Gasoline Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
May I ask why you chose 91% as "full" (as opposed to 100%)?
And do you know what the "LFW" value is? Is that when the warning light comes on? Like "Level Fuel Warning"?

Thanks!
It's been a long while but what I did was played with the number at 1/4 tank (8gal.) increments. So at half tank when i filled it i made sure it took 16 gallons. At 1/4 tank it takes 24 to fill.
LFW stand for Low Fuel Warning. It has it's own setting.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Like I said it's been almost 3 yrs ago since I did this but I found a word document in my Google drive. I snapped pics of it and will post it below. This is what aided me in making the changes.
Remember to upload your original settings FIRST to googledocs incase you make an error and you need something to refer back to.
Screenshot_20220913-141043_OfficeSuite.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-141110_OfficeSuite.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-141146_OfficeSuite.jpg

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
FWIW, just reviving this thread, my 2022 PW also is rather inaccurate regarding the gauge. Sadly, AlphaOBD only lets me set Empty (2%) and LFW (8%) and the tank volume, which was correct. No option to set the Full value.
There are some options regarding level voltages, but they're all set to zero.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm going to the dealer for the recall on the 14th of Feb, and asking them to check these settings because the last dealer said everything was fine. If they don't fix it, I'll check it with OBD myself.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Isn’t there some kind of stamping on the tank to identify the size? My 2021 3500 has a 50 gal tank. After reading this forum, I’ll be crawling underneath to verify. Also, have always been told to never run a vehicle dry that has fuel injectors as it could burn them up.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
yellow sticker

ntglpi.jpg

I have not read the complete post, but the more often that you run the tank down towards Empty, remember, that the full pump will last longer if it is kept submerged.

c78d8d113d274e89b50cd2edcc543528_490.jpg

Look at a side view of a Ram fuel tank, no fuel should be in the top 2" in the upper section of the tank, because that is where the Overflow Valve & the 2nd Tip Over Valve are located

68323675AB-3-TOP.jpg
view from the top

68323675AB-1-FRT.jpg

1VzNlr.jpg

Last edited:

JCE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a RAM "thing". I noticed the same on mine. I used Alpha OBD app and recalibrated the gauge. The stock settings had the wrong amount of Liters listed in the module. Now E really means Empty.
This isn't a RAM only thing, this is an industry standard and has been this way for at least a decade. I've owned multiple mfg's and a dozen vehicles in this time and they all have this fuel gauge behavior.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
This isn't a RAM only thing, this is an industry standard and has been this way for at least a decade. I've owned multiple mfg's and a dozen vehicles in this time and they all have this fuel gauge behavior.

Well my Super Duty, Yukon Denali, and 1994 Dakota does not act like the RAM. And to add, either does my Suzuki Samurai nor did the GMC 3500 I had. But you know what does, my 1965 VW by design, which is why the gauge reads R for reserve instead of E. Maybe RAM should have the gauge read R instead of E since E isn't empty at all.

JCE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well my Super Duty, Yukon Denali, and 1994 Dakota does not act like the RAM. And to add, either does my Suzuki Samurai nor did the GMC 3500 I had. But you know what does, my 1965 VW by design, which is why the gauge reads R for reserve instead of E. Maybe RAM should have the gauge read R instead of E since E isn't empty at all.
What years are the Super Duty, Yukon and GMC 3500?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
What years are the Super Duty, Yukon and GMC 3500?

Go read the numerous threads about the RAMS fuel gauge inaccuracy and how many people think they have a smaller tank because of the mis-calibration of the gauge. You'll find many of those people as previous Ford or Chevy owners that never seen this before. So I'm not going back and forth. It's what myself and many others experience and don't like it.
But to answer your last question the Fords were diesel 2016, 2006, & 2005 and my Yukon is a 2013 the GMC 3500 SRW was an 89 big block.

JCE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go read the numerous threads about the RAMS fuel gauge inaccuracy and how many people think they have a smaller tank because of the mis-calibration of the gauge. You'll find many of those people as previous Ford or Chevy owners that never seen this before. So I'm not going back and forth. It's what myself and many others experience and don't like it.
But to answer your last question the Fords were diesel 2016, 2006, & 2005 and my Yukon is a 2013 the GMC 3500 SRW was an 89 big block.
Wow you're a ray of sunshine aren't you? Would you like me to post literally every other forum of a different mfg showing you that this isn't just a RAM problem? Oh but you won't "go back and forth" because you know I'm right or you are closed minded so nevernind.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I get the idea of leaving a couple "reserve" gallons in the tank when it reads "E" or the DTE goes to zero but Ram does seem to take it to another level compared to other vehicles I've owned. My 2014 Hemi HD is listed as a 32 gallon tank and takes right at 25 gallons when the light comes on.

Fifty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Fuel tank size is based of 100% capacity of the tank. The filler neck stick down in the tank a couple of inches, so in theory you should never be able to fill it to 100%. This extra room allows for expansion.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Fuel tank size is based of 100% capacity of the tank. The filler neck stick down in the tank a couple of inches, so in theory you should never be able to fill it to 100%. This extra room allows for expansion.
The advertised capacity includes the top voids for things like the rollover valve(s).
My Fords and this RAM both are fully capable of being filled to their advertised capacities. I've run them low enough to know.
The problem & topic on hand is from the factory the RAM tells you its empty but it's not, it still has 4-6+ gallons left.
This might not matter to some but when you are a human calculator numbers type guy that hauls with your truck and base your fuel stops on where you can save $ it matters.
Like I said, look around in the threads, to some owners they recognize this too.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I’m waiting for someone to convert their bed to a tank. 3000 mile range
Not quite 3k mi but I do have 90 gallon tank under my Tonneau cover plus the 32 gallon truck tank. 1900mi truck only or 1400mi range if I'm towing one of the 5th wheels. What is nice is using fuel account apps, I get fuel based on price, not when I'm empty. That can sometimes be $1 a gallon difference. That can add up to $100 savings pretty easily. This is why I was so passionate to get my fuel gauge calibrated correctly for figuring estimations of fuel remaining. I used the same RDS tool/fuel box in my Fords and on those trucks E meant E on those trucks so that's what I'm use to.

montanabound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not quite 3k mi but I do have 90 gallon tank under my Tonneau cover plus the 32 gallon truck tank. 1900mi truck only or 1400mi range if I'm towing one of the 5th wheels. What is nice is using fuel account apps, I get fuel based on price, not when I'm empty. That can sometimes be $1 a gallon difference. That can add up to $100 savings pretty easily. This is why I was so passionate to get my fuel gauge calibrated correctly for figuring estimations of fuel remaining. I used the same RDS tool/fuel box in my Fords and on those trucks E meant E on those trucks so that's what I'm use to.
that’s amazing range for towing. Must be nice to pick and choose where you want to fuel up. Not some random small station where you can barely pull your rig into….

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If we had a system that we could take it down to 1/2 gallon all the time, we would. And, we would all be replacing the fuel pumps because of overheating them, and we would complain about ****** fuel pumps being no good. If the fuel pump is not submerged it will lead to premature failure. Sure, Ram is making us believe we have something that we don't, but so does the government. But that is fodder for another discussion.