Gas pump issues on 2019 new body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clayinfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi - no etorque
I have not experienced any issues so far in Florida.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
No problems here. It's thirsty.. does that count?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I'm here because this issue just emerged on my 2018. It started happening little over a month ago. Every pump: Chevron, Sam's Club and Costco. Doesn't matter the angle, depth or speed. (twss)

Called my dealer today and was placed on hold. They finally asked me if the service manager could call me back. I said sure. And no call. No surprise.

I just have a strong feeling that if I take it in for service, they'll keep my truck for 2 days and nothing will have been solved. This, based on reading that pending class action suit. FCA doesn't even acknowledge the issue. So why would the dealership spend time & money on it. They couldn't care if I took an hour to fill up.

I was really hoping I'd find a "here's a simple fix" post.
I'm not sure if it's the same type of issue but I imagine the 4th gen is similar in design to the 5th gen.

My truck was at the dealership for this issue but they didn't get to it as the coronavirus hit and I ended up getting my truck back before they could check it.

Some recommendations for maximum chance of success:

1. They will want to pump gas (obviously). Make sure your tank is at a level you know it will do this at. They will also stop trying when the tank is full so if you want them to spend some time at the pump then they need room in the tank. They will conveniently charge you for the gas pumped but at least they'll have time to test it.

2. They won't drive far to pump gas. Make sure you test stations near the dealership to find out which one gives the best symptoms and tell the dealership to fill it up there.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
These trucks do seem finicky. Was putting fuel in yesterday had nozzle ALL THE WAY in, kept clicking off. So I backed it out maybe a third, it keeps pumping but never clicked off, and put about 1/4 gallon on the ground until I grabbed the handle. Fortunately I did not walk away from the truck.

RysingSun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, just wanted to share my issues and the resolution. Once the weather started to warm back up here in Vegas, I had issues at the pump. I could hear the filler neck fill up and then shut the gas pump nozzle off. Rinse and repeat. Didn't matter the pump, angle, rate of flow - nothing helped.

Cut to 4 weeks ago, took my 2018 Ram 1500 into the dealership, they looked at me crazy. Then he called me back and apologized. Mechanics could recreate issue AND there was a brand new Technical Service Bulletin out addressing it. I don't know the details. He said it mentioned a bad or malformed tank causing vapors to build up.

The fix: replace the enter gas tank.

Which happened just this morning. They also had to replace the fuel pump because they broke a T-fitting on it when removing the original tank.

I just pumped in 3/4 a tank without a single pause.

Hope this helps.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Mine wasn't as severe. Got my truck back last week and they put in a new filler neck (new design) that fixed my problem.

Michael Seitter

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with a few thousand miles. From day 1 I can barely trickle gas into it. I assume it has something to do with the filler neck. I will be contacting the dealership to see what can be done and if it is a warranty issue. I will let you know what happens. Mike

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
There is a simple fox for this... trade it for a Ford.

I kid, I kid.

Mine is a 2020 and it has the problem

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
I will say on a recent trip across the western states, I had no issues in CO, UT, NV, AZ, or NM when filling up or topping off but I DID have issues in CA, which was the only state that had these types of pumps (at least at the stations I went to):

image.jpg

Was super annoying to have to try and hold it at the "sweet spot" for what felt like 15 minutes while it slowly trickled in. I'd say this pump type definitely has an influence on it.

GunnyJC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I had the same problem on a 2018. Get RAM Customer Care involved. It was eventually fixed by replacing the gas tank and the evaporation cannister. But, the dealership woldn't do it without Customer Care involvement. Hopefully, your still under warranty. Mine was in the shop four times without being fixed. The last time was a few miles before the warranty expired. I was still having the same problem a week and a half later but got customer care involved. They had dealership replace the above items but I had to pay a 200 dollar plus tax deductible.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hey all, just wanted to share my issues and the resolution. Once the weather started to warm back up here in Vegas, I had issues at the pump. I could hear the filler neck fill up and then shut the gas pump nozzle off. Rinse and repeat. Didn't matter the pump, angle, rate of flow - nothing helped.

Cut to 4 weeks ago, took my 2018 Ram 1500 into the dealership, they looked at me crazy. Then he called me back and apologized. Mechanics could recreate issue AND there was a brand new Technical Service Bulletin out addressing it. I don't know the details. He said it mentioned a bad or malformed tank causing vapors to build up.

The fix: replace the enter gas tank.

Which happened just this morning. They also had to replace the fuel pump because they broke a T-fitting on it when removing the original tank.

I just pumped in 3/4 a tank without a single pause.

Hope this helps.
Sounds like that is a pretty good dealer, quick repair.

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
Started having this problem a few weeks ago. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 and will be taking it to the Dealer soon. Will respond with what the solution.

Tombato

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Body
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From Boston, only had the problem once in 63,000 mi and not sure what caused it. was many miles ago. been to RI,CT,NY,PA,VT,NH,ME.. no issues. .. good luck I'm sorry you're having these issues... dealerships can suck for sure!

