Functional Scoops/Ram Cold Air Ducts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know how it is in the rain; would heavy rain be an issue?

Living in Seattle with the scoops and cold air kit it's now a problem. Driving through rivers is a different story though

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your gonna need the optional snorkel kit for submerged operations.

T

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Phase II:

The open hood scoop had a considerable amount of casting flash. I spent some time with the Exacto knife and #11 blade to clean it up.

The instruction gave up pop the original solid scoop out and install the open one first thing. I ended up doing the scoop install close to last as fitting the plenum was problematic to a degree, at least for me. With the plenum semi installed the open scoop went in without issue.

I opted to remove the hood insulation blanket in total after semi marking out the cut out zone in chalk. Easter to work the shears on the bench the the truck. I may alter the cut out for a more custom fit.

The plenum mounting takes a bit of head scratching to get the components in place. At first go round it was like “no way will this thing fit between the hood and the support structure”, but it does with ease (once the new open scoop was removed which gave up just a bit more space to move things ).

The bolt that fits in the plenum filter opening is 60mm’s long. I found it was a washer thickness to short, so left it off pending a re-fit tomorrow, or a thinner washer. It (the bolt head) is just visible in the pictures.

T.

View attachment 174382

View attachment 174383

View attachment 174384

View attachment 174385
That’s just look so damn sweet. Extremely nice.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
phase II to %100 completion this morning.

I got the missing washer on the plenum by sticking my hand inside the plenum and pushing down toward the bolt. I also shaved the edge of the washer to give some clearance on the rolled inner edge of the plenum.

Cutting the hood mat is best done with a fresh utility knife blade or hobbyist blade, or maybe single edge razor blade. I did a short section with scissor type shears but the finish cut was not as clean as I would have liked. The mat changes it’s make up from insulation like material near the center to card board like material near the edges. A blade cuts the insulation with ease and the card stock with a bit more effort. The blade is easy to control. Glad I removed the mat in total as it made laying out the area ease. I used hobbyist clamps to position the template for re-marking with more chalk. The chalk was washed off with some wind shield washer fluid and a micro fibre cloth. I did not alter the area removed as I had mentioned I might. The template provided allows for enough clearance to install the mat with the rest of the kit installed, so I stuck with the Mopar engineering.

You can adjust the plenum fore and aft to effect the best fit to the hood scoop, but there is still some clearance at the parts interface. I attempted to seal the slight gap with metallic duct sealing tape, which worked rather well I think.

Mat install: During mat removal I trashed a few of the factory retainer pins, I think, so I bought new from the dealer to ensure I kept that factory fresh tight fit of the mat to the underside of the hood. OUCH! In Canada there 5.95 a piece. You need 7. They only had 6, so I reused one of my own. Being annul retentive can be costly, but that’s they way I roll.

T.

B7E37DAC-72FD-4AA6-A443-3A62A9D867CE.jpeg

C2BFF8EC-6E69-4C68-8672-47C5AAD2E73B.jpeg

F47DCCF0-1C2F-4E00-A5FB-114337C5A28D.jpeg

44FA0F4D-62EA-48F0-9C3D-0E3405B6B4A9.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
phase II to %100 completion this morning.

I got the missing washer on the plenum by sticking my hand inside the plenum and pushing down toward the bolt. I also shaved the edge of the washer to give some clearance on the rolled inner edge of the plenum.

Cutting the hood mat is best done with a fresh utility knife blade or hobbyist blade, or maybe single edge razor blade. I did a short section with scissor type shears but the finish cut was not as clean as I would have liked. The mat changes it’s make up from insulation like material near the center to card board like material near the edges. A blade cuts the insulation with ease and the card stock with a bit more effort. The blade is easy to control. Glad I removed the mat in total as it made laying out the area ease. I used hobbyist clamps to position the template for re-marking with more chalk. The chalk was washed off with some wind shield washer fluid and a micro fibre cloth. I did not alter the area removed as I had mentioned I might. The template provided allows for enough clearance to install the mat with the rest of the kit installed, so I stuck with the Mopar engineering.

You can adjust the plenum fore and aft to effect the best fit to the hood scoop, but there is still some clearance at the parts interface. I attempted to seal the slight gap with metallic duct sealing tape, which worked rather well I think.

Mat install: During mat removal trashed a few of the factory retainer pins, I think, so I bought new from the dealer to ensure I kept that factory fresh tight fit of the mat to the underside of the hood. OUCH! In Canada there 5.95 a piece. You need 7. They only had 6, so I reused one of my own. Being annul retentive can be costly, but that’s they way I roll.

T.

View attachment 174569

View attachment 174570

View attachment 174571

View attachment 174572
Outstanding write up and documentation of the install another member could surely benefit from it in the future.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
....and you should feel the throttle response since the decal install. Feels like almost zero increase in horse power. It's amazing really!:D

T.

(Q: There is another slight mod shown. What is it?)

Last edited:

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Performance: I can not attest to a performance gain having installed this kit. I can not say if I've seen any mileage gains either as I'm not one to monitor mileage that close. I like the truck. I drive the truck. I fill the tank as need be. That said I did have it out on the highway for a 120km run last week during which I watched the on-board fuel calculator. At highway cruise speed (112km's per hour) it was telling me I was managing 9Liters per 100km's (26 miles per U.S. gallon). I do not have any hard data to back up the factory puter claims. Just putting that out there.

T.