Functional Scoops/Ram Cold Air Ducts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So,...will or will not, this two part system (hood kit, plus the airbox CAI kit) fit a 2018 Sport 4x4?

T.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well! So much for saving a grand!

T.

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The advantages dont out weight the cost..
Yea I understand, your talking just the Ram Air Duct part alone is over $300 bucks and for that many grab the Veraram. But for me I chose to go with it. And thus far in my opinion for actually owning it and running with my other mods it’s cool. In my opinion the advantages of the pedal commander don’t outweigh the cost, however it adds a bit more excitement and make the truck fun to drive so hell it is what it is. From what I understand from many a ported throttle body don’t do much, but me, I’m going to grab one anyway.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wouldnt have a need for a peddle commander..My trinity can do that..So your happy payin all that $ for little to no real world benefit of your hard earned $?? Your $ to do as you see fit but me personally i dont wanna do anything unless there is benefit..Ex just to pull off the clutch fan causes less parasitic engine drag,sending more power down the line and may(no clue for sure)have same benefit as your $600 ish cai for free.....Another thing to that i dont have proof of is how much air actually funnels in from the scoop?? Again me personally i woulda just put in a good drop in filter and looked on here for the dyi air box mod and again have same effect for less than $50...
Save the $ for the BIG mods like headers,tunes,tuners,better brakes n such...

I will say it is a freakin cool as hell cai..Now if you got the box and the scoop gear for say $300 ish,it would be an easier pill to swallow..

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He it’s all good. You know being my age one thing I’ve figured out is everything has a different value to different individuals. You know it’s allot of choices out there, every vehicle, every setup is different. It’s about choosing what the owner feels comfortable with. I also have the Trinity T2 with a Jay Greene Tune with 150% throttle boost added and I still enjoy rolling with the Pedal Commander on Sport Plus 2, sometimes even 4. I’m retired just living life. I don’t sweat allot of small ****. Damn sho don’t sweat $300 bucks on a Ram Air Duct. Everybody financial situation is different. What may seem like allot of paper to one individual, might not be crap to the next man. We all I’m sure in different income brackets.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He it’s all good. You know being my age one thing I’ve figured out is everything has a different value to different individuals. You know it’s allot of choices out there, every vehicle, every setup is different. It’s about choosing what the owner feels comfortable with. I also have the Trinity T2 with a Jay Greene Tune with 150% throttle boost added and I still enjoy rolling with the Pedal Commander on Sport Plus 2, sometimes even 4. I’m retired just living life. I don’t sweat allot of small ****. Damn sho don’t sweat $300 bucks on a Ram Air Duct. Everybody financial situation is different. What may seem like allot of paper to one individual, might not be crap to the next man. We all I’m sure in different income brackets.
Well said!

First thing I do when I buy a new vehicle is intake and exhaust. The sound just makes the driving experience so much better for me. I swear my truck felt more peppy after the intake though. My s&b is too quiet for my liking though.

How does this intake sound now with the scoop?

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well said!

First thing I do when I buy a new vehicle is intake and exhaust. The sound just makes the driving experience so much better for me. I swear my truck felt more peppy after the intake though. My s&b is too quiet for my liking though.

How does this intake sound now with the scoop?
To me it sounds like a totally different truck on the pedal, it’s sounds awesome and unlike others I can care less about drone, that’s just me. I wanted my truck nice, load and aggressive and that’s what it is. Different strokes for different folks. In my opinion and I’m no expert, I’m no mechanic let’s get that out the way. I’m a hobbyist. And I can tell you my truck seat of the pants dyno it feels awesome, could be a placebo effect, I don’t really care. I’m happy as hell with it, in addition it’s Mopar.

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know how it is in the rain; would heavy rain be an issue?
My understanding is rain can surely get inside via the scoops. If rain/water enters the air box there’s drain holes
And the beautiful thing for me is, it’s Mopar, I have a damn good relationship with my service advisor and service tech and if anything damaging was to occur it would be covered under warranty. Luckily for me I’m near a mod friendly dealer.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm liking the idea that it's Mopar also. I was thinking (again, lol) that in the winter, if one was so inclined, you could just bolt the "Mopar" logo metal top on the top side of the airbox and just run without the scoop functional for the winter season. The hood plenum seal should not be hurt at all.

T.

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm liking the idea that it's Mopar also. I was thinking (again, lol) that in the winter, if one was so inclined, you could just bolt the "Mopar" logo metal top on the top side of the airbox and just run without the scoop functional for the winter season. The hood plenum seal should not be hurt at all.

