Full Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blake6292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been searching and cant seem to find any buried post about suggestions for a full delete. I know they are here but its not in front of my face. I am looking to do a full delete on my 2014 2500 6.7, I looked at a sinister diesel egr kit and may pick it up for the price. I also have found either a 5" exhaust or possibly a 4" replacement section that appears to bolt on. I am having trouble picking a programmer to wrap it all up. I would love to hear any suggestions on any of the items needed for the delete. I would like to keep my price below 2K but I cant take it with me so if I have to go over for quality I will. I also am not a mechanic so a full list of items needed would be great, im under the impression its the EGR, the exhaust and a programmer to remove the DEF. I could be wrong and would love any suggestions on what I may need. Thanks, if this is in the wrong place or over posted please point me in the right direction.

OP
OP
B

Blake6292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was also curious as to the benefits of the valve body deletes I have seen

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If I were in the market for such a thing, which I am not at all. I think you might do yourself a favor and search out a local source for this service. You mentioned, not being a mechanic. I would look for some local diesel shop, that has done this delete operation already , so they know what you will need to do. Especially on the tuning end of things. It might cost a couple of bucks for their guidance, but doing this wrong, and using your truck as a guinea pig and guessing isnt a great idea.

An acquaintance of mine recently had this done to his duramax, think it was around $4k for a local diesel specialty shop to do it for him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blake6292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will do, Im having a hard time due to a group at the top that wana save the frogs.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I'm going to be "that guy" and ask why?
While yes there can be emission issues but they are few and far between in these newer trucks. (14 and up). Tuning is not going to gain you any significant mpg (maybe 1 mpg if that) and while it will add power you are at high risk of destroying your transmission. The 68 RFE does not like any additional HP or removing the torque management. I also see more then my fair share of issues with tuned trucks (outside the biggest one the tranny). Throwing codes, poor shifting, you name it.

I say leave it alone and save the money. You could easily end up creating a money pit if you are not careful

I'm sure someone who has deleted will chime in and say they have had no issues but a quick search of the diesel forums and you will find plenty of issues.

OP
OP
B

Blake6292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm going to be "that guy" and ask why?
While yes there can be emission issues but they are few and far between in these newer trucks. (14 and up). Tuning is not going to gain you any significant mpg (maybe 1 mpg if that) and while it will add power you are at high risk of destroying your transmission. The 68 RFE does not like any additional HP or removing the torque management. I also see more then my fair share of issues with tuned trucks (outside the biggest one the tranny). Throwing codes, poor shifting, you name it.

I say leave it alone and save the money. You could easily end up creating a money pit if you are not careful

I'm sure someone who has deleted will chime in and say they have had no issues but a quick search of the diesel forums and you will find plenty of issues.

Honestly the biggest reason is to be able to run a 5" turbo back straight pipe....I just cant get past the sound, its just my thing. I also hate the EGR and the idea of an EGR, I had a delete done on my tractor and just see such a massive improvement on it that I just cant see any reason not to. I have looked at the issues and could care less about any extra anything with the truck. I am also lazy and do not want to have to clean the EGR every 60k miles even though its easy enough. I am by no means diesel literate but I can find my way around an engine

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Honestly the biggest reason is to be able to run a 5" turbo back straight pipe....I just cant get past the sound, its just my thing. I also hate the EGR and the idea of an EGR, I had a delete done on my tractor and just see such a massive improvement on it that I just cant see any reason not to. I have looked at the issues and could care less about any extra anything with the truck. I am also lazy and do not want to have to clean the EGR every 60k miles even though its easy enough. I am by no means diesel literate but I can find my way around an engine

Why do you need to clean the EGR at 60K? Not needed with the newer DEF trucks. DEF injected into the exhaust cuts down significantly the number of EGR "events" that occur, that's the beauty of it.
I get you want that diesel sound but I think you are going to pay for it in the end. I was young once to so I get it, just trying to be the voice of reason. Been there, done that.

Can't compare your tractor to a newer Ram, totally different animals. And, Yes I have farm tractors also....

OP
OP
B

Blake6292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why do you need to clean the EGR at 60K? Not needed with the newer DEF trucks. DEF injected into the exhaust cuts down significantly the number of EGR "events" that occur, that's the beauty of it.
I get you want that diesel sound but I think you are going to pay for it in the end. I was young once to so I get it, just trying to be the voice of reason. Been there, done that.

Can't compare your tractor to a newer Ram, totally different animals. And, Yes I have farm tractors also....

I apologize I may have misread the manual on the EGR but I could have swore it said to clean the EGR at 67500 miles. I also appreciate both sides which is why I posted here, I want opinions. This is after all my first truck that is not a 1500 Silverado so there are all alot of differences here.

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I beg to differ, I deleted at 5000km and noticed an instant 20 % increase in economy on the Hwy.

I run a 5" turbo back exhaust with a muffler.

I regularly run a +120hp tune and have had no issues at all at 90000km.

10000km has been towing a tri axle machinery trailer around 4.5 metric tons.

Not one cel or gearbox issue.

I used a race me ultra with custom tuning.

The canned tunes in the ultra are pretty good and will be good enough for most.

The mm3 is the same, but doesn't come with canned tunes.

It's not hard to find the best tune writer for mm3 and Cummins 6.7....

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I apologize I may have misread the manual on the EGR but I could have swore it said to clean the EGR at 67500 miles.
There is a crankcase ventilation(CCV) filter that needs to be changed at that mileage, a Service light will come on.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

Not sure how DEF injected in the middle of the exhaust pipe ( 5 - 6 feet downstream) would ever reach the EGR port on the exhaust manifold. It doesn't seem like DEF could somehow flow backwards through the exhaust system to reach the EGR valve. Please explain?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not sure how DEF injected in the middle of the exhaust pipe ( 5 - 6 feet downstream) would ever reach the EGR port on the exhaust manifold. It doesn't seem like DEF could somehow flow backwards through the exhaust system to reach the EGR valve. Please explain?

Who said anything about DEF getting back to the EGR?

I'll try to explain how this works....

Your truck produces NOx (nitrogen oxide) this is what they are trying to reduce the emission of. One of the ways they have been doing it for years is with EGR (Exhaust gas re circulation). taking some of that exhaust gas and routing back in to the intake.
Now we have a SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system in the exhaust where the DEF is injected. This DEF fluid also reduces NOx emissions which allows for fewer EGR events. It's basically taking some of the work away from the EGR so the EGR is not doing all of the NOx reduction now. (like it did pre DEF trucks)

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The extra def usage during towing is probably from the extra heat and reduced egr. I’ve been looking, reading and talking to different ones about deleting and I’m still on the fence. Just as many problems on both sides of the aisle. I also hear good from both sides. I’m going to run mine as it is and deal with it when and if it happens.

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I have been searching and cant seem to find any buried post about suggestions for a full delete. I know they are here but its not in front of my face. I am looking to do a full delete on my 2014 2500 6.7, I looked at a sinister diesel egr kit and may pick it up for the price. I also have found either a 5" exhaust or possibly a 4" replacement section that appears to bolt on. I am having trouble picking a programmer to wrap it all up. I would love to hear any suggestions on any of the items needed for the delete. I would like to keep my price below 2K but I cant take it with me so if I have to go over for quality I will. I also am not a mechanic so a full list of items needed would be great, im under the impression its the EGR, the exhaust and a programmer to remove the DEF. I could be wrong and would love any suggestions on what I may need. Thanks, if this is in the wrong place or over posted please point me in the right direction.

I've got a 14 2500 6.7 as well. Been trying to research it for a while, I am at a point where I have a decision for what I am doing, but had to talk to some local shops, and try to contact places by phone. Businesses won't answer you in messaging, or e-mail, as they don't want anything in writing. EPA has been really cutting down on this stuff, so everyone is scared to get shut down. There is a more dedicated forum for the Cummins that I hear has a lot of information on the subject, if you want to pay for a lifetime membership. Felt too much like a cult to me, so I opted out of that group.

