Full Catch Can --> A Lot of "Blow by"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Murphy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Deleted
Engine
Deleted
You guys haven't seen Blow By until you've spent some time with my KTM 990 Super Duke. I'm just guessing, but I'll bet that thing would fill a catch can every 400 miles. Come to think of it, maybe I out to figure a way to fit a catch can on that thing. That bike goes thru a quart of oil every 2000 miles. But it runs great! It makes ticking noises when I first start it up. I don't care. I'll just ride it until it goes bang.

For a big ol V8, my truck produces very little blow by, if you ask me. It's a very tight engine, as I suspect all of them are.

Haha, I have seen some clouds come out of the oil cap.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I feel like most of the stuff a catch can catches will burn off. I know there’s oil but a lot of it looks like water too. And doesn’t the catch can condense the vapor in the line? If so maybe it would be more vapor form when it goes back to the engine and burn off. I just don’t see why capturing it is really that beneficial...

That being said that cup was full and nasty looking.

Anyone with a catch can notice the throttle body staying cleaner?

Throttle body won’t see a difference since the PCV plumbing is after the throttle body. Which is were a catch can would be installed.

Catch cans do serve a purpose but really for the most part, your average daily driver will live a long healthy life regardless wether it has one or not. Still nice to have though. They are really most beneficial with when you get into the performance world, especially boosted applications.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Throttle body won’t see a difference since the PCV plumbing is after the throttle body. Which is were a catch can would be installed.

Catch cans do serve a purpose but really for the most part, your average daily driver will live a long healthy life regardless wether it has one or not. Still nice to have though. They are really most beneficial with when you get into the performance world, especially boosted applications.

Catch can gets installed before the throttle body. Actually keeps throttle body real clean. Before I installed my catch can my throttle body was dirty a lot. Now not so much. Works very well and if you plan on keeping truck for a while it’s best to get one.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Catch can gets installed before the throttle body. Actually keeps throttle body real clean. Before I installed my catch can my throttle body was dirty a lot. Now not so much. Works very well and if you plan on keeping truck for a while it’s best to get one.
No they don’t, if it’s installed before the throttle body it’s plumbed into the breather system which is not where they are meant to be. They are meant for the PCV system which uses manifold vacuum to operate, which is after the throttle body. It will help keep the intake tract clean but not the throttle body. Check the installations for any of the most popular ones like moroso or billet technologies.

You can still have one installed through the breather but that’s not where you’re going to get all the blow by picked up. The only time you would get much blow by there is during WOT and even then it’s very little.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I don’t know. Mine keeps my throttle body clean as a whistle. Got a billet catch can.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I guess I don’t know. Mine keeps my throttle body clean as a whistle. Got a billet catch can.

It’s likely just a by product of a clean intake tract. The oil/gases will stick to everything. Either way clean is better than dirty lol.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got one about 2 months ago and just been too Lazy to put it on . This weekend want to do it. Have some ticking and want to bring to the dealer for it, Don,t know if their going make a ***** about the catch can being on the truck, Does anyone think I should hold off on the installing it till the motor gets looked at and its only got 14,600 miles on it

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got one about 2 months ago and just been too Lazy to put it on . This weekend want to do it. Have some ticking and want to bring to the dealer for it, Don,t know if their going make a ***** about the catch can being on the truck, Does anyone think I should hold off on the installing it till the motor gets looked at and its only got 14,600 miles on it

If you've held on this long I would wait. In my personal experience, it seems most stealership service departments either don't care or pay attention to add ons, or they'll try to find any excuse not to honor warranty repairs.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

i would wait for sure. why chance it.

Judy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where is this catch can on 5.7 2017 ram 1500? Is this an aftermarket product?

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yes. its usually either bolted by the radiator on a bracket or on a bracket in front of the passengers side cylinder head. looks like a canister, 6-8 inches tall.