while you own it. Also if/when you sell or trade it in you can pull it off and go back to stock. Then you call sell your aftermarket setup to get some mod funds for the next one!

That is a strange 1, anyone beside Corsa that does not sell muffler only?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is a strange 1, anyone beside Corsa that does not sell muffler only?
I believe just then and the reason is because they only build guaranteed NO drone systems. You need to tune the muffler to the rest of the system. There is a huge amount of technology in their systems. They are not just a muffler with some packing. I highly recommend you check out the corsa RSC tech.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk