Going into limp mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnbrown8907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2005 5.7 runs strong. Recently it started going into limp mode and shutting off completely while driving. I was thinking it was an O2 sensor before it did the same thing a couple years ago and I replaced both down steam sensors and I’m thinking it’s the upstream acting up now. Talking to a guy at work and he said it might need to have the computer “flashed” what are your thoughts? What is flashing?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Shutting off while driving is dangerous. If you don't know what Flashing the computer is, take it to a quality shop and let them fix the truck.

OP
OP
J

Johnbrown8907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Shutting off while driving is dangerous. If you don't know what Flashing the computer is, take it to a quality shop and let them fix the truck.
Yeah I know andi want planning on doing anything with the computer. I can and do simple things but leave electronics to pros. What’sa reasonable price to flash the computer?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Yeah I know andi want planning on doing anything with the computer. I can and do simple things but leave electronics to pros. What’sa reasonable price to flash the computer?
That may not be the solution. First step is proper diagnostics. It will be throwing error codes. First step is to record all of them, then look them all up. Once you have that info it will be way easier to determine next steps. Could be something real simple like a dirty throttle body or plugged injector, bad O2 sensor, bad coil pack and a wack of other things. None of which is cured by flashing the computer. Once you get the error codes pulled we might be able to be more help.