Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Gears are Ordered

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by FlatbedHemi, Aug 26, 2019.

1. FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    They did my initial break-in cycles because the drive home was beyond the mileage recommendation by Yukon. They made about 6 runs with cool down cycles before I got it. Now all I have to do is the 500 mile cycle and then everything says Im good for whatever I want to do, including towing. Have an appointment for the inspection and all next Friday. I plan on making a 200 mile trip the next day pulling a 24’ stock trailer so I hope it is up to it. As far as I know there isnt any special break-in for towing conditions.

2. allenmp

allenmp Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    There might not be on the Yukon gears
    On the nitro there was like 3 15 mile trips with a trailer with 30 minute break to cool them
    Or something like that.
    I just hooked to my trailer and had a lap of 15 miles that landed me right back at my driveway lol
    This was part of my 500 mile break in procedure
    Then inspect and oil change and good to go

3. Blanked

Blanked Junior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 2500 6.4
    Engine:
    Did the shop say how the water got in? Do you have stock size tires?
    I live 1 1/2 hours from Lufkin. What’s the name of the guy your dealing with

4. FlatbedHemi

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Most likely the water happened when I got stuck during deer season. He said they also see it a lot with people who launch boats from a boat ramp. The seals are designed keeping the heavy gear oil in, but arent tight enough to be water tight.

The owners name is Cody. Hes a great guy and was extremely accommodating. I dropped it off after hours on Tuesday, they did the work Wednesday and Thursday, and finished the break-in Friday. I couldn’t pick it up until well after they closed so he charged it out to my credit card and left the key and the receipt in my truck with the old gears packed in a box in the bed. Through the whole process he kept me informed and was a really good sport about my constant emails and questions during the install. If I was to do it again, they’ll be my shop of choice.

5. FlatbedHemi

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I am running 295/70/18 which were 34.25” new. When these wear out I am going with a true 35” tire, or maybe a 36” if I can find one thats not ridiculous expensive, if it will fit. I am only running a 2” leveling kit.

6. GsRAM

GsRAM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Dodge Ram 2500
    Engine:
    Hemi, 6.4L
    Glad to hear all went well and you were treated good by the shop. That's so important. Customer service is really lacking these days sp that's great to hear...and i think you paid a fair price for the swap

7. DodgeDude99

DodgeDude99 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins
    Damn $3100, did they even give you a kiss afterwards?

Parts are only $1300 for F&R gears & installs from a place like Alligator Performance. $500 install per axle is normal.

8. FlatbedHemi

Ram Year:
    Engine:

Not too far off once you factor in the fluids and other parts I wouldn’t think of getting, the extra time they spent doing the entire break-in process for me, and the fact that they were extremely accommodating and wonderful to work with. May have cost me a little more than some, but I only had 2 shops in my area, and Im extremely pleased with these guys.

C2AD5F60-B97A-4FF0-B952-D9C0F07E9B98.png

98C75DB3-2EB9-4BB9-B370-CD12A9CAD431.png

9. FlatbedHemi

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Well took it about 300 miles this weekend, and needless to say Im very please. Ran varying speeds from 55-80 and still averaged 14.6 (EVIC). She pulled effortlessly up the rolling hills of I20 to maintain the 75-80mph flow if traffic. Im loving it so far and cant wait to tow something and flog on it a lit bit.

Since I was smoking some ribs today and had nothing else to do but watch my fire and enjoy the day, I was playing with the AphaOBD software today and came across a place to change the axel ratio, so I did. Took it for a drive and didn’t notice any difference. I don’t know if its a critical change for shift points or line pressure or anything, but the service manager at my local dealership said it should be done. Again, I don’t know if it was necessary since it didnt seem to affect the driving characteristics any, but its a little piece of mind for me anyway. Will see if the program changes make any difference after some miles.

10. allenmp

allenmp Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi

I think they done that as part of my swap since i had it done at the dealer but good point I'll check it out.
    I am liking the alphaobd since i have added a few things to the tuck it has saved me some money. Hell just programming the mirrors it paid for itself lol
    I really like the gears i used nitro and on rapid deceleration i get a little low gear whine but other than that they are smooth as butter
    Now in used to them so sometimes i forget how much different they are. Lol
    Till i decide I'm in one of those moods Haha