Gen 4 6/4/21 UConnect Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sagscout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My Uconnect issues have driven me to the point where I'm considering getting rid of the truck and buying a different make.

I'm happy with every other aspect of my 2018 Ram Big Horn (43K miles) with the 8.4 Uconnect, but this is honestly a deal breaker. Since February's update the Uconnect is non-functional 25% of the time. The back-up camera doesn't work, the touchscreen is unresponsive, I turn off the truck, get out of the vehicle, and walk away with the radio just continuing to play. CarPlay is another disaster that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Today, after the update it seemed fine until the audio disappeared after running an errand. I had sincerely hoped that this update would solve the issues from the last update but it appears to have made it worse. I need a backup cam and car play navigation to work for safety and convenience.

I bought this truck specifically because it had the features I required. CarPlay is one of them. A working backup cam and heat/AC controls are also important. It's now a toss-up if any of these things will work whenever I start the truck. Taking it to the dealer is about as useful as asking my kids to troubleshoot it.

Trade-in value is high at the moment and I think it's time to look for a vehicle with electronics that are not completely screwed.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My Uconnect issues have driven me to the point where I'm considering getting rid of the truck and buying a different make.

I'm happy with every other aspect of my 2018 Ram Big Horn (43K miles) with the 8.4 Uconnect, but this is honestly a deal breaker. Since February's update the Uconnect is non-functional 25% of the time. The back-up camera doesn't work, the touchscreen is unresponsive, I turn off the truck, get out of the vehicle, and walk away with the radio just continuing to play. CarPlay is another disaster that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Today, after the update it seemed fine until the audio disappeared after running an errand. I had sincerely hoped that this update would solve the issues from the last update but it appears to have made it worse. I need a backup cam and car play navigation to work for safety and convenience.

I bought this truck specifically because it had the features I required. CarPlay is one of them. A working backup cam and heat/AC controls are also important. It's now a toss-up if any of these things will work whenever I start the truck. Taking it to the dealer is about as useful as asking my kids to troubleshoot it.

Trade-in value is high at the moment and I think it's time to look for a vehicle with electronics that are not completely screwed.
You might get lucky and have it replaced under warranty for known issues. If not, you'd likely enjoy an aftermarket option with car play too and even your broken radio is worth something in parts.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Sagscout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm not aware of an aftermarket unit I can install that will give me all of the functions the Uconnect incorporates, like trailer brake settings, HVAC settings, etc...Is there a replacement that will pick up these features?

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A lot of people that do not have the uConnect system fail to realise just how intergrated it is with the various systems on the vehicle. Ours went bonkers last summer but finally settled down, for the most part, a month afterwards. The screen looks like it is delaminating near the top but so far it "mostly" works. The 8.4 uConnect in my 2011 300C did not have as many features as our current RAM does but it always worked and never had any issues. My concern with taking it in for warranty repairs is they probably do not have a replacement unit due to this "chip shortage" and in our area there are NO rental cars available and this is our only tranposrtation.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm not aware of an aftermarket unit I can install that will give me all of the functions the Uconnect incorporates, like trailer brake settings, HVAC settings, etc...Is there a replacement that will pick up these features?
As far as I know, the big name manufacturers like Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer can retain these features but require the installation of interface modules to make it appear in the headunit. I don't have one, but I think there are many conversations on the topic in the audio and electronics section.
A lot of people that do not have the uConnect system fail to realise just how intergrated it is with the various systems on the vehicle. Ours went bonkers last summer but finally settled down, for the most part, a month afterwards. The screen looks like it is delaminating near the top but so far it "mostly" works. The 8.4 uConnect in my 2011 300C did not have as many features as our current RAM does but it always worked and never had any issues. My concern with taking it in for warranty repairs is they probably do not have a replacement unit due to this "chip shortage" and in our area there are NO rental cars available and this is our only tranposrtation.
You'd be a good example of someone who could benefit from his broken radio (if it can't get replaced under warranty). If his screen isn't delaminating you could swap it to yours.

Conversely, you "might" be able to repair your delaminating screen. I successfully repaired a delaminating screen but the digitizer also had ghost touches which were not corrected by re-laminating.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My screen is fine. It just seems the software is perpetually broken.
That's good, if it can't be replaced under warranty you could sell your bad radio to offset the cost of either an 8.4 replacement radio or aftermarket option. @RamCares might be able to help with a replacement radio.