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
Started having this problem a few weeks ago. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 and will be taking it to the Dealer soon. Will respond with what the solution.
My Dealer replaced the Filler Tube according to the Service Bulletin. It did not fix the problem. It helped slightly but did not Fix the Problem. I'm now waiting for the Factory to "get Back to Me/Us". It's been a week since they replaced the Filler Tube with no success.

Anyone have the "Fix"? I'm waiting for the Rollover Vent to be "The Fix"...

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Anyone have the "Fix"? I'm waiting for the Rollover Vent to be "The Fix"...
That's where I'm at.

First visit - couldn't reproduce.

Second visit - new filler neck (updated part since my truck was assembled). Helped some but not completely. The pump won't shut off at $2 now but it shuts off before the tank is full.

Third visit - they approved replacing the gas tank for the rollover vent. Part on order and I got my truck back.

Fourth visit - TBD. I take the truck in next week for the new tank and we'll see if that fixes the problem.

The only other thing I think it could be is something in the evap system. Since I haven't had any overfill issues (which would have put moisture into that system and damaged components) I'm hopeful that this fixes the issue completely.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I actually found a gas station with the older style pump guns and when I filled up this weekend it didn't click off at all ...

I am starting to think that it's really not the evap system or the tanks but the pump guns at these gas stations that are very sensitive ... they have a sensor in them that has to be replaced if it goes bad, I asked a guy who was servicing the pumps at a newer gas station and he said the new pump guns are just horrible and they have no time to maintain them which is why these pump are causing problems for many newer trucks and cars ...

So there you have it .... this is actually not rally FCAs fault but more the new pumps that are replacing the older ones ...

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I actually found a gas station with the older style pump guns and when I filled up this weekend it didn't click off at all ...

I am starting to think that it's really not the evap system or the tanks but the pump guns at these gas stations that are very sensitive ... they have a sensor in them that has to be replaced if it goes bad, I asked a guy who was servicing the pumps at a newer gas station and he said the new pump guns are just horrible and they have no time to maintain them which is why these pump are causing problems for many newer trucks and cars ...

So there you have it .... this is actually not rally FCAs fault but more the new pumps that are replacing the older ones ...
I'll agree somewhat. I'm sure that the pump guns could be better but my truck is the only vehicle I've driven in the last (at least) 15 years that this has happened to.

I've lived in the same area since 2003 and I've not had an issue filling any car or truck (mine, my wife's, loaners, rentals, or borrowed) except my 2019 RAM.

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
OK, as of May 24th (two weeks after I first requested help) I finally had a solution to my problem. After several attempts directed by the Chrysler "Engineers" my Dealer followed their detailed attempts to fix the problem. After several attempts at fixing with minimum costs they finally directed my Dealer to replace the gas tank and filler tube with a NEW one. Fortunately my 2019 Ram Truck was under warranty and I did not have to pay anything. Even for the "Loaner" Dodge Charger for a week and a half.!!

Upon arriving home BTW, I was able to fill my tank at my local station with about 8 gallons of fuel without a hick up. Compared to my previous attempt of about 15 minutes to fill the same amount of fuel. Note: It was the same gas station with the same pumps.!! One day I couldn't pump and then after the FIX of the Roll Over Vent/Tank I pumped with No Problem.!!

My Dealer (Harper Jeep Ram, Alcoa, TN. Just outside of Knoxville, TN) was very helpful during the entire two week period. Ricky Stoots, the Service Manager, kept me informed to every thing they were directed to try. Ricky and his Organization stayed on top of the problem even to having the new gas tank shipped overnight giving me my Truck back by a day or three early. For anyone in the Knoxville TN area I highly recommend this Service Organization.!!

Last edited:

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
BTW, my gas filler pump problem happened a week after I had run the truck through an automatic high pressure car wash. I ran it through the HIGH PRESSURE wash that is designed to wash the salt/dirt from the lower frame. You drive through the high pressure wash as you drive into the wash bay. The faster you drive in the more of the body you can get washed by the "timed" wash from below.

I have used the wash bay several times over the last few months. The wash bay is in a tight corner behind the Pilot Station so I was not able to use the framework pressure spray as it was designed. So the last time (a week before my problem started) I took the time to backup and forward a few times so I could go straight into the high pressure wash.!! So I was able to slowly drive the "almost" entire truck through the lower high pressure spray before pulling further into the spot to stop for the rest of the wash.

I'm mentioning this as a caution to all Ram Truck owners/drivers because after the problem started I got under the truck and saw that the entire gas tank/filler system is exposed to the world from below. I'm not sure but the high pressure shot of water may have caused my problem. BECAUSE, the problem didn't happen until I believe (if my old memory is accurate) the next time I tried to fill up. That's when I was able to pump about 1.5 gallons before it clicked off as if it was full. Then I could only pump about 0.2 of gas at a time. Taking me 15 minutes to pump 8 or 9 gallons of gas.

This is just my thoughts on all of this but I really think the pressure from below caused the Over Flow Vent to malfunction. So Be Careful.!! Allow only the high pressure spray to hit the frame only up to the back of your drivers seat at best. No more or you may have the same problem I had.!!

Last edited: