Full Catch Can --> A Lot of "Blow by"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually just picked one up. The Ram has just over 15k miles so a little build up for sure, but I feel confident it’s early enough that Itl really makes difference in the long run.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just installed mine from my 2017 yesterday at 97kms. Engine should stay pretty clean.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yup...best if you start using the can as close to new as possible.

You can always clean out deposits in the top end with some SeaFoam cleaner.

Kong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys i read this all the time. For no other reason that to learn for others. I have a 2013 RAM with the 5.7 HEMI in it and i purchased it new. Form the beginning i read about these catch cans but when i inquired the dealer said it would void my warranty. For that reason i backed off. But i keep seeing posts about the use of the cans and it seems to me they are a good idea. long past warranty but i will keep the truck until the tires fall off i try hard to maintain it. MY question id it to late to install a can now? I have 108K on the thing. i use the cleaner suggested here BG-44 something like that at oil changes and every now and again Sea Foam when it goes on sale. all you opinions are welcome as to the purchase at this late date is still worth it

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't see how it wouldn't help, catching any oil going forward. I put mine on at about 150km brand new truck. I am amazed at the amount of oil the catch can has got since then. Makes me feel happy it didn't go get burnt through the intake if nothing else.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys i read this all the time. For no other reason that to learn for others. I have a 2013 RAM with the 5.7 HEMI in it and i purchased it new. Form the beginning i read about these catch cans but when i inquired the dealer said it would void my warranty. For that reason i backed off. But i keep seeing posts about the use of the cans and it seems to me they are a good idea. long past warranty but i will keep the truck until the tires fall off i try hard to maintain it. MY question id it to late to install a can now? I have 108K on the thing. i use the cleaner suggested here BG-44 something like that at oil changes and every now and again Sea Foam when it goes on sale. all you opinions are welcome as to the purchase at this late date is still worth it

It’s is NOT too late. It will help prevent any additional build up. Also if you keep using cleaners to help remove existing build up while running a CC things should improve. It’s a fairly inexpensive items. Message me and I can quote you a setup with a discount!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do I need a catch can on my 6.4 Ram 2500?

I guess I had better add one to the 5.7 Challenger for sure.

Kong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nick i would be interested yes. But I'm old school and can't figure out how to message you here! Got to your site but then got lost LOL

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do I need a catch can on my 6.4 Ram 2500?

I guess I had better add one to the 5.7 Challenger for sure.

6.4 has internal Pcv so you can’t install one on it but the challenger 5.7 can. We got the, for that application as well. Message me for a quote if interested

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nick i would be interested yes. But I'm old school and can't figure out how to message you here! Got to your site but then got lost LOL

I’ll message you

OP
OP
KahneFan

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

They are WAY easy to put on/off. If warranty was ever needed, you could always yank it back off.

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I empty my catch can every 5K or so miles and it's usually full. I posted this on a FB page and people said that means I have a lot of "blow by". 1) I have no idea what that means. 2) I have no idea if it's a bad thing.

Anyone able to shed light on this?

View attachment 152391

i empty every 1500 miles or so Honestly i think every 5k is too long...

every 1500 miles it is about .5" in my can or so takes a whole 3 seconds to empty so not a big deal i flip the lever and drain into a cup... usually blackish oil but once now frothy stuff.

if that is 5k miles doesnt seem excessive to me

OP
OP
KahneFan

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i empty every 1500 miles or so Honestly i think every 5k is too long...

every 1500 miles it is about .5" in my can or so takes a whole 3 seconds to empty so not a big deal i flip the lever and drain into a cup... usually blackish oil but once now frothy stuff.

if that is 5k miles doesnt seem excessive to me

I have the little cap on my drain. Do you? I ask because my little cap is a PITA to get off. If I can run without that cap on and not cause in adverse effect, I'll drain it way more often.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what exactly is the benefit from this? A cleaner intake? Will I even notice a difference?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So what exactly is the benefit from this? A cleaner intake? Will I even notice a difference?

Just go back to page 1 and you'll see what catch can users have been posting.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Definitely check out the pics in this thread. the oil caught in the catch can would normally go in your intake and build up on your intake and valves, as well as send those hot oil vapors back into your combustion chamber. This all translate to lost performance and mpg over time. Also cleaner, cooler air in you combustion chamber is always a good thing.

Its a long term preventative for the most part. Let me know if you need any other info or a quote

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Good to go. Plenty of charcoal for my outdoor grills. Gas for my Toro, fridge stocked. Might have to make a booze run.lol. If we get a sever ice storm, I am expecting to loose power. No generator though. I do have a gas fireplace for plenty of heat though.

Did you get the Fuel injected ariens ?
Not trying to hijack the thread but you should get a generator and convert it to tri-fuel. I did that so it runs off natural gas from the house.
http://www.uscarburetion.com/tri-fuel_kits.htm

Works great

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
:mad:Would LOVE to have a catch can but I got an 07 and from what I see the internal pvc valve puts a kabosh on it.