T.
Here’s the deal Tigre it’s expensive, actually hellve expensive if your talking in terms of American bucks it’s about a $800-$900 buck mod. Some willing to spend it although minimal to no gains etc. Others aren’t. It’s very few on the forum that’s running this setup and I completely understand why, it comes down to dollars and cents. I personally feel it was a good investment for Me, my situation, my truck and my goals for my truck. But as I stated everyone has different goals, priorities etc. I taught long and hard about ditching my Mopar CAI for the Veraram which I feel is also a outstanding system especially in terms of how it cleans up the engine bay. But by having these Mopar parts I can take my truck to the dealer leave my modified PCM on, leave my Trinity in the window hooked up, the pedal commander hooked up and get warranty work done, a loaner vehicle and have no issues or question. It makes it worth it to me. You get it I feel you will be pleased. If I would’ve listen to all the nay sayers I wouldn’t have made it 30 years in the military. Believe me, many question my decision to do that. Go for it man.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
JH, I could dig up my intro post and no doubt find other of my posts which stated "these CAI's and similar bolt on mods, headers, duel cats, high flow exhaust pipes/muffler etc, don't do half of what is claimed or advertised",..or words to that effect. Having put that out on the site....here I am again doing mods for what? Well....because I want to. That kinda says it all..."because I want to". As you state...with "factory parts" there is less likely to be dealer/warrenty issues perhaps. Truth be known, I've not been worried about that with what little I've do this far.

T.

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
JH, I could dig up my intro post and no doubt find other of my posts which stated "these CAI's and similar bolt on mods, headers, duel cats, high flow exhaust pipes/muffler etc, don't do half of what is claimed or advertised",..or words to that effect. Having put that out on the site....here I am again doing mods for what? Well....because I want to. That kinda says it all..."because I want to". As you state...with "factory parts" there is less likely to be dealer/warrenty issues perhaps. Truth be known, I've not been worried about that with what little I've do this far.

T.
They’re you go because it’s something you want. Hell my service tech told me the Throttle Body is going to be a waste of money, it’s not going to do a damn thing for me Performance wise. But you know what, I want one. So as we get older and wiser you get what you want. Im getting old and it want be no u-haul truck behind my hearse. They gone throw some dirt on my ass and that’s going to be it. Lol. Get what you want, be happy with it. I don’t tell no one how to spend they’re paper and no one will tell me how to spend mine. So go for it man. I’d be interested to know what you think about it.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Beating the dead horse here: Those mods I mention above "that didn't do anything" I did to my 03 SLT in hopes of a mileage increase. I can't say that I saw any major diff in either mileage or performance. I did not have it tuned, never ran a tuner box on it, and had no way to gather actual data to support my claims one way or the other. There was a marked increase in mileage during summer time highway cruise mode...no doubt about that. Still can't say it was my bolt on's that made that happen. Strictly speaking I was "hoping" for a mileage improvement with this new truck and new CAI system. Around town the (03) truck was hard on fuel I thought. Still, I didn't mind spending the money to test the waters, if you will. Loved the sound of the MBRP single pipe cat back system, duel cats and TTI long tubes....all that stainless under the truck,...cool thinks me. I'm doing this CAI thing again, cause I want to, no expectation of world beater performance or mileage gains,..but I can hope. It for sure is a much nicer finished off look then the tin plate CAI kit I had on the SLT. As mentioned else where, I ran the SRT-10 hood and it's plenum..and that was a costly item too. I guess I'm consistent if nothing else. After all...what's wrong with a little "retail therapy"? (don't answer that).

T.

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s looks good, looking forward to hearing your taught. I’m enjoying my setup. Now get them Ram Air Ducts installed.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Phase II:

The open hood scoop had a considerable amount of casting flash. I spent some time with the Exacto knife and #11 blade to clean it up.

The instructions said to pop the original solid scoop out and install the open one first thing. I ended up doing the scoop install close to last as fitting the plenum was problematic to a degreewith the new scoop in place, at least for me. With the plenum semi installed the open scoop went in without issue.

I opted to remove the hood insulation blanket in total after semi marking out the cut out zone in chalk. Easye to work the shears on the bench then the truck. I may alter the cut out for a more custom fit.

The plenum mounting takes a bit of head scratching to get the components in place. At first go round it was like “no way will this thing fit between the hood and the support structure”, but it does with ease (once the new open scoop was removed which gave up just a bit more space to move things ).

The bolt that fits in the plenum filter opening is 60mm’s long. I found it was a washer thickness to short, so left it off pending a re-fit tomorrow, or a thinner washer. It (the bolt head) is just visible in the pictures.

T.

4A3E4650-2372-4139-AF27-0F82E28EAC2E.jpeg

84F79C3B-8BA7-4704-AF8C-7082DF7D1111.jpeg

CA0AC60D-DD55-451D-8FB1-7EB6E1BE1D93.jpeg

09A4BDA9-2B49-4062-8A2D-A95337F504C8.jpeg

Last edited: