Gear Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am somewhat mechanically inclined... how hard is it to swap both front & rear gears? Do you have to have a press to press on bearings or something? This might be something I am interested in over the next 6-12 months. Can you get a good set of gears cheaper than the 4.56 that I seen on Moe's website? Or is that about the going rate?

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I am somewhat mechanically inclined... how hard is it to swap both front & rear gears? Do you have to have a press to press on bearings or something? This might be something I am interested in over the next 6-12 months. Can you get a good set of gears cheaper than the 4.56 that I seen on Moe's website? Or is that about the going rate?

Setting up gears is not something you should do on your own the first time. If they don’t mesh perfectly you’re for uneven wear, excess noise, premature breakage, and possible even catastrophic failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FCA Master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless you are familiar with using pinion depth tools do not attempt this on your own. The overall job isn't overly difficult but pretty technical. I would try to find a pro that is willing to let you watch and ask questions for your ****** differential gear swap.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Unless you are familiar with using pinion depth tools do not attempt this on your own. The overall job isn't overly difficult but pretty technical. I would try to find a pro that is willing to let you watch and ask questions for your ****** differential gear swap.
Excellent advice here. There is a lot going on in a differential. More than it first appears. You have oinion bearing proper torque, some diffs have a crush sleeve that takes a certain torque spec on the pinion gear. Bearing preload, proper backlash, proper mesh pattern, etc I could go on and on. Your much better off watching a few be done or mayb if possible helping out to get a feel for things. As said prior if notmsrt up properly you will have bad gear whine, premature bearing failures or worse it could lock up and blow apart. Good luck

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Welp... I have heard enough! When I get to this mod I will be taking it to a shop! :) I have re-built several engines & transmissions back in the day but this sounds like a whole different animal, that you need a unique set of tools & know how.
Thanks for all of the responses all.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah a year later & I am still thinking about replacing my 3.73 gears! I noticed one guy on here did the 4.30's on his 2015 2500. Does anybody know if these are still available for 2016's? The few places I looked at showed 2015 as the last year for Ram. Looks like they are mainly used in Fords. I think the 4.10's are not enough juice for the squeeze but 4.56 might be too low considering how much I drive it without pulling.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah a year later & I am still thinking about replacing my 3.73 gears! I noticed one guy on here did the 4.30's on his 2015 2500. Does anybody know if these are still available for 2016's? The few places I looked at showed 2015 as the last year for Ram. Looks like they are mainly used in Fords. I think the 4.10's are not enough juice for the squeeze but 4.56 might be too low considering how much I drive it without pulling.

What if someone made you a deal on 4:10’s?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is no freekin way in hell I would regear to anything higher than 4.56’s. Even with stock tires, for my use (almost never any freeways) I would go with 4.88’s.

Im on 35’s now with 4.10’s and cant stand it. Couldn't hardly stand the 4.10’a with the stock tires either.

If I ever get the chance to regear, it’s 5.13’s, no questions asked.

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
There is no freekin way in hell I would regear to anything higher than 4.56’s. Even with stock tires, for my use (almost never any freeways) I would go with 4.88’s.

Im on 35’s now with 4.10’s and cant stand it. Couldn't hardly stand the 4.10’a with the stock tires either.

If I ever get the chance to regear, it’s 5.13’s, no questions asked.

I just got the break in oil change done on my 17 2500 CCLB hemi with 35's
I went from 3.73 to 4.88 and wow what a difference it makes i went with nitro gears and i can't even explain how much better the truck performs
However i don't think i would want to go lower lol

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got the break in oil change done on my 17 2500 CCLB hemi with 35's
I went from 3.73 to 4.88 and wow what a difference it makes i went with nitro gears and i can't even explain how much better the truck performs
However i don't think i would want to go lower lol

Heck yea, I bet you love it!

Hahahaha, well I would like to run 37’s, which is my main reason for them.

Regardless, at least 4.88’s with 35’s, or 4.56’s with stock tires.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

Since most of the cost of re-gearing is labor, I still probably wouldn't do it, even if they were really cheap. LOL I bet you could sell them to somebody with a Cummins though. I think that is the gearing they go to with the high output Cummins.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

Since most of the cost of re-gearing is labor, I still probably wouldn't do it, even if they were really cheap. LOL I bet you could sell them to somebody with a Cummins though. I think that is the gearing they go to with the high output Cummins.

COAinPaso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To the original question- it's difficult, but do-able. If you use new bearings, yes, they are pressed on/off. Rear axle is 'easier' than the front.
The 'hardest' part of re-gearing any axle is the many measurements and adjustments you will make. Again, not all that hard, just time consuming and needs to be precise and accurate. And you'll need the right tools for those measurements.
If you've never done it and want to try it, then try it. If you don't, you will always be somebody who has never tried it. Take it to the shop if you screw it up and can't get it right.
Experience that qualifies me to say this: personally, by myself, solo have set up gears on seven (7) different 4x4's. I'll do the math- that's 14 sets.
Watch some videos and read a lot, then decide if you want to try it. If you can twist a wrench and read, then you can do this.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
To the original question- it's difficult, but do-able. If you use new bearings, yes, they are pressed on/off. Rear axle is 'easier' than the front.
The 'hardest' part of re-gearing any axle is the many measurements and adjustments you will make. Again, not all that hard, just time consuming and needs to be precise and accurate. And you'll need the right tools for those measurements.
If you've never done it and want to try it, then try it. If you don't, you will always be somebody who has never tried it. Take it to the shop if you screw it up and can't get it right.
Experience that qualifies me to say this: personally, by myself, solo have set up gears on seven (7) different 4x4's. I'll do the math- that's 14 sets.
Watch some videos and read a lot, then decide if you want to try it. If you can twist a wrench and read, then you can do this.

Nice man! Good encouraging post....thanks!

Agree 100% with the other poster....if.you do it....4.56 mimimim with stock tires....otherwise not enough of a difference for the 3k price tag going from 3.73s which i have and are good enough for the trailer weight i have currently...