Got a 4" Lift, Shopping for 35" Tires - A/Ts or Highway Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theJester517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Hey guys just looking for advice possibly pictures if anyone has them. I just recently got a 2017 1500 Sport Crew Cab long bed 4x4 Hemi and I'm exploring different tire possibilities. The truck came with the 20" polished aluminum sport rims and Goodyear Wrangler SR-As and at 38,000 miles, they still have a decent amount of life left to them. I bought the truck with a leveling kit installed but removed it and had a 4" Readylift professionally installed with the Bilsteins in the rear and now I'm shopping 35" tires to get that extra 1" of lift over the stock 33". The thing is I bought a really clean set up stock Rebel wheels thinking I was gonna go that route but after bolting them on and seeing how they look, I'm pretty sure I want to stick with the 20" rim. The thing is, they had the original Toyo Open County 285/70R17 tires on them with TPMS which was nice because I swapped them out and my truck recognized them right away, and my Speedo is still dead on but the tires were pretty shot. I still have them on my truck now but to be honest the road noise is terrible compared to the SRAs and the truck sways a bit more. I'm not sure if that would be diminished buying a brand new set of tires but it's an expensive chance to take. I was looking at BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2s, I have them on my old Dakota, I love the look especially the white lettering but I've never had highway tires on that truck in the last ten years I've owned it so I have no clue what they would be like, I know I wouldn't like how it looked. This new truck, I know I love the way the SRAs ride and honestly would buy them if they came in 35" but they don't so I'm exploring other options and the only similar tire that comes in a 35" is the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with them. One thing I noticed was they also come in sizes like 295/65R20 which would actually be a little taller than 35" and roughly 11.5 wide which I figure might save me a bit on road noise and MPGs vs the standard 35/12.50 everyone gets

Thanks in advance20210421_124824.jpg 20210519_095432_HDR.jpg

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
455E9214-FD4B-421B-BC23-E4FA5BC8BAB5.jpeg
Hey guys just looking for advice possibly pictures if anyone has them. I just recently got a 2017 1500 Sport Crew Cab long bed 4x4 Hemi and I'm exploring different tire possibilities. The truck came with the 20" polished aluminum sport rims and Goodyear Wrangler SR-As and at 38,000 miles, they still have a decent amount of life left to them. I bought the truck with a leveling kit installed but removed it and had a 4" Readylift professionally installed with the Bilsteins in the rear and now I'm shopping 35" tires to get that extra 1" of lift over the stock 33". The thing is I bought a really clean set up stock Rebel wheels thinking I was gonna go that route but after bolting them on and seeing how they look, I'm pretty sure I want to stick with the 20" rim. The thing is, they had the original Toyo Open County 285/70R17 tires on them with TPMS which was nice because I swapped them out and my truck recognized them right away, and my Speedo is still dead on but the tires were pretty shot. I still have them on my truck now but to be honest the road noise is terrible compared to the SRAs and the truck sways a bit more. I'm not sure if that would be diminished buying a brand new set of tires but it's an expensive chance to take. I was looking at BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2s, I have them on my old Dakota, I love the look especially the white lettering but I've never had highway tires on that truck in the last ten years I've owned it so I have no clue what they would be like, I know I wouldn't like how it looked. This new truck, I know I love the way the SRAs ride and honestly would buy them if they came in 35" but they don't so I'm exploring other options and the only similar tire that comes in a 35" is the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with them. One thing I noticed was they also come in sizes like 295/65R20 which would actually be a little taller than 35" and roughly 11.5 wide which I figure might save me a bit on road noise and MPGs vs the standard 35/12.50 everyone gets

Thanks in advanceView attachment 248121 View attachment 248122
I have the Nitto’s -35 12.5 on my truck, very little road noise but I haven’t had any others to compare them to. My boss has a stock 14’, he drove my truck once & said he was surprised on how quiet they were. Hope this helps.C0088662-FD49-4FD9-86D5-EF9FE6C1ACA7.jpeg

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
BF Goodrich AT's/ Super quiet at any speed. Third set on three different trucks over time, love 'em.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the Michelin Defenders on my last truck and I liked them. They’re a good street tire for a truck. I’ve had the BF Goodrich tires on my current truck after I wore out the Goodyear POS’s that came in it. The Michelin’s and BFG’s are both good tires that are fairly quiet. They won’t ride as soft as what the Goodyear’s do because they’re a truck tire, not a passenger car tire like the Goodyear’s. You can look and see if you can find the new tires in a load C instead of a E and they will soften the ride up a little.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I can nothing but give praise to the Nitto Ridge Grappler. It's the best hybrid tire I've ever had on a truck.
It might seems more costly at first but compared to others they are really not.
Ours last for over 40K miles now, mostly hwy and dirt road with the occasionally "helping someone getting unstuck" but not too often.
They are good in snow as well, but I've never done any extreme offroad driving. Then I'd probably prefer Trail Grapplers.

151469160_4071935032825889_4117072014409629299_n.jpg

20210218_164017[7436].jpg

PSX_20210323_110909[6607].jpg

I can also recommend Discount Tire.... they have plenty in stock, match prices if you find it for less $ and they'll either ship it to your door or to a DT shop of your choice.

Last edited:

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^ I second Discount Tire as well for price matching and such, plus they give a discount to Fire/EMS/LEO/Military. They also have a decent assortment or wheels as well.

I went with Kenda Klever R/T (hybrid AT/MT) in a 35/12.5/17 on Pro Comp 32s (17x9 -6). They do hum at Highway speeds but are very good, balanced well, have 50k warranty and are super meaty.

D861B9B0-F27F-4D45-8762-107F5E1C53FC.jpeg

Last edited:

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can nothing but give praise to the Nitto Ridge Grappler. It's the best hybrid tire I've ever had on a truck.
It might seems more costly at first but compared to others they are really not.
Ours last for over 40K miles now, mostly hwy and dirt road with the occasionally "helping someone getting unstuck" but not too often.
They are good in snow as well, but I've never done any extreme offroad driving. Then I'd probably prefer Trail Grapplers.

View attachment 248136

View attachment 248138

View attachment 248137

I can also recommend Discount Tire.... they have plenty in stock, match prices if you find it for less $ and they'll either ship it to your door or to a DT shop of your choice.

I’ve got the Ridge Grapplers on my truck. They’re about the same as the BFG KO2’s they replaced on paved and dirt roads. While they do ok in the snow, the KO2’s excel in the snow with their blizzard rating.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
... the KO2’s excel in the snow with their blizzard rating.

I'm not trying to get smart, but I've never heard of a blizzard rating. How do you get this?
Is it measurable? Can it handle more inches of snow than others? Lower temps?
Is it M+S on steroids? Or is it just a marketing thing?

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the Ridge Grapplers and was initially a fan, but after around 10,000 miles on them they turned to **** on any wet road. I had to have it in 4 Auto to go anywhere, and it would still lose traction. For example going up a moderate hill going about 30mph under steady throttle the truck broke traction and started going sideways. Just my experience with them, maybe I had a bad set as it seems most like them... I will never buy them again. I currently have the BFG KO2 on my truck and love them, they are great in the snow and I can even drive in 2wd on wet roads! I also have the Michelin Defender LTX on my RAV4 and love them.

truck.jpg

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out this link.

Not sure why the link didn't work...

here it is...

(Lea en español)
multipleArticles_mountainSnowflake.png

A three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol branded on a tire's sidewall indicates the tire meets required performance criteria in snow testing to be considered severe snow service-rated. Originally used as a designation for winter tires, the 3PMSF symbol is now featured on some all-season and all-terrain tires with snow performance that meets the testing criteria.

• Testing measures a tire's acceleration traction on medium-packed snow only. Braking and turning on snow, along with ice traction are not components of the test.
  • Tires branded with the 3PMSF symbol are expected to provide improved snow traction beyond a standard M+S branded all-season tire.
Note: 3PMSF-branded all-season and all-terrain tires cannot match the traction of dedicated winter / snow tires in all winter weather conditions and should not be considered a replacement for where and when a dedicated winter tire is needed.

In 1999, The U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association (USTMA) and the Rubber Association of Canada (RAC) agreed on a performance based standard to identify passenger and light truck tires that attain a traction index equal to, or greater than 110 (compared to a reference tire which is rated 100) during the specified American Society for Testing and Materials traction tests on packed snow. The standard helps ensure drivers can easily identify tires that provide a higher level of snow traction, and tires meeting that standard are branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.

Note: A Highway Safety Code regulation passed September 17, 2008 for Quebec, Canada, stipulates that: "Between 15 December to 15 March, the owner of a taxi or passenger vehicle registered in Quebec may not put the vehicle into operation unless it is equipped with tires specifically designed for winter driving, in compliance with the standards prescribed by government regulation. The prohibition also applies to any person renting out passenger vehicles not equipped with that type of tires."

Starting December 15, 2014, the Highway Safety Code regulation specifies only tires bearing the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol will be considered acceptable winter/snow tires in Quebec.

"A three-peak mountain snowflake symbol branded on the tire's sidewall indicates the tire meets required performance criteria in snow testing to be considered severe snow service rated."

What's the difference in snow traction between M+S (Mud and Snow) branded tires from the past, modern all-season tires with M+S branding and a purpose-built winter/snow tire? While many drivers probably aren't absolutely sure, it can be the difference between getting to work, getting home or getting stuck.

