Getting new tires....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
anybody running 275 55 20,s I'm thinking of going down a size and would like to see some pics if possible.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
anybody running 275 55 20,s I'm thinking of going down a size and would like to see some pics if possible.

That's the setup I'm running. Buts it's going to look a bit funky if your not lowered.
49158869b6aaf7b10a768c982dc6d2b9.jpgc15e45fded935c64c0c520deae7b2c51.jpg

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm lowered in the rear about an inch just to level it a little bit.

OP
OP
P

pmaru77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
decided to stay stock size.

I've decided to stay stock size because they work damn good. It's just that the factory tires are cheap and they wear irregularly and I'm tired of the whop whop noise from irregular wear. and yes, I've had them rebalanced with not much improvement. I've got 24K miles in 3 1/2 years, so I will keep them till its anniversary of 4 years which will be about 30K miles. The footprint of the stock tires is impressive especially when aired down. I have to assume I will be airing down anytime I get to sand that is not wet pack. Given that I do about 8K miles a year and mostly highway, I may just stay away from any heavy aggressive tire. Like I said before, I have a wrangler for any kidney massaging needed. The funny thing is about the Destination AT's they give no info on load rating or number of plys. Maybe tirerack has the info, but I thought I looked already.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Have people had good luck with the Firestone Destinations?

Out here in the snowy midwest, I see four different A/T tires purchased the most. In order from what I see the most to the least:

Firestone Destination A/T
BFG KO (or KO2)
Goodyear DuraTrac
Hankook Dynapro ATm

There are of course others, but those four are the ones I see the most.

The Hankook treads look very similar to the Firestones. The Firestones are more popular out here, and people out here tend to trust a "domestic" tire brand over a Korean one. However, I love the Hankook Dynapro ATm tires. Had a set on my 2013 before it was totaled (tires were less than a month old), and the wife has had a set on her 2014 Grand Cherokee for over a year now. Her Grand Cherokee is unstoppable in the snow.

Stay away from the Michelin LTX AT2 tires. I bought a used set when I got my 2014, trying to be cheap. $200 for four tires that are normally $300+ per tire, with 8/32 tread left, I thought I was getting a steal from a local shop. In very light snow or just rain, they are fine. Any more than an inch or so, and they are not good at all. This October when my favorite tire shop is running a buy-3-get-1-free sale, I will be getting myself another set of Hankooks.

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Out here in the snowy midwest, I see four different A/T tires purchased the most. In order from what I see the most to the least:

Firestone Destination A/T
BFG KO (or KO2)
Goodyear DuraTrac
Hankook Dynapro ATm

There are of course others, but those four are the ones I see the most.

The Hankook treads look very similar to the Firestones. The Firestones are more popular out here, and people out here tend to trust a "domestic" tire brand over a Korean one. However, I love the Hankook Dynapro ATm tires. Had a set on my 2013 before it was totaled (tires were less than a month old), and the wife has had a set on her 2014 Grand Cherokee for over a year now. Her Grand Cherokee is unstoppable in the snow.

Stay away from the Michelin LTX AT2 tires. I bought a used set when I got my 2014, trying to be cheap. $200 for four tires that are normally $300+ per tire, with 8/32 tread left, I thought I was getting a steal from a local shop. In very light snow or just rain, they are fine. Any more than an inch or so, and they are not good at all. This October when my favorite tire shop is running a buy-3-get-1-free sale, I will be getting myself another set of Hankooks.

You forgot Nitto Terra Grapplers. They're one of the most popular tires I see

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
You forgot Nitto Terra Grapplers. They're one of the most popular tires I see

I don't see that many Nittos in my area, but yes, they are very popular in some areas.

GaryB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just had 275-65-20 bfg at ko2 installed. No lift.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 115

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see that many Nittos in my area, but yes, they are very popular in some areas.

Man everyone is running Nittos around here. I've ran a few sets on other trucks and they're the best tires I've had.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
nitto doesnt seem popular by either.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just had 275-65-20 bfg at ko2 installed. No lift.
How much did the bigger tires effect over stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

GaryB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How much did the bigger tires effect over stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using
Tapatalk

I run bfg on all my jeeps so it was a no brainier for me. Had this tire put on my wife's jeep last summer and they ride smooth and fairly quiet.

I however noticed a wobble and discovered my drivers front is missing all the balance weight. So I can't get a good idea on how the truck reacted just yet. Will let you know later today after they are re-balanced.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I run bfg on all my jeeps so it was a no brainier for me. Had this tire put on my wife's jeep last summer and they ride smooth and fairly quiet.

I however noticed a wobble and discovered my drivers front is missing all the balance weight. So I can't get a good idea on how the truck reacted just yet. Will let you know later today after they are re-balanced.
I was more interested in the effect of the slight increase in diameter and how it effects gas mileage and drivability

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gas mileage may be effected a little bit. Mine went down maybe 1 mpg, but I also have a level, so the change in aerodynamics may be more of the culprit there. Driveability, you'll notice it slightly, they'll be a little heavier especially coming from stock tires which are fairly light.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
OP
P

pmaru77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
275/65/20 will be e rated 10 ply tires which means heavier and a little less mpg. If you get p rated tires in stock size that saves weight which negates mileage loss to a point. The stock sra-s are your best bet for mileage. Excellent road tires, but not great at much else. If I would have kept my stock 20s I was leaning towards bfg at in stock size that are 8 ply. So a bit heavier but not as heavy as the 10 ply
And the 275/65/20 is the same width as stock. The first number listed is width and 275 is the same as 275!!

Whoa there buddy, 275 width tires do not measure out the same depending on the mfgr. Go look at TireRacks specs on the tires and you will see that the 275 for one tire measures different than another tire. Granted, not much difference, but a difference. Maybe the 275 is measured at the width that does not touch the road, in other words, it is not the footprint.