Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Gears are Ordered

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by FlatbedHemi, Aug 26, 2019.

1. FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I just got off the phone with the off-road shop and they are ordering my gears today. Looks like Im actually going through with this 4.88 swap.

I put a few hundred miles on her this weekend and according to the EVIC I got 16.3 MPG at 70-75mph. On a normal week driving back and forth to work, I average about 14 driving the same speeds, but thats not just cruising and the terrain is a little more rolling than I was on this weekend. I know I can get 14mph easily around here, because I ran it in 5th gear for a while and got the same milage in 5th as I did in 6th. I know I dont drive a Prius, but I still like the idea of getting in the high teens on long tips. Im a little concerned about what its gonna do to my fuel mileage on trips like what I took over the weekend, but obviously not enough to keep me from doing the swap.

It is what it is I guess. Looking forward to seeing what she'll do when I get it back. She is scheduled to go in for the swap first thing Wednesday morning, and I should get it back Friday evening. Just had to share.

DirtyWipers, jagu366, GsRAM and 5 others like this.
  2. S0CAL

S0CAL US Marine Veteran Staff Member Super Moderator Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    2018 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4L
    Very nice. Where in TX are ya, and which shop is going to do the work?

3. FlatbedHemi

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I am having Dynamic Customs in Lufkin do the swap for me. I have some friends that have had them do swaps on Jeeps and stuff and they highly recommended them.

S0CAL likes this.
  4. Ribtipram

Ribtipram Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    If you dont mind me asking whats the price on the swap. Im looking to do something like this. Gonna be bad ass with 4.88's for ya

5. FlatbedHemi

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    $3138 and some change for the swap, out the door. After 500 miles I have to bring it back for an inspection and fluid change, which should run $60+ depending if I go with conventional gear oil or synthetic.

The labor on the invoice is only $550 per axel for the install and setup. They also do the initial 20 mile breakin cycles for me, so all I have to do is get in and drive it home.

6. Ribtipram

Ribtipram Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Kick ass keep us posted. You should be able to tow anything and run some big shit over.

RoadRamblerNJ likes this.
  7. FlatbedHemi

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Dropped off today, and she goes under the wrench tomorrow. Should have it back by Friday afternoon.

S0CAL likes this.
  8. 22hemi13

22hemi13 Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2014 2500 4x4
    Engine:
    . <<<< that’s me saving a spot lol

9. RoadRamblerNJ

RoadRamblerNJ Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    392 Hemi
    I'm Jealous!
    Can't do mine while unemployed. Waiting for Soc Sec to make a determination = NO $$.

10. 68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 2500 Outdoorsman
    Engine:
    Tell us how it goes. I am planning on doing 4.56 to mine with my Christmas bonus. :laughing1:Only have the 3.73's now so this should really help me pull my new to me 5th wheel. I ordered my truck & when I speced it out I was only pulling a 4,500lb boat & the occasional 4-5,000 lbs. on my utility trailer. Really didn't even need a 2500 but I wanted to have a little more than I really needed. 3 years later & here I am ordering tow mirrors, air bags, & re-gearing. Still kicking myself in the rear for not at least getting the 4.10's. For just over a $100 it should have been a no brainer!:banghead: I doubt I would be re-gearing if I already had those but as everyone says on here, if you are going to go through the hassle of re-gearing you might as well do the 4.56 or 4.88's. Moving up to a Cummins would be the ideal situation but trucks have gone up so much since I bought mine that I can't afford to do that right now.