I am doing some transmission mods and adding a tuner in the process. Tuner with tunes, is going to cost me about $1400. If I were to delete as well, I have seen pricing as low as $200 if you want to just replace a few pieces, up to $600 if you want to replace the whole system. I believe tuners can just turn off and close the EGR system, so buying parts to block it off is not always necessary.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've got a 14 2500 6.7 as well. Been trying to research it for a while, I am at a point where I have a decision for what I am doing, but had to talk to some local shops, and try to contact places by phone. Businesses won't answer you in messaging, or e-mail, as they don't want anything in writing. EPA has been really cutting down on this stuff, so everyone is scared to get shut down. There is a more dedicated forum for the Cummins that I hear has a lot of information on the subject, if you want to pay for a lifetime membership. Felt too much like a cult to me, so I opted out of that group.

I am doing some transmission mods and adding a tuner in the process. Tuner with tunes, is going to cost me about $1400. If I were to delete as well, I have seen pricing as low as $200 if you want to just replace a few pieces, up to $600 if you want to replace the whole system. I believe tuners can just turn off and close the EGR system, so buying parts to block it off is not always necessary.

Everyone is tight lipped for sure. I think the best bet other then a local shop are the tuners based in Canada since they aren't under risk of being shutdown.
Yeah, I got kicked out of that other site Lol. They are quiet the tools.. Anyone with negative comments or feedback gets booted so i's nothing but the fan boys left so hard to get honest feedback.

What tuner platform did you decide to go with? (EzLynk, MM3 etc)

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Everyone is tight lipped for sure. I think the best bet other then a local shop are the tuners based in Canada since they aren't under risk of being shutdown.
Yeah, I got kicked out of that other site Lol. They are quiet the tools.. Anyone with negative comments or feedback gets booted so i's nothing but the fan boys left so hard to get honest feedback.

What tuner platform did you decide to go with? (EzLynk, MM3 etc)

I decided EZLynk. Went back and forth between EZLynk and EFI Live, but decided to try EZLynk. Lots of people seem to love MM3, but just trying to talk to the guys that sell that system is a PITA. They won't talk to you on the phone, even when I was asking questions that didn't relate to emissions, unless I was a paying member of the forum.

2014cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
If you do delete it stay with the factory down pipe and just do 4 inch back. The factory down pipe has a flex pipe built into it to keep stuff from rattling. I learnt the hard way.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I did a full delete to my 2017 due to numerous issues with DEF codes, regen codes and several instances of the truck going into Limp Mode, leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

My mods are:

1. EGR Cooler delete
2. Throttle valve delete
3. Edge CTS-2 programmer
4. EFI Live tunes - 4 tunes to choose from which can be selected on the go
5. CSP-4 selector switch to select one of the 4 tunes
6. 4" delete pipes - my buddy did a 5" turbo back but it didn't fit well and rattled a lot. He went back to 4"
7. Removed catalyst and regen cannisters
8. 4" in/out Corsa # CSE-8004002 dB performance diesel muffler - a straight pipe exhaust was just a bit too much
9. 4" to 6" rear tip
10. BD Diesel transmission valve body plate
11. BD Diesel transmission/tail shaft housing case brace

Results?

1. Much better performance
2. Better mileage
3. Better sound

Since the delete was completed I have experienced no Limp Mode instances and no regen codes. Truck runs great and is a real joy to drive.

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
Maddog, how much better mileage? I am picking up a 2018 2500 on Friday and trying to figure out if the mileage advantage would be worth it for me.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Around 1 - 2 in town, 2 - 3 Hwy at the most.

The biggest advantages for me with the delete were:

1. A truck that doesn't randomly go into limp mode or shut down, leaving me stranded.

2. Much better throttle response.

3. Selectable tunes for low speed town driving, freeway cruising and towing.

4. Lower EGT numbers.

Of course, getting a bit better mileage is also a plus.