New to Forum and Need Help with a 2000 1500 5.2L !!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farmer2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Hello everyone.

I am new to the forum and need some help troubleshooting my old 2000 Ram 1500 with a 5.2L engine. A little back story. This engine has nearly 270K miles on it and burns alittle oil but not much. It probably leaks more out of the rear main seal and valve covers than it actually burns but it goes through about a quart every 3500 miles or so. Back in November I was on my family's ranch driving slowly up a small hill when the engine started sputtering for a few seconds then died. I have not been able to get the engine running since then. I have done alot of troubleshooting and parts changing but still haven't made any progress.

Current Engine Status:
Good Ignition Spark at the spark plugs
Good fuel pressure when cranking 45+ PSI and the pump sounds good
Engine won't run on ether or gas poured directly into the throttle body
After cranking for 5-10 seconds the engine will backfire sometimes but not a lot
There is no check engine light or codes
Distributor cap and rotor look really good

What I've done so far:
Replaced the crankshaft position sensor
Replaced the ECM with a refurbished module
Replaced the timing chain. Timing chain was original to the motor. I was thinking it was so slack the ECM couldn't compensate for it anymore.
Swapped the ASD relay with a spare to confirm the relay was not the issue.

I am running out of ideas and really looking for some help on what to look at next.

I am thinking of changing the MAP sensor and the Camshaft sensor. I am having trouble finding the camshaft sensor at any online stores. It the type thats a thin plate inside the distrutor that monitors the rotor shaft to determine the cam position. Most websites say this engine doesn't have a cam position sensor. If anyone knows where I can get one, I would appreciate the help.

I've had this old girl since it turned 16 and know I can get here running again with some help from a good group of guys.

TeamKDRT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This just happened to trigger a memory of a prior 1500 5.2 I owned...acted that way when the timing gear failed.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plenum pan still in good condition? If you are getting a massive vacuum leak it should still run but you’ll ingest oil through the engine. Do a compression test on the cylinders? Get a fuel injector test light and make sure it’s firing. If timing is off or engine isn’t seeing rpm signal you won’t get fuel. Clogged o2 sensors could pose a problem as well.

fulltimerart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you line up the timing marks on the crank and cam gear properly? Also you can get a big vacuum leak from where the hoses go into the "fumes cannister" that is on the right frame rail inboard of the passenger door. It is a weird 3 hole rubber fitting on the hoses------I couldn"t find a new one so I made one from liquid rubber and made sure it fit tight. Art