Gen V - Water Leak [FIXED]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Theo2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wanted to thank those of you who shared your experiences with the front cab water leak / soaking carpets. Special thanks to @Johnny P.

I was able to share some of the info from this forum to my dealer and it ended up being fixed in less than 36 hours. Here are the findings:

"Interior concern check for water leak drivers floor board wet...duplicated customers concern had other tech apply water while I inspected the inside of vehicle, once it reached windshield it started to leak inside the vehicle by brake pedal we had a window company out to check the windshield and he verified it was not coming from the windshield...the cowl was removed and then water tested the corner drain below windshield, a piece to the side restricted the water from draining properly and caused the water to accumulate enough to reach part of the firewall that was not sealed properly, decided to add sealant around the border and removed the plastic piece that restricted the water from draining out, water tested area, no leaks."

Good luck!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hadn't heard of this particular disturbing potential leak source. Good on your dealer for actually finding it!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good you got it sorted out. Always great to know the final solution for the next person who may have the same problem so thanks @Theo2019. 1 step closer to an amphibious ram.

Johnny P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Happy they Found it......Meanwhile my truck is still at the Dealer !!! I was told now they are waiting on parts..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wonder what the piece of plastic he removed looked like or what its function was if any

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
wonder what the piece of plastic he removed looked like or what its function was if any
If I was to guess I'd say some form of screen to keep leaves from plugging it, but that's just a guess

OP
OP
Theo2019

Theo2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Happy they Found it......Meanwhile my truck is still at the Dealer !!! I was told now they are waiting on parts..

Damn I hope you get good news soon. Speaking of waiting on parts, the dealer told me that the first windshield company that came out said they needed to remove the windshield to find the leak and seal it again. Thank God my service manager was sharp - he told me that right now Gen 5 windshields are on back order and that in his experience when they remove a Gen 5 windshield it ends up cracking 60% of the time so I'd potentially be screwed for a while. Luckily the second company knew their stuff and found it wasn't a windshield issue.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I was to guess I'd say some form of screen to keep leaves from plugging it, but that's just a guess
I'd love to see a picture of this piece of plastic myself.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought someone on the Z forum mentioned a similar leak and it turned out to be bad weld(s) in the firewall area.

OP
OP
Theo2019

Theo2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'd love to see a picture of this piece of plastic myself.

From how it was explained to me it was some sort of plastic gutter that was directing water from the windshield to the side of the truck. It was down in the deep corner near the hood hinges. The dealer removed the passenger side one as well as a preventative measure.

I think the main issue was the firewall seam wasn't properly sealed. The plastic they removed just highlighted where the real issue was and I think the dealer removed it so that water wasn't still shedding onto the new seam.

I'll post a picture of what my area looks like so you guys can compare and maybe identify what was removed.

Johnny P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Please send the pic because my truck has been st the Dealer for 23 days with leaks on the Drivers Side

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heck yeah, pics please

Johnny P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Lemon Lawyer Contacted yesterday my Truck has been at the Dealer for 32 Days ...Enough is Enough..

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Wanted to thank those of you who shared your experiences with the front cab water leak / soaking carpets. Special thanks to @Johnny P.

I was able to share some of the info from this forum to my dealer and it ended up being fixed in less than 36 hours. Here are the findings:

"Interior concern check for water leak drivers floor board wet...duplicated customers concern had other tech apply water while I inspected the inside of vehicle, once it reached windshield it started to leak inside the vehicle by brake pedal we had a window company out to check the windshield and he verified it was not coming from the windshield...the cowl was removed and then water tested the corner drain below windshield, a piece to the side restricted the water from draining properly and caused the water to accumulate enough to reach part of the firewall that was not sealed properly, decided to add sealant around the border and removed the plastic piece that restricted the water from draining out, water tested area, no leaks."

Good luck!

Damn Good Service Dept.
Keep the name of those tech, soemplace safe and follow them Dealership to dealership.

Johnny P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey just to let you know as of today the Dodge service just called and said they found another bad seam in the driver's side wheel well area and they are water testing again..Lol Lemon layers are on it!!!!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say cost cutting but last I checked robots don't get paid!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Are they glued together or are welds missed or broken?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Thats a good question. I would lean more towards glued and not assembled correctly if I was to guess, but its strictly a guess until I take a look for myself.