Going old school on a 1987 B350. I have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnB1961

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all. I've recently picked up a 1987 B350 Van that is in really good shape for cheap. It has the 360 motor with a Rochester 4bbl carb.

1. What I want to do is change over the ignition and charging system from the ECM/PCM (whatever that year calls it). Totally delete it if possible.

I've looked up the videos and parts for the voltage regulator bypass... too easy.

2. I would like to swap out the non vacuum advance distributor for one with vacuum advance. Since it has the Rochester 4bbl this should be an easy deal right??

3. After that I'm doing a CAT delete. Already checked out the adapters for the no foul plug deals for the O2 sensor.
I can't seem to find any info on spark plugs though?
Since it should be running leaner after the delete... would I not benefit from running cooler spark plugs?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Kodachrome Wolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 360 V8
While I'm not overly familiar regarding the Chrysler Lean Burn system removal, I do have a stock non-feedback setup 360 in my truck, so I might be able to offer a touch of insight. I've heard of some folks using a GM HEI style ignition setup, but I'd need to do some research on that to better understand Lean Burn removal conversions.

Regarding more conventional distributors, Chrysler did something funny with the standard distributor for emissions it seems in the 80s. On my engine the distributor is fed by a ported vacuum switch on the intake. The switch delivers full manifold vacuum to the distributor with the engine cold. Once the engine warms up, it switches to ported vacuum. You could probably get away with just ported vacuum advance with an aftermarket vacuum advance distributor. The QuadraJet should support that, but I haven't dealt with many that were designed for a feedback system, assuming they just didn't tack a throttle position sensor on the side and called it good.

Also regarding the QuadraJet, it might be worth taking it apart anyway and seeing if the well plugs in the bottom have been sealed up.
Img_2814.jpg

Those are just tacked in with a bit of pot metal and as they age, they can leak fuel out of the bowl and into the engine, so it floods the motor a bit and takes a moment to get fuel back up into the bowl. A bit of JB Weld tactically applied solves that. I had my QuadraJet rebuilt by a fellow I work with who used to run them religiously in the 70s and 80s, so he was able to point out all the intricacies there.

If you're pulling the cats, related smog equipment, and the Lean Burn system, why would you need an O2 sensor anyway? You could just stick an appropriate plug in that **** on the manifold. That anti fouler trick for OBD II systems where people are trying to fool the downstream O2 sensors into thinking everything is okay. OBD I systems just have an upstream sensor that has no idea if the converters are there or not.

You really shouldn't need to change to a cooler plugs after removing the converters unless you're planning on keeping the engine wound up at high RPM all day. The carburetor is handling your fuel/air mix in a non-feedback setup. Changing the jets can have an affect on how lean/rich you run things off idle, but on a stock engine, the original jetting is probably more than adequate. All Lean Burn was mostly doing was adjusting ignition timing to, well, run lean. If you run into a pre-ignition issue while at normal cruise operation with the initial timing set correctly, then it might be worthwhile to step down one heat range.

1970Pelle

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
90 W150,ShortBed/87 Ramcharger 2WD project
Engine
W150 318,4bbl,auto4x4 VGC/ 87 Ramcharger 318/904 VGC
You won't have any trouble at all. I have a 1990 that has been changed from TBI system to a edelbrock intake manifold with a edelbrock 4 bbl carb. It has no EGR valve anymore, and the host of vaccum lines has ended. I'm still using the in tank electric fuel pump.
I just use a fuel pressure regulator before the carb.
For Distributor there are few options. There is a drop in HEI Dist. that is very easy to install and hook up. I like this one best. There is also a Mopar kit you can buy from Summit or Jegs and place that sell Dodge engine parts. That is a drop in electronic distributor and wiring with the small fender mounted control module. It comes complete with cap,rotor, spark plug wires and instructions. Very easy install.
As far as your engine running lean. That shouldn't be a problem at all. Everything you have installed in adjustable, and your engine will be operating as a Carbritated engine. Which are very easy to set up. And just buy two O2 sensors bungs and screw them in and your done with them.
them move the wiring that is now unused, wrap it up with wire ties and hid it. Along with all the unused vaccum hoses.
So easy a Chevy owner could do it.

Here is the link to the add on Distribtor system. Its only $129.00

OP
OP
JohnB1961

JohnB1961

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You won't have any trouble at all. I have a 1990 that has been changed from TBI system to a edelbrock intake manifold with a edelbrock 4 bbl carb. It has no EGR valve anymore, and the host of vaccum lines has ended. I'm still using the in tank electric fuel pump.
I just use a fuel pressure regulator before the carb.
For Distributor there are few options. There is a drop in HEI Dist. that is very easy to install and hook up. I like this one best. There is also a Mopar kit you can buy from Summit or Jegs and place that sell Dodge engine parts. That is a drop in electronic distributor and wiring with the small fender mounted control module. It comes complete with cap,rotor, spark plug wires and instructions. Very easy install.
As far as your engine running lean. That shouldn't be a problem at all. Everything you have installed in adjustable, and your engine will be operating as a Carbritated engine. Which are very easy to set up. And just buy two O2 sensors bungs and screw them in and your done with them.
them move the wiring that is now unused, wrap it up with wire ties and hid it. Along with all the unused vaccum hoses.
So easy a Chevy owner could do it.

Here is the link to the add on Distribtor system. Its only $129.00

Perfect! Thanks!!