Full Catch Can --> A Lot of "Blow by"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Handy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 PW and there is a breather tube from the left front of the engine that runs directly into the intake tube just prior to the valve body. If the PCV is internal, and dumps the vented gasses back into the engine itself, why is this breather there, and why is it on the "up stream" or the "suction" side of the valve body. It would make sense to me to place a catch can inline between the engine vent nipple and the air intake hose.

Oh and I looked all over the engine trying to find the PCV now I know why I could not find one.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The hose that goes to the intake tube is the breather inlet. It allows fresh air to enter the crank case.

Al Handy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK thanks^^^^^^ Just did not make sense to me since it is so close to the valve body

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the little cap on my drain. Do you? I ask because my little cap is a PITA to get off. If I can run without that cap on and not cause in adverse effect, I'll drain it way more often.

do you mean the petcock on the bottom to drain?

yes mine has that i usually take a coffee cup down below and flip the valve to drain it

OP
OP
KahneFan

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
do you mean the petcock on the bottom to drain?

yes mine has that i usually take a coffee cup down below and flip the valve to drain it

See the little black cap on the end of my drain valve? That thing is a PAIN to get off.

20181204_093401.jpg

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like my BT...just unscrew it, dump it, clean it, screw it back on!

TXCOMT

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
I'd love to see some parts links added to this thread! Which one seems to be the best?

I doubt there are any better or worse ones out there. The design/concept is very simple, just catching the oil out of the PCV circuit. I have the Billet Technology one, Nick at Got Exhaust sells others, and I am sure there are others (E-BAY?). Some have drain valves, mine does not, others you just unscrew the can to drain.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
See the little black cap on the end of my drain valve? That thing is a PAIN to get off.

View attachment 156743

Stick a hose on the fitting and run it under the truck.With the right "L" shaped bracket your Moroso can should bolt to the rad or if your hoses are long enough to a fender bolt.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as draining the UPR catch can goes, you can unscrew the bottom while in its easy to reach location at the front of the engine or you can go for the optional drain kit that includes a valve and hose.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

View attachment 156743
That is ONE big horn in your Bighorn. I thought of putting one in my truck just to scare the crap out of the jackasses texting while driving under the speed limit in the left lane....:D

OP
OP
KahneFan

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is ONE big horn in your Bighorn. I thought of putting one in my truck just to scare the crap out of the jackasses texting while driving under the speed limit in the left lane....:D

I had to have the Hemi-tick fixed, so I moved the horn to my bed... annnd added another horn :D

20190120_200005.jpg

500rider86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I feel like most of the stuff a catch can catches will burn off. I know there’s oil but a lot of it looks like water too. And doesn’t the catch can condense the vapor in the line? If so maybe it would be more vapor form when it goes back to the engine and burn off. I just don’t see why capturing it is really that beneficial...

That being said that cup was full and nasty looking.

Anyone with a catch can notice the throttle body staying cleaner?

Last edited:

500rider86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Keep staying on the fence with catch cans. I read somewhere that the reason they collect so much oil is only because they end up condensing the vapor which causes the oil to come out of it. Normally it would stay in the vapor form and just be burned by the engine. Not sure which way to go. 125k miles on my truck and it seems to be okay without one so far.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You guys haven't seen Blow By until you've spent some time with my KTM 990 Super Duke. I'm just guessing, but I'll bet that thing would fill a catch can every 400 miles. Come to think of it, maybe I out to figure a way to fit a catch can on that thing. That bike goes thru a quart of oil every 2000 miles. But it runs great! It makes ticking noises when I first start it up. I don't care. I'll just ride it until it goes bang.

For a big ol V8, my truck produces very little blow by, if you ask me. It's a very tight engine, as I suspect all of them are.