The original definition of M+S (Mud and Snow) tires is based on the geometry of the tread design and requires no actual performance standard to achieve. The M+S designation was first used to differentiate the knobby, bias ply tires intended for use on muddy and/or snow-covered roads from the straight rib tires used on early cars or trucks. Tires with tread designs that meet the definition may be branded with the letters "M" and "S" in several different ways (e.g., M&S, M+S, M/S, MS, etc.) at the discretion of the tire manufacturer.

When early radial ply tires were also found to deliver more snow traction than the straight rib, bias ply tires, the tire companies introduced all-season tires. Supported by advertising, all-season tires have presented an unspoken promise that they, throughout their life, can provide traction for all seasons...through spring's rain, summer's heat, fall's cooling and winter's snow. While this combined offering has made all-season tires popular, many drivers have learned that a geometric definition doesn't guarantee winter snow and ice traction.

SERVICE WITH A SMILE

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
... I had to have it in 4 Auto to go anywhere, and it would still lose traction.

That's what I had to do with the factory SR-A(?) tires.... total trash!

I know we all have our favorite brands, but we had Nitto's on several vehicles and until they disappoint me (like LG did) I want nothing else :)

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
  • Testing measures a tire's acceleration traction on medium-packed snow only. Braking and turning on snow, along with ice traction are not components of the test.

• Tires branded with the 3PMSF symbol are expected to provide improved snow traction beyond a standard M+S branded all-season tire.

Oh my... "provide improved snow traction" but only when you accelerate.

Seems like a lot of resources wasted to promote a symbol which doesn't really do much...

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I had to do with the factory SR-A(?) tires.... total trash!

I know we all have our favorite brands, but we had Nitto's on several vehicles and until they disappoint me (like LG did) I want nothing else :)

Glad you like them and have had good luck with them! They're just not for me.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the Ridge Grapplers and was initially a fan, but after around 10,000 miles on them they turned to **** on any wet road. I had to have it in 4 Auto to go anywhere, and it would still lose traction. For example going up a moderate hill going about 30mph under steady throttle the truck broke traction and started going sideways. Just my experience with them, maybe I had a bad set as it seems most like them... I will never buy them again. I currently have the BFG KO2 on my truck and love them, they are great in the snow and I can even drive in 2wd on wet roads! I also have the Michelin Defender LTX on my RAV4 and love them.
That is strange. I had Ridge Grapplers on my 2wd for 50k miles, and I live in an area that floods quite frequently. Never once had a traction issue. We do not get much in the way of ice or snow, but we average nearly 60" of rain per year and localized flooding a few times per year.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
That is strange. I had Ridge Grapplers on my 2wd for 50k miles, and I live in an area that floods quite frequently. Never once had a traction issue. We do not get much in the way of ice or snow, but we average nearly 60" of rain per year and localized flooding a few times per year.

They are the only one who has had this problem with that tire that I've read and it was from almost 3 years ago.

With that said Ridge Grapplers!!!
20210513_141920.jpg

Last edited:

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have come across some that have had the same issues I had with them, but most seem to really like them. I did love them at first too, great traction in all conditions, and quiet on the highway. It was around 10,000 miles that I noticed the wet weather traction starting to get bad. They still looked new and were wearing evenly as I rotated them every 5,000 miles, but they continued to get worse and worse. I even air downed to 30 psi, which helped a little but not enough. It got to the point I was white-knuckling it any time the roads were wet. It was like the rubber compound changed as the tire wore. They had plenty of tread life left, but I couldn't take it anymore. So I moved on to the BFG KO2 and I'm super happy with them so far. The traction is great, super smooth, quiet, and I got a bigger tire that is actually lighter than my old set up with the Ridge Grapplers. Maybe I got a bad set of the Grapplers... made on a Monday when everyone was hungover lol.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I have come across some that have had the same issues I had with them, but most seem to really like them. I did love them at first too, great traction in all conditions, and quiet on the highway. It was around 10,000 miles that I noticed the wet weather traction starting to get bad. They still looked new and were wearing evenly as I rotated them every 5,000 miles, but they continued to get worse and worse. I even air downed to 30 psi, which helped a little but not enough. It got to the point I was white-knuckling it any time the roads were wet. It was like the rubber compound changed as the tire wore. They had plenty of tread life left, but I couldn't take it anymore. So I moved on to the BFG KO2 and I'm super happy with them so far. The traction is great, super smooth, quiet, and I got a bigger tire that is actually lighter than my old set up with the Ridge Grapplers. Maybe I got a bad set of the Grapplers... made on a Monday when everyone was hungover lol.

Gotta have those Wednesday tires. ;)

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only issue I had with them was my own fault. I didn’t rotate them for the first 40k miles I had them. I rotated them, then about 5k miles later I went and had them rotated and balanced, but they were worn so unevenly they wouldn’t balance and I had a horrible vibration above 70, so I got rid of them at 50k miles. They still had over 1/4” of tread on them when I got rid of them, so they still had plenty of life had I not been an idiot and rotated them like I was supposed to.